300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When should I apply?

This is my first post, and while I'm sure it's been covered before, my search for an answer has turned up with nothing. I guess I just didn't use the right search terminology, still hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. I've currently got about a year and a half left in the Air Force. I'm always forward thinking and have been wanting to get into Law Enforcement. While I'm also exploring my options of staying in the military I also wanted to explore opportunities outside the military. I'm interested in the full gamut of Law Enforcement, Fed Police, Municipal Departments, State Agencies, Fed Agencies, etc. My question is, I'm not sure when I should start to apply for these positions. I'm sure hiring process for municipal pd's is quicker than feds, but I just don't know when I should get my resumes and applications out. 6 months? 1 year? Also, in regards to the closing dates on usajobs, if there is a position on there that closes soon, but it's something I'm interested in, should I still apply for it even though I've got more than a year left in the Air Force? I appreciate any advice out there and apologize again if this has been covered. Thanks.
    Last edited by bullseyex7; 04-11-2009, 01:12 PM.

Start now. There are some municipality's that will take a year and a half. Put your applications out now and let them know what you have going on. So places will move you through the process. If they hire you and you're still serving, they will put you on hold for when you get out and send you to the academy. I know quite a few guys that have done this. Actually had it done when I first got hired at my first job.

Comment

I started a year a half before I got out for fed positions, still waiting. It took me three months just to get into a position with DOD at the same post I was stationed at. Apply and then move on with your life, don't sit around counting the months and waiting for a phone call.

Comment

Thanks, I appreciate the info. I'm getting ready to deploy, but figured I'd hit the ground running when I get back. Hopefully there will be time to work on my resume when I deploy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6785 users online. 276 members and 6509 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
        Working...
        X