300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DARE_SUPPORTER View Post
    I am kind of confused by your profile, you state your a retired LEO but your profile states not employed in LE and not a sworn officer, and your a student.

I mean thats ok, but if your retired you can still put your experience and stuff on your profile.

+1
    I was also confused because based on my recollection from your previous posts you were a LEO for ten or so years before being hired by the USSS. I have never heard of a department that has a ten year retirement unless you were medically retired and then I doubt USSS would hire you with their stringent medial requirements. Sounds more like you left after being vested but before retirement. Fell free to clarify if were off base.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilson View Post
      Great thread here. I'm heading to FLETC next month for CITP. Has anyone brought a personal firearm with them? I'll be driving there and I don't travel unarmed.

I saw on the FLETC site that you have to check it in upon arrival and get it back when you graduate. That doesn't work for me. I'm looking for any personal experience or work-arounds for this situation. (I am covered under HR218 as a retired LEO). Thanks.
      If your caught bring it in, they can do random searches of your vehicle, you will be asked to leave. Since you are a trainee and on probation most likely you will be fired. Also hr 218 does not apply to federal facilities.
      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

Great thread here. I'm heading to FLETC next month for CITP. Has anyone brought a personal firearm with them? I'll be driving there and I don't travel unarmed.

I saw on the FLETC site that you have to check it in upon arrival and get it back when you graduate. That doesn't work for me. I'm looking for any personal experience or work-arounds for this situation. (I am covered under HR218 as a retired LEO). Thanks.
        If this policy doesn't work for you, don't come to FLETC. No firearms are allowed on campus. End of story. If you are caught, be prepared to get kicked off and or fired. If you bring it, they can hold it for you for a certain timeline, however I have known them to make you mail it back to your house.

Confused as to you getting on with the USSS if you are retired LE?
        "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Is there a graduation at the end of CITP and agency specific training or just at the end of your agency specific training?

Comment

I'm not looking to bring my weapon onto the campus. I know that would get me fired. I answered my own question when I remembered that I have an old friend that lives about40 minutes from FLETC, so I'll just leave it at his house.
            I will have a retired LEO ID, and my dept has a 10 year retirement. I understand that doesn't matter for FLETC purposes.

And sorry about my generic profile, I never thought I'd be posting here when I filled it out, I just wanted to PM somebody that I thought I recognized.

Comment

Originally posted by weasel3o3 View Post
              Is there a graduation at the end of CITP and agency specific training or just at the end of your agency specific training?
              Yes you will have a graduation for CITP.

Comment

I'm not looking to bring my weapon onto the campus. I know that would get me fired. I answered my own question when I remembered that I have an old friend that lives about40 minutes from FLETC, so I'll just leave it at his house.
                I will have a retired LEO ID, and my dept has a 10 year retirement. I understand that doesn't matter for FLETC purposes.

And sorry about my generic profile, I never thought I'd be posting here when I filled it out, I just wanted to PM somebody that I thought I recognized.
                Interesting. Both leaving your gun at a friends house and a police retirement offered at 10 yrs? To qualify under HR218 with retirement, doesn't it have to be employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more?
                "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                  Interesting. Both leaving your gun at a friends house and a police retirement offered at 10 yrs? To qualify under HR218 with retirement, doesn't it have to be employed as a law enforcement officer for an aggregate of 15 years or more?

Yes, read the text of the LEOSA. You have to have retired after 15 years, in good standing, with the agency. Just because the agency might offer a ten year retirment, I know in Oklahoma you are vested after 10 years and can collect a small pension, does not mean you qualify under the LEOSA.

Short answer, I would double check you carrying on your retirement creds.

Comment

Originally posted by K9346 View Post
                    Yes, read the text of the LEOSA. You have to have retired after 15 years, in good standing, with the agency. Just because the agency might offer a ten year retirment, I know in Oklahoma you are vested after 10 years and can collect a small pension, does not mean you qualify under the LEOSA.

Short answer, I would double check you carrying on your retirement creds.
                    That was my point. In our state many agencies offer vesting at 5 years but full retirement is at 20+. If you leave after 5 years or 10 or even 15 that is NOT considered as having retired from the agency unless it was a medical retirement. If you leave with vesting it is just that you were vested but not retired. I am now a little skeptical that any agency actually offers a 10 year retirement with a full pension. Generally those that are vested do not get their small pension until age 50 or later. Big difference from a regular retirement.

But as you stated it doesn't qualify for carry anyway.
                    Last edited by 1811Hopeful1; 06-16-2009, 02:39 PM.

Comment

You guys are right. I checked it out and it is 15 years, so I will fall short and have to rely on my state concealed weapons permit, which is valid in the parts of GA that lie outside the FLETC gate. I had not read the text of HR218until today. I'm comfortable leaving it at my friend's house, he is a cop and I will install a safety lock while it's in his safe. I just want to have it while I'm on the road to and from. Too bad FLETC does not recognize the 2nd amendment rights of its students, although I certainly understand from a liability perspective why they feel that way.

Comment

You don't get it. It's Federal Property and the Director of FLETC will not allow weapons on campus. Instructors are not even allowed to have weapons on the campus. It's about 2nd amendment rights or not. You aren't allowed on any federal property with a CCW.

Glad you read up on HR 218 so nothing happened to you though.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                          You don't get it. It's Federal Property and the Director of FLETC will not allow weapons on campus. Instructors are not even allowed to have weapons on the campus. It's about 2nd amendment rights or not. You aren't allowed on any federal property with a CCW.

Glad you read up on HR 218 so nothing happened to you though.
                          X2..........................

LEAVE YOUR GUN AT HOME, WE ALL LOVE OUR GUNS BUT THIS IS THAT ONE SPOT YOU DONT NEED IT.

Dont worry FLETC SWAT will take care of you.

Comment

the only peoples allowed with guns on base are FLETC security... other than that you'll see a whole bunch of redguns...

Comment

The gun thing is about safety. They are doing role playing everywhere; and in all force on force training the one thing nobody wants is a REAL gun anywhere in the mix.
                              Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

The gun thing is about safety. They are doing role playing everywhere; and in all force on force training the one thing nobody wants is a REAL gun anywhere in the mix.
                                +1. It has nothing to do with the 2nd Amendment. All we need is for some basic students to be doing a mock vehicle stop on a non-compliant role player in the parking lot of the FLETC Express and to have an armed student with a CCW walk out and 'react' in accordance with prior training. Red guns aren't always red at night.
                                "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9082 users online. 452 members and 8630 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X