Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not sure if you will have to to do this every time, but be prepared to write a lengthy and detailed summary explaining the surrounding factors, your decision, and outcome.

I have not taken the time to notice, but I am pretty certain every federal employment form or announcement has a Selective Service portion with check boxes.

You seek advice but become defensive when you hear something that doesn't benefit your situation. Surprised you have not developed thicker skin by now. Nonetheless, good luck with everything.
    Last edited by 500pearl; 07-27-2009, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Let me chine in on a Board that I have just joined: the balance of the respondents can pound sand, move on and get a life that does not involve giving you grief.

While enlistment in itself does not confer registration with Selective Service, quite often a recruiter can, does and will “register” you in the process of signing you up. While you say that there is no record; that is assuming that your straight A student of a recruiter spelled you name(s) right and entered your DOB correctly.

While I am familiar with another federal applicant who for other reasons did not meet the Selective Services requirements and was thus barred for federal employment, you have some ammo in that YOU ENLISTED and as an aside, I was diagnosed with OSD later in life than most while in the Corps (USMC that is).

Yes, you were required to register for the draft (which has not occurred since 1940 something and despite what some say, quite a few 20 year olds have no idea they “have too”; which I have used as leverage in cases but that a different matter entirely)

While your failure to register may be the death-nell, you should be able to provide evidence of an enlistment at the same time, service and subsequent discharge for what I assume was a “RE3P, Convenience of the Government, A physical injury but not a disability that interfered with training” as is on my DD214, as evidence that although you “failed” to register, you engaged in evidential steps to show your spirit and intent to comply: IE: YOU ENLISTED IN THE ARMY of all silly things to do.

Anything else PM me and avoid the banter, you dirty draft dodger.
      Originally posted by SSD
      It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
      Originally posted by Iowa #1603
      And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

it doesnt sound like he actually enlisted... if he got DQ'ed at MEPS during the physical, he would never go through with the rest of the process and pick an MOS and signed a contract...

unless i missed where he said he shipped and got the recognition of O.S. during basic

Comment

Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
          Yes, you were required to register for the draft (which has not occurred since 1940 )
          Your credibility is zilch based on this statement alone.

Comment

I'm just baffled how you can actually say you didn't know you had to register...who the heck doesn't know? I'm 28, when I was in high school our teachers told us, counselors told us, PARENTS TOLD US...I could keep going. When I graduated college and went into the Army my recruiter wanted my Selective Service number, he said I had to have it to continue enlisting...I'm amazed they didn't do the same to you. You're catching all this grief because this is something that you should've definitely known to do...maybe you'll remind your kids to do it when they turn 18.

Comment

Ya think? Of course I would tell my kids this is something I have no problem doing. It says your from Missouri, well thats a long way from Boston and I promise you that the SS is not nearly talked about or advertised as some of you guys in this forum make it out to be. Bottom line, I TRIED to enlist, was DQ at MEPS, I signed the contract after the ASVAB before MEPS by the way, I appealed and was still DQ. I know thats not the same as registering for the SS but it shows that im not ducking service, i wanted to serve, the SS is to ensure people dont duck service in a time of need, I get that, thats the truth, as straight as it gets.

Comment

Originally posted by nikmac View Post
                Are you guys for real? First of all I wouldn’t be in this forum asking for advice from strangers if I knew about it, I WOULD HAVE DONE IT! It takes about two minutes to do. I don’t know where your from irishlad2nv but im from the Boston area and its not "part of becoming a 18 year old man", most people I have been talking to haven’t either, im 28 not 19 so I dont get much MTV in my day. As far as my knee goes it has never affected me in my 28 years, about 22 of those competing in a variety of athletics football, track and mainly combat sports, boxing, wrestling, BJJ, so I would categorize that as "silly" to DQ me. I have been to two separate LE academies 18 weeks and 27 weeks respectively both with intense PT and DT standards with no problems. I’m being honest in saying that I had never heard about it until now. Why would I try to enlist (by the way if they mentioned the SS why wouldn’t I do it?) and not fill out a card with my name SS# DOB and address its crazy. I’m looking for some honest, educated advice not to be judged by people that don’t know me, what im about or where im from
                First off, grow some thick skin. Second, I could care less where in the USA that you are from. That means squat when it comes to your failure to register for the Selective Service.

For one, I find it hard to believe that you have never heard of this being that besides MTV there are plently of other areas of news that tell you about the Selective Service.

I could care less that you have been to 2 LE academies. Are you in LE then? If so, on every LE application it asks for your selective service number, being that you are a male, unless you had a secretive operation?

Anyway, you keep going back to you signing this contract for MP. Who cares. MEPS didn't allow you to continue on in to the Military and obviously it didn't mean that much to you if you didn't fix your "disease" or attempt to enlist again in the past 10yrs.

Are you screwed getting a job with the Govt. Probably. Why? Well two things, failure to register with the SS as a male and most likely your attitude.

Either way, good luck.
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by ifineed2 View Post
                  I'm just baffled how you can actually say you didn't know you had to register...who the heck doesn't know? I'm 28, when I was in high school our teachers told us, counselors told us, PARENTS TOLD US...I could keep going. When I graduated college and went into the Army my recruiter wanted my Selective Service number, he said I had to have it to continue enlisting...I'm amazed they didn't do the same to you. You're catching all this grief because this is something that you should've definitely known to do...maybe you'll remind your kids to do it when they turn 18.
                  One more thing maybe one factor in why I never heard of it is that not everyone has PARENTS period, never mind ones that make us lunch, and when they give them that nice present on thier 18th B-day dad sits you down and tells you all about the draft and your duty. My desire to serve came from myself, I honestly do appoligize if I didnt go about it completely the correct way.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                    First off, grow some thick skin. Second, I could care less where in the USA that you are from. That means squat when it comes to your failure to register for the Selective Service.

For one, I find it hard to believe that you have never heard of this being that besides MTV there are plently of other areas of news that tell you about the Selective Service.

I could care less that you have been to 2 LE academies. Are you in LE then? If so, on every LE application it asks for your selective service number, being that you are a male, unless you had a secretive operation?

Anyway, you keep going back to you signing this contract for MP. Who cares. MEPS didn't allow you to continue on in to the Military and obviously it didn't mean that much to you if you didn't fix your "disease" or attempt to enlist again in the past 10yrs.

Are you screwed getting a job with the Govt. Probably. Why? Well two things, failure to register with the SS as a male and most likely your attitude.

Either way, good luck.
                    You CLEARLY dont know what you your talking about, ive been an LEO since 2002 an NO they never asked for my Sel Ser#, When I was DQ in 98 I went another route, payed for college on my own and got a local Govt job right after that. "fix your disease" wow, you need to look at your own attitude.

Comment

Well from the looks of it as your attitude, I am suprised you are a LEO, since you failed to even bring that up before. So for one, change your profile to reflect you are a LEO.

Local govt, is not Federal Govt. I have seen it asked before on Law Enforcement applications/backgrounds asking for a Selective Service number. So either, once again, you dropped the ball or your BI did. Either way, now that we know you are a LEO, then to me it's even more ignorant on your part that you stick to your guns with no knowledge of the Selective Service requirements. But now that you are applying or attempting to apply for the Federal Govt. again I will say this. Good luck. And FYI..I like and enjoy my attitude
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Ya think? Of course I would tell my kids this is something I have no problem doing. It says your from Missouri, well thats a long way from Boston and I promise you that the SS is not nearly talked about or advertised as some of you guys in this forum make it out to be.
                        Are you for real? Are you telling me that no-one in "Boston" has ever heard of the Selective Service? I'm POSITIVE that I can find SOMEONE on this board that is from Boston who has heard of the selective service...and unlike you, they registered. If you're an LEO then you should know by now that you can't fix ignorance...'nuff said.

One more thing maybe one factor in why I never heard of it is that not everyone has PARENTS period, never mind ones that make us lunch, and when they give them that nice present on thier 18th B-day dad sits you down and tells you all about the draft and your duty. My desire to serve came from myself, I honestly do appoligize if I didnt go about it completely the correct way.
                        Am I suppose to feel bad for you? Are you trying to turn this into a, "feel bad for me, it's mommy and daddy's fault" crap? As was stated earlier, take some responsibility, you and only YOU failed to register, YOU dropped the ball and now YOU get to deal with the consequences...deal with it.

Comment

LOL, dude you guys are too much, read what im writing. I didnt say no one in Boston had ever herd of the SS, just that most of the people ive been talking too are not that familiar with it. Im not trying to make excuses, I know I didnt register, but I didnt do it knowingly or with the intent to avoid service. Someone else said the thing about parents telling you about SS, thats the only reason I brought that up so take it easy gunpowder with the TG attitude.

Comment

Well you are making excuses and avoiding simple quetions. Again, good luck.

Comment

What questions? You didnt ask any questions. You dont make much sense LAD, PM me if you have a legit question. Ive explained everything quite well, if you actually read my posts instead of bustin my chops.

Comment

[QUOTE=irishlad2nv;1920937]I could care less that you have been to 2 LE academies. Are you in LE then? Feel free to Insert answer here.
                                QUOTE]

That to me is a question. I'm no rocket scientist...

If you think I am busting your chops, then again, grow some thick skin.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9272 users online. 267 members and 9005 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X