300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Owning a gun negative to application?

Would owning a gun be a negative thing when you are applying to any LE agency? I was thinking about buying a handgun just as a hobby, but if it's going to affect me during the application process, I'm not going to. I know on the LAPD site it says that any gun training is highly discouraged. Just something I was worried about.

Sorry, I realized I should've posted this in the "Ask a Cop" section. I reposted it there.

Comment

your a US citizen, you have a right to have a fire arm. It should not even come into question. My department didnt even ask.

Comment

UH No...........................
        "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
        German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

From what I have read the gun training is discouraged because they don't want you to develop bad habits that they will later have to fix. If you come to them without any other training, it might be easier for them to teach you. But that's just what I have read.

Originally posted by aboveaverage View Post
          Would owning a gun be a negative thing when you are applying to any LE agency? I was thinking about buying a handgun just as a hobby, but if it's going to affect me during the application process, I'm not going to. I know on the LAPD site it says that any gun training is highly discouraged. Just something I was worried about.
          Originally Posted by Law100
          Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

Originally posted by Esco View Post
            your a US citizen, you have a right to have a fire arm. It should not even come into question. My department didnt even ask.
            While your agency may not have an issue with it, others will......

You WILL get asked about it from more than a few agencies here in the LA area......it is not a DQ by any streach of the imagination, but they will want to know about it....and they will ask about it during your background interview......
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

I am in the background at NYPD....the BI made me draft a letter detailing the reasons why I had a business carry permit. He said it is no big deal, and definately not a disqualifier, I just think they want to make sure you arent a "wannabe" or something like that.

Comment

Just Curious

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
                While your agency may not have an issue with it, others will...........

What agencies in your area would have a problem with an applicant owning a firearm (legally) prior to being hired/BI Phase?

Back when I was hired by a PD the Psychologist asked about owning the firearms and the reasons....but other than that none of the Investigators inquired.................
                Last edited by FormerUSAF; 04-27-2009, 07:09 PM.
                "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7035 users online. 198 members and 6837 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X