300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Forest Service Ranger

Anyone know how hard it is to land a job with the Forest Service? They have a few openings nationwide. I do not have military or a degree, so would I even stand a chance?

Originally posted by XPD64 View Post
    Anyone know how hard it is to land a job with the Forest Service? They have a few openings nationwide. I do not have military or a degree, so would I even stand a chance?
    I have a bachelor’s degree and 9 years experience as a Police Officer and I have applied several times over the last few years for a Forest Ranger job and I never even get called for an interview.

Comment

In the Forest Service there are Rangers and there are Officers.

Officers are the actual law enforcement for the forest. They are basically the forest cops.

Rangers are the people who take groups on hikes and do all of the traditional park ranger duties.

I am guessing you are taking about USFS Law Enforcement Officer positions, they are VERY difficult to land. Usually you have to have military or prior fed experience to land a position

USFS Ranger positions are usually college students are usually seasonal and have no law enforcement duties, so you would probably qualify for this position.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I was referring to the USDA Law Enforcement Officer opening. I thought they were referred to as " forest rangers" on their own website. It seems like that is a generic term that has different meanings between Federal agencies. Anyway, I figured it would be very difficult since it is a federal postion.

Comment

Just worked with them for 3 weeks. They're officers. BLM are the Rangers.

Comment

It is a Hard position to land, but if you dont apply then you will never know, what their answer is...

Worst case scenario they will say H*LL NO.

Go ahead an Apply

Comment

Originally posted by manstown View Post
              Just worked with them for 3 weeks. They're officers. BLM are the Rangers.
              And thats another tricky one. With BLM there are Rangers and there are Law Enforcement Rangers. Law Enforcement Rangers are the commissioned law enforcement officers. Rangers (Park Rangers) are the typical park ranger positions and do not have law enforcement powers. There have been several BLM LE Rangers who started as BLM Park Rangers, so it could be one way to get your foot in the door. There are usually many openings in the south for BLM Park Rangers and I think they start at GS-3...

Comment

Dude, you can apply, but I'd get some resume type stuff going. It's competitive out there and 99.9% of Fed jobs require a degree.

M-11
                “All men dream...... But not equally..
                Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it is vanity;
                but the dreamers of the day are dangerous men,
                for they act their dreams with open eyes to make it possible.....”

TE Lawrence

Comment

Originally posted by SCDEPUTY View Post
                  I have a bachelor’s degree and 9 years experience as a Police Officer and I have applied several times over the last few years for a Forest Ranger job and I never even get called for an interview.
                  When I wrote Forest Ranger I was referring to the law enforcement officer position. Sorry for the confusion.

Comment

Originally posted by SCDEPUTY View Post
                    When I wrote Forest Ranger I was referring to the law enforcement officer position. Sorry for the confusion.
                    I know what you are talking about, I applied to a 0025 Ranger (Enforcement) position a few years back in the National Forest we have here near my house. It was definitely a law enforcement position.

Is Al Cannon still the Sheriff in Charleston?
                    But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
                      I know what you are talking about, I applied to a 0025 Ranger (Enforcement) position a few years back in the National Forest we have here near my house. It was definitely a law enforcement position.

Is Al Cannon still the Sheriff in Charleston?
                      Yes Sheriff Cannon is the Sheriff of Charleston County.
                      Last edited by SCDEPUTY; 07-14-2009, 07:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                        The 0025 series is not at LEO series for the FS. Their LEO are 1801.

Just an FYI
                        I stand corrected. I confused two applications I put in at the same time. The Nation Park police are Rangers (Protection) and have the 0025 classification. The Forest Service police are 1801.
                        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Applied for the Lake Isabella, CA FS LEO opening which closed last month and was notified this week that I was referred to the selecting official.
                          First referral I've received from numerous applications so its a start, but I'm not holding my breath. I'm assuming they refer most if not all qualified applicants and the selecting official starts the weeding out process from there. To any current FS LEOs...is that how it works?

Comment

Originally posted by GB0610
                            That is correct.

The SO will get at least two different lists, maybe three. They will usually choose one list and then select a set amount of folks to interview off of that list.

Lake Isabella is a pit. I have worked there on detail to help the USFS in the area you would be patrolling. The work was interesting, but I think the Bakersfield area, where you will be living, is the worst place on earth. Grey skies, brown soil (all ag fields, which feed the state) and a HIGH illegal alien population. There is no where to live in Lake Isabella, and the only other place to possibly live is Ridgecrest, which is just as bad as Bako...
                            Well maybe since it is such an undesirable location I'll have a better shot of getting hired. Thanks for the info GB.

Comment

The process is long and confusing. What really helps is having a very diverse background/work history/experience very very good KSA writing skills and sheer freaking luck. Oh and we hate being called Rangers.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6796 users online. 304 members and 6492 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X