300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Same here, I had plenty of time for bonding with folks in college
    It's a little more than just "bonding." Not only is there likely to be pre-and post class stuff to be done, but these are going to be your future contacts and, in some cases, agency colleagues. Some agencies are more closely-knit than others, and in mine, everyone knew who the team players were at FLETC and who bailed out at 4:30 every day to be with their family. That stuff can follow you.

"Bonding" in college is quite different from supporting and and earning the trust of people that you might have to go through a door with someday. This is not to say that you won't find yourself in a situation where you don't have to study, have no after-hours responsibilities, and much of this won't apply particular situation (though I highly doubt it), but I'd wait and see what that situation is when you get there instead of planning beforehand to punch out every day and go home and having your family expect that. Being able to go home every single weekend is already a huge benefit that probably no one else in your class or their families will be able to enjoy.
    Last edited by GreenLine; 06-12-2009, 08:06 PM.
    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
      It's a little more than just "bonding." Not only is there likely to be pre-and post class stuff to be done, but these are going to be your future contacts and, in some cases, agency colleagues. Some agencies are more closely-knit than others, and in mine, everyone knew who the team players were at FLETC and who bailed out at 4:30 every day to be with their family. That stuff can follow you.

"Bonding" in college is quite different from supporting and and earning the trust of people that you might have to go through a door with someday. This is not to say that you won't find yourself in a situation where you don't have to study, have no after-hours responsibilities, and much of this won't apply particular situation (though I highly doubt it), but I'd wait and see what that situation is when you get there instead of planning beforehand to punch out every day and go home and having your family expect that. Being able to go home every single weekend is already a huge benefit that probably no one else in your class or their families will be able to enjoy.
      CITP there is not pre or post class "get togethers" unless the post class is consuming some adult beverages.

Some classmates conduct study groups the night before a test or on the weekend, which not staying at FLETC can hurt you there. Just stay during the week and leave on Fri to go home. You will feel much more rested not having to drive in at O dark thirty. Plus you will be fighting traffic with FLETC staff and Instructors and then the challenge of finding a place to park.

Go home on the weekends and rest.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
        CITP there is not pre or post class "get togethers" unless the post class is consuming some adult beverages.

Some classmates conduct study groups the night before a test or on the weekend, which not staying at FLETC can hurt you there. Just stay during the week and leave on Fri to go home. You will feel much more rested not having to drive in at O dark thirty. Plus you will be fighting traffic with FLETC staff and Instructors and then the challenge of finding a place to park.

Go home on the weekends and rest.
        The first thing I learned when I was at FLETC, the first time, was to stay away from the study groups. Too many people trying to figure out the same thing with different opinions. The course is pretty cut and dry, why all the confusion I never knew. But being in the study group will confuse you even more. I studied on my own by doing my own notes the way I could understand them. Now as for the going out....we always went out together. It is a good way to get to know everyone. Just have to know that you're there for a reason.

As for the living arrangements....first time down there had a guy in my class that brought his family with him and they lived on St Simons for the whole time we were there. He stayed there with them and nothing was ever said. As long as you know that there are days that go past 1630, you're fine. Again, FLETC is a big boys and girls environment. If you screw up by not getting to campus in time because you stayed off base.....that's on you. I have yet to hear any agency say that you HAVE to stay there and I've talked to many people when I was down there. Just remember why you are there, take it very seriously and you'll be fine. If you live 30 minutes away and have a late night of looking for Grouper, stay in your room that night. That simple. And I hardly call leaving at 4:30 to be with your family as bailing. As long as you do the work you're suppose to do and get it done, and doing it well, you're serving your purpose there.
        Last edited by manstown; 06-12-2009, 11:48 PM.

Comment

The answer is found on the FLETC web site:

http://www.fletc.gov/student-informa...igned-housing/

"Prior approval must be obtained for Basic students to reside in off-center housing. If a student uses housing other than assigned by FLETC, the costs incurred for the accommodations will be the responsibility of the student and not reimbursable by their agency. The student will be notified to utilize the housing assigned by FLETC. Do not contact any off-Center contract housing property prior to arrival or attempt to make housing arrangements on your own. If you have questions, please contact your training officer."
          Life is what happens while you are waiting for something better to come along.

Comment

I'm gonna have to agree with Manstown. I've asked 3 different feds who had CITP training and they basically said that once your training is done and you aren't missing out on any agency runs after 4:30 then you are golden. In fact I would think that FLETC and the agency would want to know who is staying off base and save some cash or bring in more trainees.

As far as bonding. Gotta say - I never had to spend the night with the people I work with now and I know everything about them. Don't see it being different at FLETC.

Thanks for the info Manstown.

Comment

Originally posted by biggdawgdaddy View Post
              The answer is found on the FLETC web site:

http://www.fletc.gov/student-informa...igned-housing/

"Prior approval must be obtained for Basic students to reside in off-center housing. If a student uses housing other than assigned by FLETC, the costs incurred for the accommodations will be the responsibility of the student and not reimbursable by their agency. The student will be notified to utilize the housing assigned by FLETC. Do not contact any off-Center contract housing property prior to arrival or attempt to make housing arrangements on your own. If you have questions, please contact your training officer."
              I will say this. The guy that brought his family down there during training kept his room on base. If there was something going on or work that had him on campus into the night he would stay there. The agency knew, but I don't think FLETC did. I don't see why they need too. He paid for his family to stay there and stayed with them. I see absolutely nothing wrong with it. Now that I think of it....he was our honor grad.

Comment

And I hardly call leaving at 4:30 to be with your family as bailing.
                Maybe not in YOUR agency they don't. Mine does. And another prior one did as well.

All I'm saying is that before the guy makes the decision outright and gets his wife and kids expecting that dad will be home every night, he should wait and see if the training coordinator is a dick or not (one of mine was), what's going to be expected, and what the norm is for his agency. Some agencies are not content with letting FLETC run the show every training day, and you can bet your a%% that if they're paying you LEAP while you're there, they can and often do take advantage of that time.

FYI - the gov't saves no money by having someone stay off base on their own dime. The money for the FTE, to inlcude training and lodging while in training are requested and allocated in advance and subsequently have to spent on those things. So they're gonna have to pay for the room whether you sleep in it every night or not.
                Last edited by GreenLine; 06-13-2009, 09:00 PM.

Comment

Do they have classes of mixed groups from different agencies? I doubt anyone else would be there from my agency. My agency would not care where I stayed either. Like I said I'll play it by ear, by no means have planned on being home every night.

Comment

Originally posted by GreenLine View Post
                    Maybe not in YOUR agency they don't. Mine does. And another prior one did as well.

All I'm saying is that before the guy makes the decision outright and gets his wife and kids expecting that dad will be home every night, he should wait and see if the training coordinator is a dick or not (one of mine was), what's going to be expected, and what the norm is for his agency. Some agencies are not content with letting FLETC run the show every training day, and you can bet your a%% that if they're paying you LEAP while you're there, they can and often do take advantage of that time.

FYI - the gov't saves no money by having someone stay off base on their own dime. The money for the FTE, to inlcude training and lodging while in training are requested and allocated in advance and subsequently have to spent on those things. So they're gonna have to pay for the room whether you sleep in it every night or not.
                    If your agency believes that they are more important then someones family, then it sounds like an agency full of dicks. I'm with the Marshals now and there hasn't been one person that said your job is more important then your family. Actually quite a few stated the opposite. But I do agree that he should check with the agency to see their stand on the issue. But really what could they say? "No, you can't be with your family!" And if you do move your family down there for the duration of the training, you're right, you still have your room on campus. All you have to do is explain to your family that there are going to be nights where you'll have to stay on campus due to late nights. The important thing when you're down there is that you do the training and do it well. If you do it, what can they really say to you? If you start to slip with training....then I could see them intervening.
                    Last edited by manstown; 06-14-2009, 08:13 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by dpd0779 View Post
                      Do they have classes of mixed groups from different agencies? I doubt anyone else would be there from my agency. My agency would not care where I stayed either. Like I said I'll play it by ear, by no means have planned on being home every night.
                      What training class are you going to again? Since you are DOA, most likely no one else from your agency will be there, being that DOA has their own academy, but if it's CITP then yes you will have a mix of several agencies for your duration.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                        What training class are you going to again? Since you are DOA, most likely no one else from your agency will be there, being that DOA has their own academy, but if it's CITP then yes you will have a mix of several agencies for your duration.
                        Hey guys I am headed down to FLETC for CITP tomorrow. My understanding is that Monday is just a check in and get situated day. The first day of class is actually Tuesday. What is that first day of class like on Tuesday? When do you usually start ORT? When do you do the first PEB? Will that be in the first week? Any advise? Thanks!
                        "Would I ever leave this company? Look, I'm all about loyalty. In fact, I feel like part of what I'm being paid for here is my loyalty. But if there were somewhere else that valued loyalty more highly, I'm going wherever they value loyalty the most. " --Dwight K Schrute (The Office)

Comment

Originally posted by miked6 View Post
                          Hey guys I am headed down to FLETC for CITP tomorrow. My understanding is that Monday is just a check in and get situated day. The first day of class is actually Tuesday. What is that first day of class like on Tuesday? When do you usually start ORT? When do you do the first PEB? Will that be in the first week? Any advise? Thanks!

Some classes do start in the week, not all start on monday. When I went to FLETC our first class was kinda like your first day of college, you go to class and they pretty much lay it all out for you on duration of stay, then you get your uniforms and thats about it, as for ORT we ended up starting ours on the end of the first week, we did our first PEB on the second week, then again at like 6-8 week, and finished off around week 17-18.

Hope your stay is enjoyable, have fun......also good luck with the G-Bar....

Comment

If your agency believes that they are more important then someones family, then it sounds like an agency full of dicks.
                            Expecting a basic trainee to put forth the same efforts - whether after hours or not - as everyone else and to be an equal part of a team does not mean the agency thinks they are "more important" than someone's family. Everyone is there for a single reason, and if someone happens to live close by and can see thir family without detracting from their own or anyone else's training, great. But just because an agency expects the same from that person as everyone else, it doesn't make them an "agency full of dicks."

It sounds like the OP is going to weigh the circumstances before deciding, and that's all I was advocating.
                            Last edited by GreenLine; 06-14-2009, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by miked6 View Post
                              just curious you've been an 1811 for 8 years and have to go through CITP again? that sucks...you'll do the PEB and ORT in the first week.

Comment

Any one know if CITP is six days a week still or is back to five?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6552 users online. 331 members and 6221 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X