300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selective Service Requirement

Hey I have a question regarding the selective service requirement as it pertains to federal employment. I am looking into federal LE jobs and am in the process with one right now and the issue of selective service registration came up.

When I was 18 (im now 28) I enlisted in the US Army, signing a contract for six years as an MP, I took the ASVAB, and proceeded to go through all the medicals, they x-rayed my knees and I was told I had "Osgood-Schlatter disease" a nonsense knee problem that had never affected me in 4 years of HS sports and never since as I am still an actively competing athlete. I was subsequently DQ'd from the Army and was instructed to appeal by the recruiters, I did and to their great surprise my appeal was denied. I was devastated, the military was my life plan at the time.

Back to the Selective Service, I had never heard of it until now, so I checked and I was never registered, its crazy. So now I have to make long winded explanations about why im not some "softy draft dodger". Will this foolishness end my dreams of Federal LE? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear that the Army shot your dreams down. guess it wasn't meant to be. Every male over the age of 18 has to be regestired with selective service. Even if you were in the military once you get out your required to register if you haven't done so. I registered before I went into the military and never had to worry about it. Bottom line is, if you want the job your gonna have to register like everyone else. It's really not a difficult process to do so if it isn't too late. Might want to go onto the selective service website and look in to doing that or it could screw you over later on.

Comment

Well for one thing is you never actually enlisted if you didn't get past the medical at MEPS. That is something that happens daily.

Now with the whole selective service issue. That's part of being a male and being 18. Sucks, but that's just the way it is.

This may not necessarily end your Federal career dreams, but it will be an obstacle while going through the process.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

It is too late to register 18-26, registering is the obvious choice and I obviously would have. I now know all about selective service differing from active duty, National Guard, or reserves. It is extremely frustrating to have attempted to serve a six year contract, spend over 10 hours between recruitment, ASVAB, MEPS to be DQ for a silly non issue, and now because I didn’t know to fill out a 2 minute post card I can be denied Federal Jobs, loans, or financial aid. I understand and agree with the mission of the selective service, but their are shades of gray its not all black and white. Reasonableness should always be the standard.

Comment

I was pretty sure that when you go to enlist they ask you for your selective service # in the paperwork. if you didn't have it done already they should have either gotten the paperwork for you or told you should have already

its definitely a component of the SF86 (Section 14), at minimum

Comment

Originally posted by nikmac View Post
            It is too late to register 18-26, registering is the obvious choice and I obviously would have. I now know all about selective service differing from active duty, National Guard, or reserves. It is extremely frustrating to have attempted to serve a six year contract, spend over 10 hours between recruitment, ASVAB, MEPS to be DQ for a silly non issue, and now because I didn’t know to fill out a 2 minute post card I can be denied Federal Jobs, loans, or financial aid. I understand and agree with the mission of the selective service, but their are shades of gray its not all black and white. Reasonableness should always be the standard.
            "Shades of gray"? Come on. It's part of turning 18 and being a male. And to think that in the past 10 yrs, have you not heard one thing about the Selective Service? I see commercials on MTV and other stations from time to time. And the "silly" part you speak about on your knee at MEPS. Thats' to benefit you, and the military so that you don't get in the service and have a brain fart and have a knee problem, get out on a medical discharge and get a check every month from the VA.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Are you guys for real? First of all I wouldn’t be in this forum asking for advice from strangers if I knew about it, I WOULD HAVE DONE IT! It takes about two minutes to do. I don’t know where your from irishlad2nv but im from the Boston area and its not "part of becoming a 18 year old man", most people I have been talking to haven’t either, im 28 not 19 so I dont get much MTV in my day. As far as my knee goes it has never affected me in my 28 years, about 22 of those competing in a variety of athletics football, track and mainly combat sports, boxing, wrestling, BJJ, so I would categorize that as "silly" to DQ me. I have been to two separate LE academies 18 weeks and 27 weeks respectively both with intense PT and DT standards with no problems. I’m being honest in saying that I had never heard about it until now. Why would I try to enlist (by the way if they mentioned the SS why wouldn’t I do it?) and not fill out a card with my name SS# DOB and address its crazy. I’m looking for some honest, educated advice not to be judged by people that don’t know me, what im about or where im from

Comment

Found this on their website, hope it helps.

MEN CANNOT REGISTER AFTER REACHING AGE 26
                print this form using Adobe Acrobat Reader Printer Friendly Version

According to law, a man must register with Selective Service within 30 days of his 18th birthday. Selective Service will accept late registrations but not after a man has reached age 26.

Some men may have failed to register during the time they were eligible to do so and may now find they are ineligible for certain benefits.

See What happens if I don't register?

WHAT CAN YOU DO IF YOU DID NOT REGISTER AND ARE NOW 26 OR OLDER?
                If you have passed your 26th birthday and are now being denied eligibility for Federal student financial aid, Federal job training, or Federal employment, or are having difficulty obtaining U.S. citizenship because you failed to register, you have the the following recourse available to you: Explain to the official handling your case (for example, a student financial aid officer) the reasons for your failure to register with Selective Service. A non-registrant may not be denied any benefit if he can "show by a preponderance of evidence" that his failure to register was not knowing and willful. Offer as much evidence supporting your case, and as much detail, as possible.

HOW TO GET AN OFFICIAL SELECTIVE SERVICE RESPONSE SAYING YOU WERE OR WERE NOT REQUIRED TO REGISTER
                If you did not register with Selective Service, and are now a man over age 25, you may be ineligible for certain Federal or state programs and benefits, including U.S. citizenship. Some agencies may ask you to provide an official response from the Selective Service indicating if you were or were not required to register. To receive such a letter from the Selective Service System, please call 1-847-688-6888. Your call will be answered by an automated voice processing system. Please refrain from pressing any numbers, and an operator will soon come on the line to assist you. You may also send a written request to the Selective Service System at P.O. Box 94638, Palatine, IL 60094-4638. Ask for a "status information" letter. You will have to describe, in detail, the circumstances you believe prevented you from registering and provide copies of documents showing any periods when you were hospitalized, institutionalized, or incarcerated occurring between your 18th and 26th birthdays. If you are a non-citizen, you may be required to provide documents that show when you entered the United States. Please include your name, Social Security Number, date of birth, and return address.

For your convenience, you can download the Request for Status Information Letter form, which includes the directions for completing this form. This document is in a PDF format.

FINAL DECISION
                The benefit agency official handling your case, not the Selective Service, will determine whether you have shown that your failure to register was not a knowing and willful failure to register. The final decision regarding your eligibility for the benefit that you seek will be made by the agency granting the benefit (for example, for student financial aid, this would be the Department of Education). In some agencies, an appeals process is available.

* Men born from March 29, 1957 to December 31, 1959 were never required to register because the registration program was not in operation at the time they turned 18. The requirement to register was reinstated in 1980 and applies to all men born on or after January 1, 1960.

Comment

I dont know if you read the fact that I signed a SIX YEAR CONTRACT to be an MP, I went through the process, for "Osgood-Schlatter disease" they DQ me, I appealed they still DQ me, so be it. I wanted nothing more than to serve my country, nothing more than to do my duty. I follow rules and do what im supposed to do, my criminal record, driving record, background all clean. Again I honestly didnt know about it or I obviously would have done it. Im not looking to argue with anyone, im actually pretty bummed out about the whole thing. You judging me telling me "I failed to do my duty" isnt constructive its argumentative and unprovoked criticism..

Comment

Ignorance of the law is never an excuse for the violation of a law. It is unlikely you will be able to secure a letter from Selective Service exempting your failure to register. It is likely that this will become an obstacle in your future endeavors seeking federal (perhaps state as well) employment.

I'm surprised the phrase "selective service" was not mentioned by the recruiter at any point during your application process.

Comment

"This ain't no game, son.

However, despite your insolent attitude, I will give you some help"

Will you show an ounce of class or professionalism, dont disrespect me, I have not disrespected you.

Comment

Might want to grow a little thicker skin man! The military/Federal LE is no walk in the park and if you can't take some "friendly talk" online, you're gonna have problems!

Comment

Originally posted by Hope2BPA View Post
                          Might want to grow a little thicker skin man! The military/Federal LE is no walk in the park and if you can't take some "friendly talk" online, you're gonna have problems!
                          Hooah!

Comment

Thank you thats the road im on, Im actually being supported by both the agencies im talking with so far. They seem positive that it will work out, im just real nervous and dont want to miss out on an opportunity like this for not filling out a two minute form over ten years ago, when I honestly in my heart wanted to be a part of the military.

Comment

500 Pearl will you stop co-signing everybody else’s post, I have plenty of experience and know what is expected in Fed LE, im just trying to get there. Im done, good night.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7931 users online. 209 members and 7722 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X