Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I had my adjility and PHQ test today

I had an agility and PHQ test today

There's nothing really to say about it. Any one cant test at this level. They were testing for both Reserve and Full Time positions.

The thing I was so excited about was there were 149 people there, and of those only TWO!!!!!!!! (me and another guy) were there for the Reserve gig.

This is a 400+ sworn agency.

I applied to this agency more than a year ago for a full time position. I was a financial analyst working for a bank. Nothing of any interest on my background. I was put on a hire list, but not selected and didn't make it to backgrounds (basically, being delegated to the list means they can't "disqualify" me, but aren't interested).

Now I'm approaching them more than a year later for a Reserve position (not full time), and I'm an academy grad. So I'm asking for less and bringing a lot more to the table.

Sooooooo, the reserve positions greatly out number the applicants, and if I can't make it this time it's the beginning of the hint taking process. I've still got a 2.5 years left on my academy certificate, but after that I can take a hint.

I'm 37, and would like to be a reserve the next few years and basically either solidify my interest in this and be full time by 40, or figure I'm better off as a reserve.

"The more corrupt the state, the more numerous the laws."
    - Cornelius Tacitus

What agency or position is this for again?

Comment

I was about to ask when your spelling test was when I noticed you got 'agility' right the second time...
      "The wicked flee when no man pursueth
      but the righteous are bold as a lion"

Proverbs 28:1, inscription beneath NLEOM lion.sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaylaw View Post
        I was about to ask when your spelling test was when I noticed you got 'agility' right the second time...
        LMAO!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Highwaylaw View Post

I actually didn't have to take the written/spelling exam. Reserve applicants have to be academy grads (which negates having to take the "aptitude test" to determine if one would graduate an academy).

However, I do get lazy sometimes with Internet forums in regards to proof reading my posts.

I only did the agility and personal history questionnaire. I actually did take the written exam last year and was ranked 15 out of 45 (that passed both the agility AND the written).

That said, they really didn't test writing skills anyway. Now, if one couldn't read a map, and know their north, south, east and west, well they were dead in the water.

It's for reserve LEO position somewhere in CA. The number sworn should be enough for someone to figure it out. I'm hoping I get trained to a Level 1 reserve. My full academy certificate could allow me do that, but some agencies don't let reserves be out alone unless former full time LEOs.

This department is only taking recruits (academy entrants), and reserves. They are not taking laterals. Odd, but who am I to say.

I also found out they don't use tazers. I won't given an opinion on that other than the benefit of not having to take the ride myself if I was brought on.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

Originally posted by SCV-Sop View Post
            That said, they really didn't test writing skills anyway.
            Gotcha, hmm it seems as if they are lowering their standards.

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTwist87 View Post
              Gotcha, hmm it seems as if they are lowering their standards.
              I think the standards are "different".

Not one agency has similar testing procedures (unless they are a small agency and simply use the California minimum testing standards).

The State T-Test examines one's written English proficiency.

Another department tested one's ability to "follow directions"

Another department tested one's aptitude toward police work (photo memory, and map reading).

Then another tested one's report writing skills in some way.

Along the physical agility front one agency included a flight of stairs, a sprint that included scaling a 6 foot wall, a 4 foot wall, and a 2 foot wall. They also included dry firing a double action semi auto with each hands, but they did not include the dummy drag, but had to balance across a 4x4.

Another agency included a 1.5 mile run, others only include a 500 yard sprint. Most include the 165lb dummy drag, and the 6 foot wall of some kind.

The FBI tests how book smart one is, and if not up to speed on algebra and quick 4 function math they are dead meat. They also incorporated a stress portion in the test. The 4 function math portion has so many questions it is impossible to answer them all. So I just ripped through it as fast as I could and then in the last 30 seconds answered B for everything I didn't get to (I still passed the Phase I).

The FBI tests one's physical fitness and not agility, and crushes any agency so far in terms of fitness requirements. This has to be passed every year while employed as a special agent until age 40. You will never see a fat FBI agent under 40. Then a physical stress test is requried for 40+

The Secret Service has the same fitness test but tiers the minimum score needed based on age. The FBI does not tier the scores. 25 year olds and 40 years olds are held to the same bar.

Are standards lowered? Naw.... They are just different, because the FBI didn't test my map reading ability. So while the SA can identify something complex he's more likely to get lost on the way to the scene than the beat cop :-)

I am however getting tired of the hoops and have really backed off on my expectations. All the above observations are from personal experience and actually taking the tests in the last year. I tried to enter this game too late. Next month I'm 37 so effectively all my 1811 options are off the table.

- Cornelius Tacitus

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10051 users online. 396 members and 9655 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X