300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mixed answers...

I have done some research on this site about the interview process with the USMS. I am curious if anyone can definitively say if the only time I will be required to travel to the region I apply in is for the information session. I live in OR and would be flying to ATL for the session. Can I interview with the folks here in Portland if I get picked up for the hiring process at the info session in ATL? I know I will have to work in region 3 for the first three years if hired...but have read various "facts" regarding the hiring process. I did already call the USMS office here in PDX multiple times with no response. The people I did talk to could not give me a firm yes/no. Thanks!

Comment

• Originally posted by 240bgunner View Post
      I have done some research on this site about the interview process with the USMS. I am curious if anyone can definitively say if the only time I will be required to travel to the region I apply in is for the information session. I live in OR and would be flying to ATL for the session. Can I interview with the folks here in Portland if I get picked up for the hiring process at the info session in ATL? I know I will have to work in region 3 for the first three years if hired...but have read various "facts" regarding the hiring process. I did already call the USMS office here in PDX multiple times with no response. The people I did talk to could not give me a firm yes/no. Thanks!
      Yes. You must interview in the region you applied for.

Comment

• Anybody have Miami on the 19th?

Comment

• Is anyone submitting a cover letter with their resume at the info session? I'm torn between including one and not. I know cover letters are almost a certain when mailing, faxing, or emailing in the private sector, but not sure about submitting in person with the Fed. Attending Mon in ATL.

Comment

• I never have sent a cover letter for the Fed, and I have been employed by 3 Fed agencies. I don't think it would hurt though... Just my experience...

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Belick View Post
              Is anyone submitting a cover letter with their resume at the info session? I'm torn between including one and not. I know cover letters are almost a certain when mailing, faxing, or emailing in the private sector, but not sure about submitting in person with the Fed. Attending Mon in ATL.
              Considering that they would take an OF612 or resume, I'm not going to include a cover letter.
              I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

• Attended the info session yesterday in ATL. Good stuff but no fingerprinting like I had read was done at previous sessions. Watched a powerpoint/listened to presenter, watched a couple of videos and filled out/turned in paperwork. Good to hear from and have some contact with Deputy Marshals. Nice Q and A session as well. Sounds like the Marshal Academy is NO JOKE.

Comment

• So, in ATL they mentioned 300 for the sessions, but he didn't know of how many would be hired for Reg 3, did anyone speak with any other Marshal there and get an idea of how many would be hired for Reg 3? The 540 to 600 to be hired nationwide is a small number, big for the agency yeah, but depending what region it is could be just a few hires to over a hundred...

Comment

• Originally posted by nvgonu View Post
                    So, in ATL they mentioned 300 for the sessions, but he didn't know of how many would be hired for Reg 3, did anyone speak with any other Marshal there and get an idea of how many would be hired for Reg 3? The 540 to 600 to be hired nationwide is a small number, big for the agency yeah, but depending what region it is could be just a few hires to over a hundred...
                    I was wondering the same thing at the info session. Just my guess but I would say our chances would be pretty good with what sounds like Miami needing a bunch of guys. For nationwide it does seem small, but I think Region 3 will be at the top of the list for the most guys hired, just my speculation so who knows.
                    "In valor there is hope"

Comment

• re:

Originally posted by borninblue View Post
                      I was wondering the same thing at the info session. Just my guess but I would say our chances would be pretty good with what sounds like Miami needing a bunch of guys. For nationwide it does seem small, but I think Region 3 will be at the top of the list for the most guys hired, just my speculation so who knows.
                      How did they collect all the paper work that is required to leave? I guess the putting everything in a folder is the way to go????

Comment

• Originally posted by borninblue View Post
                        I was told the same thing at my info session in Region 6. We had 300 for the info sessions and the were going to select the top 150 to come in and interview.
                        Last edited by keyz5542001; 08-19-2009, 02:13 PM. Reason: had to correct my misleading information.
                        Information Session: May 2009
                        Interview: Jun 2009
                        Medical Cleared: Dec 2009
                        BI Cleared: Jan 2010
                        Fit: Passed: Jan 2010/Jun 2010
                        FLETC: 07/29/2010

"I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon."

President Bush, Sept. 14, 2001, addressing police, firefighters and rescue workers at Ground Zero.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mr. Belick View Post
                          Attended the info session yesterday in ATL. Good stuff but no fingerprinting like I had read was done at previous sessions. Watched a powerpoint/listened to presenter, watched a couple of videos and filled out/turned in paperwork. Good to hear from and have some contact with Deputy Marshals. Nice Q and A session as well. Sounds like the Marshal Academy is NO JOKE.
                          Same here for miami, the whole thing was only two hours long, no fingerprinting. Why do some have it and some not?

I wasnt expecting them to "sell it" as much as they did, they kept telling us how great it was to work for them. Dont get me wrong thats why i applied because i think it would be a very rewarding job but they were really trying to get people into it, i feel like no one should be there period if they arent into it.

I did notice a lot of people that were not taking it serious there, i dont know why they even showed up. The Marshals also made comments about how a lot of people fail the interview, but that was it. I wish they would have given us some pointers or something, i have only ever done military boards, and i didnt even do alot of them.

Overall it was a good experience and def. some squared away laid back Marshals.

Comment

• I think the Birmingham session was a little opposite of what you describe in Miami hollowpoint. They did say some very positive things about the job and showed videos of raids and FLETC, but they definitely wanted to get the point across that the job was not for everyone. The emphasized the low starting pay, the fact that the gov did not pay for the first move, and the unbelievable PT that was involved for the FIT test & FLETC. He was very "to the point" and I was glad to hear it.

Here's the impression I got personally:

-First 3 years (including FLETC) are going to be dirtywork w/low pay and will not be that fun

-Fourth year with movement into 1811 and GS12 (high probability GS13) pay + LEAP pay + co. phone + G-ride = make the first 3 years worth it

-Now has been the best time to apply for the USMS in close to a decade, and with the new John Walsh Federal (sex offender registration) Act in place, a ton of work will be available for the DUSMs

-Tons of opportunities within USMS once the 1811 status is reached (not just fugitive work)

-The highest probablity of getting into a location where you actually want to stay among the Fed LE agencies

It seems to me the hardest part is making it to the interview. If you make it there, then you have a very good chance of getting hired. The Senior DUSM advised that there will probably be quite a few positions opening in Region 3. He even told those who had applied in other regions that, although the other Regions may be moving along pretty quickly, if Region 3 has more DUSM positions, then those in the Region 3 session today may have a higher probability of getting hired there than other Regions they have already attended. We were told that if our application (i.e. credentials) is good enough, we will be notified of an interview late Oct/early Nov. Good luck to everyone.

Comment

• I went to ATL session also. I didn't get the impression from them that Region 3 had the most amount of positions available. Maybe I missed something. I was thankful they said that you'd be informed where you were selected for prior to accepting the offer if hired.

Comment

• Originally posted by MPDCjock View Post
                                I went to ATL session also. I didn't get the impression from them that Region 3 had the most amount of positions available. Maybe I missed something. I was thankful they said that you'd be informed where you were selected for prior to accepting the offer if hired.
                                I did not mean to imply that Region 3 was going to have the most positions available, but that it seemed that FL had many that were retiring and possibly promotions. As with a couple of other Fed jobs, the location comes the same time as the job offer. If you ask for another location in the region, they may help you out, they may hang up on you. If you don't accept an offer in one region, from what I understood, they don't offer you one in another. The guy in AL also advised that no matter how many regions you apply in, you should only get one interview.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8082 users online. 451 members and 7631 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X