300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 500pearl View Post
    I highly doubt it will be an automated response via email. Otherwise there would be no need for applicants to provide responses in the body of the email to the questions set forth on the PDF. Definitely will be a filtering process.
    Maybe, but a lot of "filtering" in applications across the fed (and the private sector) are actually done automatically. Reading the instructions, it sounds like there will be an automated/machine "read" of the preliminary inquiries. The questions aren't really that different than the web "tests" you see for other jobs which give you an automated exam assignment (basically a YES/NO decision and point tree with room for additional descriptors).

Not saying the reply will be instantaneous, but the turnaround may surprise you.

Comment

Originally posted by tdparmel View Post
      I submitted my registration a couple minutes ago. Now, I need to obtain my driving record for the past 7 years. DMV is historically slow.
      I just registered too. It said on the flyer that you had to have at least knowledge of your driving record, if you were not able to obtain a paper document. I could be wrong.......
      ATF 1811 SA
      Applied - 10/13/09

CBPO (GEO - Philadelphia)
      Written Test - 5/11/09
      NOR (87) - 6/10/09

ICE IEA (GEO - Philadelphia)
      Written Test - 6/1/09
      NOR (88.9) - 6/22/09

ICE 1811 SA
      Written Test - 7/28/09
      Written - Passed - 8/10/09
      NOR (80.5 ugggh)

Comment

Originally posted by MontgCounty33 View Post
        I just registered too. It said on the flyer that you had to have at least knowledge of your driving record, if you were not able to obtain a paper document. I could be wrong.......
        Even if you submit your driving record you will still need to write down all of your citations on another form.

Comment

Originally posted by PeeOwed View Post
          Maybe, but a lot of "filtering" in applications across the fed (and the private sector) are actually done automatically. Reading the instructions, it sounds like there will be an automated/machine "read" of the preliminary inquiries. The questions aren't really that different than the web "tests" you see for other jobs which give you an automated exam assignment (basically a YES/NO decision and point tree with room for additional descriptors).

Not saying the reply will be instantaneous, but the turnaround may surprise you.
          Thats true, not to mention it says keep the responses to two lines.

Comment

The flyer said copy of driving record or knowledge of. If an applicant does not have any violations, moving, parking, any kind of citation, then that means that applicant does not need to bring the driving record ($10 from DMV) to the info session. At least that's how I interpreted it to be. Knowledge of, if you are aware you have none, then I think that knowledge is sufficient to write down, certify with your signature.

Comment

Re: the orientation requirement "copy or knowledge of driving record". To get a copy, do I have to get in touch with the DMV of every state I've held a license in? Basically, I have one speeding ticket and one accident (not at fault, but it did ding my insurance for a while) both from quite a while back and under a license from a different state than my current residence. Otherwise my driving record in two other states is clean; but I'm fuzzy on the specific dates of the two incidents and would rather have the official record than a vague date range from my recollection. Should I just track down my record from that one state, or is there a way to get a comprehensive driving record (I suppose there is, I mean, insurance companies must have some sort of access)?

I suppose it's a good thing to have anyway regardless of whether I clear this phase of the process.

Comment

I think you're better off requesting a copy from each state you have considered your domicile. It's more official and may save you money in the long run than if you were to get it from an outside agency. For my state, NY, it's only $10.

But my issue is such as: I know for a fact I have not received any kind of ticket, parking, speeding, moving, anything. That being said, is my knowledge sufficient or do I still need to obtain a record from my DMV?

Comment

Originally posted by lauderdalehawk4 View Post
                  Thats true, not to mention it says keep the responses to two lines.
                  Yeah, that led me to wonder if there was a program "reading" these who would "not compute" beyond the two lines (and if the prior two lines are not grammatical, the line is dismissed as unreadable).

Then again, I've been on boards and groups going over applications, petitions, etc. where we're told, "the applicant only has a page or half a page (or whatever) to make their appeal, anything beyond that can not be taken into consideration" and pending on the rules we either had to throw out "extended" responses or base our evaluation on the content provided up to the set limit.

Two lines though ... that seems a bit "inhuman," so to speak, so I'm guessing at least an initial machine sort.

Comment

Originally posted by 500pearl View Post
                    I think you're better off requesting a copy from each state you have considered your domicile. It's more official and may save you money in the long run than if you were to get it from an outside agency. For my state, NY, it's only $10.
                    Yeah, that's my gut too, 500. Just wanted to make sure there wasn't a standard service similar to credit monitoring agencies out there. I actually _like_ filling out forms and negotiating phone trees, so I guess that says something about my "fed material."

But my issue is such as: I know for a fact I have not received any kind of ticket, parking, speeding, moving, anything. That being said, is my knowledge sufficient or do I still need to obtain a record from my DMV?
                    I can't give you an authoritative answer, of course, but if you got a squeaky clean driving record, I don't see you having much of a problem. Hopefully those who make this first cut might receive some more detailed info as to what to expect, and what to provide to access the orientation.

Comment

Just got a reply back from my registration. I will be going to the info session on July 20th in Burlington.

I guess it was a quicker response than previously thought.

Comment

holy cow!!!!! i guess the HR people in VT are on top of their game!

Comment

I called the guy in Vermont on Monday and much to my surprise I was able to speak to him on the phone. Did not have that same luck at the Boston Office. I guess that is why I am willing to drive an extra couple of hours up to Vermont. I also thought it would be less competitive to get a spot in Vermont.

Comment

Well now we know Vermont actually reads the registration email.
                            They must not have any crimes in Vermont, just kidding.
                            Last edited by 500pearl; 07-08-2009, 10:14 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tdparmel View Post
                              I also thought it would be less competitive to get a spot in Vermont.
                              Does this apply to getting hired as a whole or simply for the information session?

Comment

I think the statement was intended for the info session only. Not for the actual placement upon completion of the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3853 users online. 190 members and 3663 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X