300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ckopes,

Congrats!!!! I too went for Region one (1), however, my time line so far has been:

Info Center - 2009 July 23
    Interview - 2009 October 05

So far, that is all I've done, LoL!!! Hopefully tomorrow or sooner we'll receive the Tentative Offer (T/O).

My biggest regret is not applying after my first contract with the Marines. Back then, I had no clue that their was a chance to get selected without college, therefore, I went to school to receive my degree in law first.

Again, congrats and go for yours and I'm more than positive you'll do excellent at FLETC!!!!!

Ladies and gents, one more has made it and we should ALL be happy for this person (Ckopes). Go get them, Ckopes :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by Rexeck View Post
      Clark,

Another good way to decrease your run time would be to include some interval runs. Jog slowly (10-12 minute mile pace) for a 1/4 mile or so and then sprint all out for 100-200 meters, then return to the slow jog for another 1/4 mile or so and sprint again. Continue this for 2 to 3 miles and you will see big gains in your running ability. The distances aren't super important, the main thing is to maintain a 100% sprint for 15-30 seconds and then to slow down and recover from that sprint so that you have caught your breath again and you are completely able to go all out again on the next sprint.

Another important thing to remember is to not do the same type of workout every time you run. If you continue to mix it up between sprints, intervals, and long distances you will continue to develop the full spectrum of muscle fibers, thus improving your times. Plus I find the long runs help as a bit of a "easy" day. If you are doing sprint workouts everyday you are gonna burn yourself out on sprinting. Just make sure when you are doing the sprint workouts or intervals you are giving (as if I hadn't already said it a few times) 100%! If you are gonna do half @$$'d sprints, they won't do you any good and you may as well take the dog for a walk in the park to get your exercise.

Good luck!
      Rexeck,

Excellent statement. Indian Drills (Interval Drills) are excellent. The key is to run as you mentioned hard (85% of one's max power) and then recover (usually for 2 minutes slow jogging until one's heart rate drops to 65%) to just raise one's heart rate by sprinting for 200 meters until one's heart rate raises to 85%, again.

People, the recovery is as important if not more important than sprinting, because the constant zip zag up and down is what builds one's Vo2 Max (improves one cardiovascular).

Good luck to all and I hope to see you all in person at FLETC, soon!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by 1stForceRecon View Post
        Ckopes,

Congrats!!!! I too went for Region one (1), however, my time line so far has been:

Info Center - 2009 July 23
        Interview - 2009 October 05

So far, that is all I've done, LoL!!! Hopefully tomorrow or sooner we'll receive the Tentative Offer (T/O).

My biggest regret is not applying after my first contract with the Marines. Back then, I had no clue that their was a chance to get selected without college, therefore, I went to school to receive my degree in law first.

Again, congrats and go for yours and I'm more than positive you'll do excellent at FLETC!!!!!

Ladies and gents, one more has made it and we should ALL be happy for this person (Ckopes). Go get them, Ckopes :-)

Thanks 1stForceRecon!!!! Good luck to everyone. Your time will come. The hardest part is the waiting game...
        USMS-FCIP-Region 2&1-2009
        Info Session, Knoxville, TN- 3/25/09
        Interview, DC- 6/05/2009
        CO- 7/07/2009
        Medical- 7/22/2009
        Drug- 8/14/2009
        FIT Test- 10/08/2009
        FLETC-Final offer 11/23/2009, December Class!!!!!!!

Comment

• I got an email today from HR. I was hoping it was a TO for region 1, but instead it stated I need to fill out the Form OF-306. Apparently I didn't fill it out correctly. I have to fax it within 48 hours of the email and mail the original to HR. I'll be taking care of it right away. I filled out this form 3 times (info. sessions in regions 1, 3, and then 5) I hope this one is from region 5 and won't delay a TO for region 1. They had my name messed up on the email (Middle name as my first name and first name as my last name) I hope this doesn't mess things up.

Any of you get a similar email during the process?
          Region 1 info. session (Philly)-07/21/09
          Region 3 info. session (Birmingham)-08/17/09
          Region 1 Interview (Philly)-10/05/09
          Region 5 info. session (Little Rock)-10/20/09
          Region 1 CO-12/04/09
          Medical Part 1-01/08/10
          Medical Part 2-01/11/10
          Background Meeting-01/10
          Drug Test-01/10
          FIT-02/23/10 (passed)
          FLETC-04/01/10

Comment

• Hello all, I am an applicant in Regions 8 and 5. I fly to Portland December 7 for the interview. I know this question has been asked in other threads, but I am specifically seeking information from those who have recently gone through the process. Anyways, for those of you who passed the interview, what did you do to prepare for it? Thanks in advance.

Comment

Keyz,

You are welcome. As for those who have issues with pull-ups, I suggest doing pyramids of push-ups and pull-ups every day for 10 straight days. In other words:

Monday's, Wednesday's and Friday's - do 25 to 50 pull-ups the entire day (if you can only do 10 or less do 25 daily but if you can do more than 10, complete 50 daily). Complete these, however you can meaning five (5) sets of five (5); or two (2) sets of ten (10) and one (1) set of (5).

Tuesdays, Thursday's and Saturday's - do pyramids of 1 thru 10 and back down to 1.

As for pushup-ups, pyramid by 5's. In other words, start with 5 and move up to 50 and back down to 5. Also, getting a resistance band and doing rotator cup exercises (shoulder exercises) will improve your pull-ups by double in a matter of two (2) weeks.

If you complete these exercises for ten (10) straight days and then take three (3) days off you'll be able to complete double the amount of pull-ups and push-ups you did prior to starting.
              I am pretty good on the push-ups about 70 decent push-ups, 60 decent sit-ups in a min. I can easily do 10 solid pull-ups. Though, it never hurts to improve. I am going to use your running routine. I am also hoping the adrenaline and the race horse mentality kick in to shave off at least 30 seconds.
              Information Session: May 2009
              Interview: Jun 2009
              Medical Cleared: Dec 2009
              BI Cleared: Jan 2010
              Fit: Passed: Jan 2010/Jun 2010
              FLETC: 07/29/2010

"I can hear you. The rest of the world hears you. And the people who knocked these buildings down will hear all of us soon."

President Bush, Sept. 14, 2001, addressing police, firefighters and rescue workers at Ground Zero.

Comment

• Originally posted by ThomasMagnum View Post
                Hello all, I am an applicant in Regions 8 and 5. I fly to Portland December 7 for the interview. I know this question has been asked in other threads, but I am specifically seeking information from those who have recently gone through the process. Anyways, for those of you who passed the interview, what did you do to prepare for it? Thanks in advance.
                There's really nothing that you can do to prepare. Just be honest and stay calm. Dress professionally as you would for any interview.
                Last edited by kraemski; 11-24-2009, 11:56 AM. Reason: Just did

Comment

• Originally posted by keyz5542001 View Post
                  I am pretty good on the push-ups about 70 decent push-ups, 60 decent sit-ups in a min. I can easily do 10 solid pull-ups. Though, it never hurts to improve. I am going to use your running routine. I am also hoping the adrenaline and the race horse mentality kick in to shave off at least 30 seconds.
                  Keyz,

The running in my experience has always been the money getter (both Marines and other Branches). Being you can max out with the push-ups and sit-ups, all you need is the extra push in the run.

When I went to jump school (Static Line) the Army was big on their running. Being in the Marines, all personnel come from a Special Operations Unit (mostly battalion reconnaissance and force reconnaissance), so to get in and pass RIP, we had to run close to a perfect PFT just to get accepted. For my PFT at jump school, I ran a 7 minute and 47 seconds 1 mile and 1/2. I accomplished that run by doing MOSTLY sprint drills, indian runs and hill runs. On the other hand, freefall school they didn't run us like that, because they concentrated more on the skill of diving.

Mostly, people think or have the misconception that big people can't run. I had a Master Sergeant in 1st Force Reconnaissance in 1999, who weighed 312 lbs (of course he had VERY low body fat [4] because the Marines do not allow more than 20% body fat); yet this monster was able to run the 1 mile and 1/2 around eight (8) minutes.

Keep doing my workout, and I guarantee you than within one (1) month you'll improve your time by at least 2 minutes. For those who are close to running a perfect PFT (9 minutes run) you might not knock out two (2) minutes, but will be close to running a perfect score.

Comment

• Just wanted to say Happy Turkey Day to everyone in region 1 and lets take our minds off this stressful waiting game for a few days and enjoy it with our family and friends. P.S. don't eat to much thats extra running and push-ups we have to do. LOL

Comment

• Logic,

I went to my mother's house for Thanksgiving and decided to run this morning. Of course the East Coast is freezing right now, LoL. Well, my motto and of course the Marine Corps motto is, "If it aint raining, we aint training!!!" Needless to say, it's cold and wet out here, right now

Comment

• 1stforce

I am glad that the holiday food is over with time to get back on track and stay focused and that motto I like it alot its the real deal good luck 2 everybody this week might be the week for our email(T.O.)

Comment

Keyz,

The running in my experience has always been the money getter (both Marines and other Branches). Being you can max out with the push-ups and sit-ups, all you need is the extra push in the run.

When I went to jump school (Static Line) the Army was big on their running. Being in the Marines, all personnel come from a Special Operations Unit (mostly battalion reconnaissance and force reconnaissance), so to get in and pass RIP, we had to run close to a perfect PFT just to get accepted. For my PFT at jump school, I ran a 7 minute and 47 seconds 1 mile and 1/2. I accomplished that run by doing MOSTLY sprint drills, indian runs and hill runs. On the other hand, freefall school they didn't run us like that, because they concentrated more on the skill of diving.

Mostly, people think or have the misconception that big people can't run. I had a Master Sergeant in 1st Force Reconnaissance in 1999, who weighed 312 lbs (of course he had VERY low body fat [4] because the Marines do not allow more than 20% body fat); yet this monster was able to run the 1 mile and 1/2 around eight (8) minutes.

No WAY!

Keep doing my workout, and I guarantee you than within one (1) month you'll improve your time by at least 2 minutes. For those who are close to running a perfect PFT (9 minutes run) you might not knock out two (2) minutes, but will be close to running a perfect score.

Comment

• tdparmel,

Last edited by 1stForceRecon; 01-27-2010, 08:45 PM.

Comment

• Hey guys I have been following this forum since the info session. I interviewed in Philly, and passed the interview. The info I've recieved has been very helpful. Just wanted to say thanks for the great info, and hopefully we hear something this week. Good Luck!!!
                              USMS FCIP Region 1

Information Session: 7/22/09 Boston, MA
                              Interview: 10/6/09 Philadelphia, PA
                              T.O.: 12/04/09
                              E-QIP Submitted: 12/09/09
                              Medical 1: 12/14/09
                              Medical 2: 12/15/09
                              B.I.: 12/29/09
                              Drug Test: 1/29/10
                              Fit Test:3/25/10 (passed)
                              B.I. Cleared: 11/29/10
                              FLETC: ???

Comment

• This waiting game is killing me! I try not to think about it but a life altering career change is kind've hard to ignore!! I'm so excited and anxious I can't hardly stand it. Come on TO's!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 20216 users online. 564 members and 19652 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X