Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Have all the info sessions in region 3 been completed? If not what's your upcoming session date?

Comment

• Originally posted by SgtScott31 View Post
      I think the Birmingham session was a little opposite of what you describe in Miami hollowpoint. They did say some very positive things about the job and showed videos of raids and FLETC, but they definitely wanted to get the point across that the job was not for everyone. The emphasized the low starting pay, the fact that the gov did not pay for the first move, and the unbelievable PT that was involved for the FIT test & FLETC. He was very "to the point" and I was glad to hear it.

Here's the impression I got personally:

-First 3 years (including FLETC) are going to be dirtywork w/low pay and will not be that fun

-Fourth year with movement into 1811 and GS12 (high probability GS13) pay + LEAP pay + co. phone + G-ride = make the first 3 years worth it

-Now has been the best time to apply for the USMS in close to a decade, and with the new John Walsh Federal (sex offender registration) Act in place, a ton of work will be available for the DUSMs

-Tons of opportunities within USMS once the 1811 status is reached (not just fugitive work)

-The highest probablity of getting into a location where you actually want to stay among the Fed LE agencies

It seems to me the hardest part is making it to the interview. If you make it there, then you have a very good chance of getting hired. The Senior DUSM advised that there will probably be quite a few positions opening in Region 3. He even told those who had applied in other regions that, although the other Regions may be moving along pretty quickly, if Region 3 has more DUSM positions, then those in the Region 3 session today may have a higher probability of getting hired there than other Regions they have already attended. We were told that if our application (i.e. credentials) is good enough, we will be notified of an interview late Oct/early Nov. Good luck to everyone.
      Thanks for the good information. Sounds like you got a little more info then i did. Dont get me wrong, they made it very clear that the job wast not for everyone, but they did not go into deep details about the rest of the process.

They didnt say anything about when to expect an email about the interview. Im in the central florida area so im hoping that they have positions around orlando or something, all they kept talking about was Ft. pierce down, im hoping thats not the only places.

Im one of those typical guys that just got a house, i like where i live, then this came up. Not saying i couldnt work around it but im hoping if i get the chance to be hired it would be close.

Comment

• I will say this.....If you're hoping for FL prepare for Miami. The reason they made reference from Ft Pierce down is because they fall under Miami's District. But to even get any of those you'll have to go through Miami first. Most of not the rest of FL are hard to get for current DUSM's, not hard to fill for new DUSM's. Even Ft. Pierce, West Palm, and Ft. Lauderdale are sought after. I don't see anyone getting near Orlando either. It's like a well kept secret.
        Last edited by manstown; 08-21-2009, 01:08 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by manstown View Post
          I will say this.....If you're hoping for FL prepare for Miami. The reason they made reference from Ft Pierce down is because they fall under Miami's District. But to even get any of those you'll have to go through Miami first. Most of not the rest of FL are hard to get for current DUSM's, not hard to fill for new DUSM's.
          Why is it hard to get other positions in the state, or is it because they just need people from Ft. Pierce down?

Comment

• Originally posted by hollowpoint40 View Post
            Why is it hard to get other positions in the state, or is it because they just need people from Ft. Pierce down?
            Because Miami is where they need the bodies. I would even go as far as saying any FL hires will be in Miami. For FCIP that is. Like I said, Miami is just like Superior Court in DC. People take the job to get on and leave in masses when their time is up to OPREF. The other offices in FL are pretty sought after by current DUSM's.

Comment

Because Miami is where they need the bodies. I would even go as far as saying any FL hires will be in Miami. For FCIP that is. Like I said, Miami is just like Superior Court in DC. People take the job to get on and leave in masses when their time is up to OPREF. The other offices in FL are pretty sought after by current DUSM's.
              Thanks for the information. Def. not an area i want to work but i guess we will see what happens. Im just happy to be in the process period.

Comment

• If you want the job and can put up with it for 3 years it will be worth it. After that you go to where you want to go. Know a few guys that bought houses before they were hired and had to move with the offer. They just rented their house back home and when the time came.....moved back home into their house.

Comment

If you want the job and can put up with it for 3 years it will be worth it. After that you go to where you want to go. Know a few guys that bought houses before they were hired and had to move with the offer. They just rented their house back home and when the time came.....moved back home into their house.
                  Yea i knew when i got the house that this could happen, but i have family down south anyway so im not really left in the cold. In a perfect world i would work north of central florida instead of south, but who knows. I moved out of south florida last year because i really dont like it there.

So are you a current DUSM in miami?

Comment

• Manstown, you stll giving out good information.

I have a quick question for you.... say if they call me and said today is your lucky day we are offering you a job in DC ( and i say DC because I'm in region-2) and I tell them, NA, I dont want to go to DC, but can you place me in Raleigh, which is still in region-2.

What are the chances they will place me in Raleigh and how much time do i have to take the DC offer.....
                    Losing is not an "Option"

Comment

• hollowpoint,

Not a DUSM in Miami. But I have a guy from my class down there.

Slow Down,

I'd be very cautious of doing that. Two things on that. One, just think about how many people are in the waiting for the job. If you say "no" to DC that might be the only call you get. Second, I wouldn't bank on getting Raleigh.....there are many current DUSM's in waiting trying to get down there. The places you guys are going, and it's the way it went for us, are the places people won't go to. I'm not telling you not to try and ask.....but if you say Raleigh or nothing, I wouldn't wait for the phone to ring again. The only people that I've seen or heard of getting their District changed are the co-ops and shining star folks. And it wasn't their doing. We have quite a few people here trying to go to any office in NC.

My advice, and take it as that, is that if you get offered the job, take it, gain the experience, do your job well and after 3 years put in for where you want to go. The Marshals may be one of the only agencies that will let you go where you want as long as there's openings and the Marshal of the District approves it. I have yet to see people NOT get where they want to be.

Comment

• Manstown, thanks

I was told during my Information session in "TN" that 95% of region-2 NEW HIRE FCIP will be going to DC.....and lord behold after the session was over about 6 people walked out....I'm ready to go anywhere they send me....

I'm just waiting on the call..... I've already broke down the odds of me going to DC and the family is behind me so I'm good.

I was also told by another Marshal the same thing DON'T BANK ON COMING BACK TO NC, that there are Marshals in line waiting to come here..lol... lol...

Manstown.... thanks for the information....I'm just waiting on the call.

another question... when they call you ....do they give you a time limit 24,48 or 72 hours to reply back... or do you have to tell them on the spot... ????

Comment

• I can only speak from my experience. But when they called me they offered me the job and DC. I jumped at the offer except for the pay. But like I said a few posts back, the woman made an offer to me based on what she was offering everyone. After I drew out my experience and education that was changed. She even recognized that someone screwed up with my offer. I would talk it over with the family about all the places you, and they, could wind up going. That way you all know what could be. I wouldn't chance saying "can I think it over" and then they forget to call you back and you can't get in touch with them to except. I was called offered the job and had to except there and then. The job is great, but family is always the most important thing. And I will tell you this, USMS looks at it the same way as far as family is concerned. The two agencies I was with before USMS thought it went job then family. Not USMS. Family comes first. And if they're not happy, you can't be happy.
                          Last edited by manstown; 08-21-2009, 08:47 PM.

Comment

• manstown,
                            What are the chances of being made an offer for the Virgin Islands or Puerto Rico? I'm not trying to get put there, but like mentioned before it is the "family" issue. I know the DO will be priority for new hires, but just wondered if you knew any inside information about hiring needs for the Carib. Thanks...

Comment

• Puerto Rico maybe. And that's a big maybe. Virgin Islands not likely at all. I don't think they will be sending anyone to either place. Not because there is a line to get there, but because there is more work on the 48 in the bigger cities that need to be addressed. For Region 3 expect Miami and ATL with Miami getting the bulk of the hires and a few to Birmingham.

Comment

• Manstown,

Thanks....

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7819 users online. 450 members and 7369 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X