300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Patrol trying for PD

Hey guys. I am a current Border Patrol Agent stationed in San Diego, CA. I was hired July 17, 2008. I am looking to go back home to Detroit to work as a cop. A transfer in the future is not looking hopeful. Anyone have any ideas? From what I can tell, no one in MI is hiring anymore. Prior to BP, I was an ordinance officer for 3 years. Any help would be appreciated.

not a fan of the BP?

Comment

Out of the academy what four or five months? Why don't you attempt to learn your new job before you decide to quit and go home? You may just find that you like it...

Also, I don't understand your thoughts on transfers not looking hopeful since they just had a NB VRP open 5/6 through 5/21 for anyone off probation.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post

Also, I don't understand your thoughts on transfers not looking hopeful since they just had a NB VRP open 5/6 through 5/21 for anyone off probation.
        From what I have heard from ex-BPA in my office it isn't that tough to get a transfer to the NB right now.
        Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
          From what I have heard from ex-BPA in my office it isn't that tough to get a transfer to the NB right now.
          I would not say that.

Comment

Originally posted by ICEAGENT View Post
            I think new Agents less than a year out of the academy are required to serve on the southern border for ... I think 18 months? As I understand it, when you come out of the academy, even if you're assigned to NB station you're still going South for that 18 month period. At least the last job announcement I read had that pretty well stated, all caps and bold.

I think this may be one of those things where you have to do a basic amount of time in before you can start filing for transfers.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
              I thought doing a VRP was a huge deal and pretty competitive in of itself?

EDIT: I re-read what you posted and realized the point you were making, my mistake.
              "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                I would not say that.
                I stand corrected, my info was second-hand and probably a little dated as my co-worker left the BP several years ago.
                Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

I need to have 2 years in before I can be considered for transfrerring. Even if there are openings then, they go by seniority.

BP is just not for me.... I put more people in jail as an ordinance officer. Here in San Diego, probably 99.5% of the people we catch just get kicked back to Mexico...including aggravated felons and documented smugglers. I feel we cannot effectively do our jobs until the government backs us and actually lets us ENFORCE the laws, not just send everyone back to Mexico.

I want a job where the people we arrest are put in jail. It is common for aliens to be caught twice in the same day.

Comment

Originally posted by MEPDtoUSBP View Post
                    I need to have 2 years in before I can be considered for transfrerring. Even if there are openings then, they go by seniority.

BP is just not for me.... I put more people in jail as an ordinance officer. Here in San Diego, probably 99.5% of the people we catch just get kicked back to Mexico...including aggravated felons and documented smugglers. I feel we cannot effectively do our jobs until the government backs us and actually lets us ENFORCE the laws, not just send everyone back to Mexico.

I want a job where the people we arrest are put in jail. It is common for aliens to be caught twice in the same day.
                    Did you not read into your job before you actually got hired? Ssme thing will happen as a street cop. You will not even be done your report and your suspect will be released. You work the border, hence Border Patrol. You protect the nations borders, so who cares if you send them back to Mexico if thats where they belong!

Give your job some time. I doubt you have that much experience not being out of the Academy that long. At the same time, be thankful you have a good paying job. And job security. Illegals get caught, good job, you still get paid right?
                    "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                      How many people really want to be in Detroit? Not being sarcastic, but there can't be a huge line.

I would hang tight and don't make a career move just to get off the border. Take your time and find the right gig, improve your resume, and get more competitive.

Good luck
                      Honestly from someone who has lived in Michigan all their life, I would find somewhere else to get hired other than Michigan. Michigan seems to have a bad habit of looking at Police Officers whenever funds need to be cut, including Detroit. Sure you may seem them start hiring again once they realize their crime has increased significantly but then they go straight back to cutting officers once things are stable again. If you really want that kind of reliable job then go for it.

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                        How many people really want to be in Detroit? Not being sarcastic, but there can't be a huge line.

Good luck
                        As far as the northern border goes, Detroit is not a easy place to get from what I hear. Remote hole in the wall places that nobody in their right mind would ever dream of living are the easy ones . Right now the OP is in the absolute best location for the BP in the country. I thank my lucky stars every day I'm in SD working for the Patrol. But the job is not for everybody. But in this economy what else is he gonna do? Its not like its easy to get a job nowadays. Especially jobs that will pay 6 figures after a few years. The OP needs to think about it long and hard.

Comment

We had someone from our station in SDC go up to MN last year with exactly 18 months in.

Don't give up. I thought they taught you that at the Academy.

Comment

Hate to break it to you but the locals are not much better when it comes to people staying in jail.

Comment

Hey guys. I am a current Border Patrol Agent stationed in San Diego, CA. I was hired July 17, 2008. I am looking to go back home to Detroit to work as a cop. A transfer in the future is not looking hopeful. Anyone have any ideas? From what I can tell, no one in MI is hiring anymore. Prior to BP, I was an ordinance officer for 3 years. Any help would be appreciated.
                              Go for it brother. Especially if you're on a "X" station. No one here except those who have worked those X's is qualified to give you advice about the BP. If it's not for you, you know very quickly. I was at BRF and it wasn't for me and I knew RIGHT AWAY. I gave it a while, but utlitmately left for another fed agency, and now I'm back to a Local where I'm finally happy again.

I can't give any advice on MI or wherever you want to go, but just remember, the BP is ALWAYs going to be about the line. If the line isn't for you, move on.... Stay safe and good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8137 users online. 266 members and 7871 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X