Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

are applicants changing with the economy?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• are applicants changing with the economy?

Recruiters, Folks on the job already:

Has the current crappy job market done anything to change your applicant pool? Are there better apps in because there are fewer jobs out there?

We are getting a massive amount of applicants in now even with our wartime mission.

M-11
    “All men dream...... But not equally..
    Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
    but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
    for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

In a word: Yes.

More applicants, higher quality in terms of education and intelligence. Probably better backgrounds, too.
    Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored. -- Aldous Huxley
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity. -- Albert Einstein

Comment

Unemployment is presently at the highest level since August 1983.

Given that more people are currently actively looking for work and competeting for less jobs pure logic states that there would be a higher and better qualified applicant pool.

This doesnt even take into account most municipalities, counties, and states are running huge budget deficets. This further reduces the amount of leo jobs available and further increases the competition.

Comment

Any words of advice for a soon to be college grad who wishes to pursue a career in law enforcement? 1 year left of college. My major is in accounting and finance.

Have interned with a local PD. Have a STEP position with CBP and a summer hire spot at ATF. Trying to get into the SCEP program and I am not having much luck. Any words of wisdom?

Comment

Originally posted by TinyTwist87 View Post
          Any words of advice for a soon to be college grad who wishes to pursue a career in law enforcement? 1 year left of college. My major is in accounting and finance.

Have interned with a local PD. Have a STEP position with CBP and a summer hire spot at ATF. Trying to get into the SCEP program and I am not having much luck. Any words of wisdom?
          Yes, good job on choosing majors outside of the criminal/social justice area. Any department looking for qualified applicants will want look for what additional expertise you can bring to the department. All officers will go through the standard POST requirements regardless of education.

Second, stay out of trouble. In these times, there are many qualified applicants and you have to be better than them. An arrest or negative contact can eliminate you.

Third, do not list on-line friends as references, remove any facebook pages you have or a re referenced in. I search all of these social networking sites and often find the tea-totaling, part-time youth counselors with pictures of them with 18 yo kids with drinks in their hands. Don't hurt your own chances.

Fourth and final suggestion. Get to know some officers where you live and get involved. Having people know your name in a good way never hurts.

Comment

Accounting/Finance is required for IRS SA. If your interested in that line, get real world experience in both the LE and accounting.
            But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

At our local department with about 55 sworn, we're seeing a lot more applicants with higher education. If I was in the job market now instead of 3 years ago, I wouldn't have had a chance.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10854 users online. 484 members and 10370 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X