300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ice Iea To Pd

So does anybody know of any PD agencies that accept the ICE IEA ACAD as a lateral and pay well? (Washington State does not, so I cant go home, already tried) I am bored out of my gorge with Immigration Enforcement (mostly computer work, processing and jail/prison transport) and just want to go patrol the streets and catch normal bad guys =). I am 41 and in good shape but I really do not want to go through another basic academy!

Yes the pay and benies are good at the FED but I am not married with kids and lately job satisfaction and quality of life has had much more of an impact on my life and future.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Most likely not. Some states such as Maryland might accept the UPTP from FLETC. But not ICE/IEA Academy. Be prepared to attend an academy. When I was local, worked with a retired SSA, had to attend the whole academy.
    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

I've never heard of a Federal academy allowing for a waiver for a municipal academy or vice-versa. You would almost certainly have to do another academy.

Comment

I've never heard of a Federal academy allowing for a waiver for a municipal academy or vice-versa.
        Some states will actually accept FLETC CITP (with some kind of add-on required for legal and admin policies), but that's all I'm aware of. Kind of silly, since most FLETC basic courses are fairly interchangeable, with a few things added in or removed, depending on the course. But that's the way it is.
        "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Colorado POST accepts the IEA ACAD for a provisional status and that is usually all the dept needs to hire. Some want patrol type exp but most I am finding go with what POST wants. It is just hard to find a higher paying PD in CO I know I wont get FED pay to start but the OT the first few years would help until I find my place I guess.
          Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. - Albert Einstein

Comment

"Patrol the streets, and catch normal bad guys"

may also mean..

"Answer one loud party call after another, and countless hours still doing paperwork after the bad guys you arrest are out on bail/out of jail."

the grass is not always greener.
            Timelines:

CBPO
            App: 2/12/09
            Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
            Written: 2/20/09
            NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
            TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
            App: 5/5/09
            Geo: San Diego
            Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
            NOR: 7/20/09
            Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
            TO: 10/6/09
            Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
            Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
            Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
            App: 8/17/10
            Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
            TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

Originally posted by DCH View Post
              "Patrol the streets, and catch normal bad guys"

may also mean..

"Answer one loud party call after another, and countless hours still doing paperwork after the bad guys you arrest are out on bail/out of jail."

the grass is not always greener.
              I couldn't agree more. And where I live they have so many budget cuts, there is no chance for OT.

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                Check out Burlington VT.

If you dislike the federal side that much, just take one for the team and do the 6 months. I know its not fun but quality of life is worth 6 months of hell
                Hell I'll do 20 more academies if I get paid. Nothing like getting paid to get in shape and take a few tests and fire a bunch of guns.

Comment

Originally posted by FEDCOPGUY View Post
                  Colorado POST accepts the IEA ACAD for a provisional status and that is usually all the dept needs to hire. Some want patrol type exp but most I am finding go with what POST wants. It is just hard to find a higher paying PD in CO I know I wont get FED pay to start but the OT the first few years would help until I find my place I guess.
                  Georgia POST will accept your training but you still have to attend 200 hours of the acadamey to obtain your certification. I was in you position and left the FED to go back to local. Did not realize that I had it good and the pay was great. I currently went back FED. So I would think real seriously before leaving the FED for local. Leave IEA and go to another agency would be my suggestion.
                  God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

What about BPA? Everybody always says if you want to run and gun the patrol is the way to go.

On a side note, we had a guy that was an 1811 from a large agency, he did not have to attend the academy just do a few FDLE lateral classes and then pass the state exam.

Comment

I have done local LE before as a HUD housing cop for 10 years and a Reserve Officer for 3, so I think I can hop back into the game pretty easy...I just need to find a PD that pays worth the swap. That is the tough part from what I have seen. Even if I do go through another acad.

Comment

Or become a DO on FUGOPS
                        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by FEDCOPGUY View Post
                          I have done local LE before as a HUD housing cop for 10 years and a Reserve Officer for 3, so I think I can hop back into the game pretty easy...I just need to find a PD that pays worth the swap. That is the tough part from what I have seen. Even if I do go through another acad.
                          Austin, TX. Great pay for local LE.

Comment

If you want to run and gun come to the BP and get your 11 non comp, AUO, double sundays on mids and 45 ACT OT every pay period if you want it. But you will still have to attend the academy, but then again, you will not miss a beat on the pension or AL/SL and you will make more money. No domestic calls or traffic tickets in the patrol.

Comment

Aren't there some states where you can challenge the basic course by taking and passing their POST exam (through attendance waivers of course)???

I do miss the tight unit cohesion amongst ones brother officers out on the field fedcopguy.
                              Timelines:

CBPO
                              App: 2/12/09
                              Geo: Revised; CA Long Beach, San Bernardino, L.A.
                              Written: 2/20/09
                              NOR: 3/2/09 (81 no vet pref.)
                              TO: ? (reached my 37th bday 9/09)

IEA
                              App: 5/5/09
                              Geo: San Diego
                              Written: 6/5/09 (75.8 no vet pref.)
                              NOR: 7/20/09
                              Faxed Documents: 7/7/09
                              TO: 10/6/09
                              Mailed Documents: 10/16/09
                              Oral Interview: 12/02/09 Passed

BPA
                              Geo: SW Border-El Centro/San Diego Area
                              App: 8/17/10
                              Written: 10/6 Passed (73 w/ no vet pref.)
                              TO: 11/10/10 (pre emp forms due 11/22)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8500 users online. 442 members and 8058 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X