300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Airport police?

How do Airport PD's differ from your standard city PD's besides the obvious?

With our dept.....it's just another duty station.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

Depends on jurisdiction.....

The ones in KCMO (that you asked about in another thread) are not LEOs per say...they are classifed as Guards even though one must have a Class A LEO Certificate......

Others, like Los Angeles Airport Police or Washington DC Airport Police are classifed as real LEOs......are treated and paid accordingly....

Comment

It depends on the place. Orlando PD has guys as Orlando International Airport, so for them it's **** off the wrong guy and you're back on road patrol. Good hours for the most part, good schedule, good job.

Orlando Airport - Sanford (or whatever it's called) has their own department, Sanford Airport PD. From what I can tell, they function like a normal police department, just with a different type of jurisdiction.

Comment

IN DC we have the MWAA Metropolitan Washington Airports Authority. They are a full servcie PD with sworn LEOs. They patrol Regan and Dulles airports and have K-9, SWAT, Det, Bike patrol etc. They have to attend and graduate the N.VA law enforcement academy. They have exclusive jurisdiction on airport property and have concurrent jurisidction on roads leading into and out of the airports ie dulles toll road. Good job from what i hear from the guys who work there. Never heard anything bad about it.
          sigpic
          Formerly Username k91376
          " They Took the BAR!! The whole F%$#ING BAR! "

Comment

Seems when i flew in to LAX years ago I saw a guy with a patch that said "Airport Officer"... but he only had a stick and cuffs, no gun.... I recently heard they are armed ,... anyone know the deal with that ???...

In NY and NJ,, the Port Authority Police cover LGA, JFK, and Newark, as well as all bridges and tunnels and PATH trains crossing between the two states.... They have full police powers in both states.

In Maryland, MTA Police cover the BWI airport, as well as Baltimore tunnels, and bridges crossing into MD, the Nice Bridge and the Chesapeake Bay Brdg.

They have the same auth. as a MD SP Trooper..... I think in FLA, Broward Sheriffs cover Fort Lauderdale, and Metro dade covers Miami.

Comment

Chicago Aviation Police attend the same academy as Chicago PD, but are not allowed to carry a gun on duty. It's crazy.

Comment

Philly pd has jurisdiction at the Philly International Airport. NE airport (general aviation use) had its own security guys who came up with their own patch. Most airports in PA use sworn police officers who attend a police academy.
                I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Originally posted by 2971511 View Post
                  Seems when i flew in to LAX years ago I saw a guy with a patch that said "Airport Officer"... but he only had a stick and cuffs, no gun.... I recently heard they are armed ,... anyone know the deal with that ???...
                  Those guys/gals with the tan shirts and green pants with the airport officer patches direct traffic and write parking tickets. They are NOT police officers (nor are they armed). LAX police officers on the other hand wear traditional dark blue police uniforms and have all the gear (i.e. are armed). IMHO LAX/LAWA PD is an excellent organization. There is at least one member of their agency on this board.

Comment

2971511 wrote;

"In NY and NJ,, the Port Authority Police cover LGA, JFK, and Newark, as well as all bridges and tunnels and PATH trains crossing between the two states.... They have full police powers in both states."

in addition, the PA Police are cross-trained as firefighters at these airports.

Comment

It definitely varies from location to location as you can tell. Our department is public safety because all LEOs are cross-trained as FFs. About 1/3 of us are licensed EMTs. The Airport Authority also owns commercial and residential properties around the area so we have those to patrol as well. Our dept has SWAT, K9, Crisis negotiators, Hazmat, and Bikes to name a few. It's obviously not your hard-core police work like urban departments, but we get our fair share of arrests and work pretty close with many fed agencies (aside from TSA). You can build one heck of a resume with all the training we receive. Our EOD guys go to federal schools as well as Hazmat (Anniston WMD & others) & K9 (Lackland AFB).
                      I'm 10-8 like a shark in a sea of crime..

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7265 users online. 316 members and 6949 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X