300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shortcop View Post
    The main question mark I had was in regard to whether or not they would start someone with LE experience at a degree at a higher step within the GS-7 scale? The announcement seemed to indicate that they would (it listed a salary range next to GS-7 ranging from step 1 all the way to step 10). But then at the info session, they said that everyone except current Federal employees would start at either GS-5, step 1 or, if they were qualified, GS-7 step 1. It makes a big difference to me because step 1 would be a significant pay cut from my current job. I know that there is enough of a demand for this job that they can just say: "Take it or leave it.", and I do really want the job. But there is a difference between wanting something and being fiscally able to do it.
    I'am pretty sure that if you are not coming from another federal agency, you will start at GS-7 step 1 with L.E.O. experience or superior academic acheivement. I was told this at my info session, and I was also told by a deputy that I know. I am coming from another federal agency, and the recruiter at my info session stated that they will try to start me at a GS-7 step 10 based on my current grade now. I will also be taking a pay hit, but for me it won't be that much.
    There is no hunting like the hunting of man!!!!

Comment

• I took about a $30,000 pay hit to come over to the Marshals. Yeah, it hut at first, but coming from the FAMS who could top out after 3 years, I know I'll catch up and surpass the money I would have made with FAMS. Not to mention the job satisfaction with USMS compared to FAMS.

Next, the issue of pay. I can only tell you guys from what I know of people in my class and past classes up to now. It is all different as to how they bring you in. I had people in my class that only had a degree, not sure of their GPA, and no law enforcement experience come in as a GS 7/1. I've had people in my class that had years of local PD experience and no degree, or some college come in as a GS 7/1. Now there are those that had LE experience on the FED side of things that had come in as a 7/1 up to a 7/10. And then there were the guys from the military that came on as a GS 5/1 who have been over in the sand box fighting for this country. The point I'm making is it isn't the same across the board. The best thing to do, in my opinion, is to get through the process and when you get the call talk to them when they offer you the job. I had 4 years military, almost 4 years FED LE time and was just about done my degree, I'll be finished that finally in 9 weeks, when I was hired. When I got the call they at first offered my GS 5/1. I drew out my experience, LE and education, when they called me and they called back and offered me a higher salary which was still $30,000 less then what I was making, but it was the best they would go. So I took it because I wanted the job. I couldn't have taken the first offer. So....the purpose of the story is get through the process one step at a time and deal with pay when the time comes.
      Last edited by manstown; 07-27-2009, 08:50 PM.

Comment

• Manstown,

That was real talk........ a lot of people are talking about pay WITH OUT THIS JOB inculding myself....Hell, I'm in LE now (8years) and i'm still not getting pay what i think i should be getting pay BUT I LOVE MY JOB / HELL i just LOVE LE...... HELL we all could be picking up paper, fixing dirt roads, cutting grass all day in the HOT SUN, or not be working at all RIGHT NOW,,, I just want to say I'm blessed to be where I am today with my family, on this site with you guys, and getting ready to make a major move in life with the USMS.....

I just want to be added to the upcoming academy list and the "PAY" WILL come with pain and hard work!!!!!!!!!!!!

This was no low blow at no one just thoughts on my mind !!!!!!
        Losing is not an "Option"

Comment

• Any clue if any other regions will be hiring? I have heard about a possible info session in Atlanta anyone hear about any others this year?
          "In valor there is hope"

Comment

• Originally posted by lauderdalehawk4 View Post
            Region 1 D/ME; D/NH;D/VT; N/NY; W/NY; S/NY; E/NY; D/MA; D/CT; D/RI; E/PA; M/PA; W/PA; D/NJ; D/DE

Region 2
            D/MD; DC/DC; DC/SC; N/WV; S/WV; E/VA; W/VA; D/SC; E/NC; M/NC; W/NC; E/TN; M/TN; W/TN; E/KY; W/KY

Region 3
            N/GA; M/GA; S/GA; N/FL; M/FL; S/FL; N/AL; M/AL; S/AL; N/MS; S/MS; D/PR; D/VI

Region 4
            N/OH; S/OH; E/MI; W/MI; N/IN; S/IN; W/WI; E/WI; N/IL; C/IL; S/IL; N/IA; S/IA; E/MO; W/MO

Region 5
            E/AR; W/AR; W/LA; M/LA; E/LA; E/OK; N/OK; W/OK; E/TX; N/TX

Region 6
            D/MN; D/ND; D/SD; D/NE; D/KS; D/MT; D/WY; D/CO; D/IS; D/UT

Region 7
            D/NM; D/AZ; S/CA; W/TX; S/TX

Region 8
            E/WA; W/WA; D/NV; E/CA; N/CA; D/HI; D/GU; D/AK; D/OR; C/CA
            Process of elimination, regions 1, 2, 6, 7, and also 4 I believe already had posted FCIP announcements. Remaining regions that may have future FCIP announcements: 3, 5, 8. I think region 5 also had an announcement.

Comment

• Originally posted by 500pearl View Post
              Process of elimination, regions 1, 2, 6, 7, and also 4 I believe already had posted FCIP announcements. Remaining regions that may have future FCIP announcements: 3, 5, 8. I think region 5 also had an announcement.
              Region 5 will be last.

Comment

• I spoke with a recruiter yesterday, and it sounds like (no confirmation) region 3 will be posted soon. Does anyone know if the fit standards listed on the site are the requirements before u go to the academy, or before you graduate?

By the way thanks for the region listing Pearl.
                "In valor there is hope"

Comment

• you need to pass the physical test before you go into the academy

Comment

• I wonder if the physical requirements are the same for graduation or are they increased even more?
                    "In valor there is hope"

Comment

• I'm not sure, but they are going to work you so hard in the academy that whatever test they might give at the end wont be a problem lol

Comment

• I put this post in the wrong spot
                        Last edited by NJ07094; 07-29-2009, 07:16 PM.

Comment

• Crazy amount of threads for USMS, different regions FCIP.
                          Probably should just have just one thread, and each poster will indicate which region the info or question is intended for, followed by the question or info.

Comment

• Yeah, and our thread is getting buried that is the sole reason for my posting.

Good luck to all of those that will be applying to region 3 also.

Comment

• They said October for oral interviews at the Boston info sessions, correct?

Comment

• Yeah, they said they are looking at October but its not set in stone yet.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7494 users online. 414 members and 7080 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X