300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BPA and spanish

Yes i know there is an entire section dedicated to BPA and i made it through about 20 pages and couldnt quite get the answer i wanted.

I dont know spanish well... lets just say i dont know it at all. I am interested in the BPA but how fluent in spanish doesn a person have to be to apply? And or what would you recommend?
    Good... Bad... Im the guy with the gun

you don't have to know any spanish to apply for BP. you'll have to take an alternate language exam though, which there should be a practice sample one on the BP website. the alternate language exam measures your ability to learn a new language. they will teach you spanish in the academy once you are hired.

Comment

Originally posted by calicopper View Post
      Yes i know there is an entire section dedicated to BPA and i made it through about 20 pages and couldnt quite get the answer i wanted.

I dont know spanish well... lets just say i dont know it at all. I am interested in the BPA but how fluent in spanish doesn a person have to be to apply? And or what would you recommend?
      Read #6 under conditions of employment.

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/careers/c...nts_for_bp.xml

They will teach you.

Comment

They don't really teach you Spanish as a full fledged language. You'll be memorizing things to say in certain situations. In reality, the training you get for spanish really should be supplemented with some other form of training, i.e. Rosetta Stone, livemocha.com, tutoring once you get to the station, etc.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

Originally posted by sap123 View Post
          They don't really teach you Spanish as a full fledged language. You'll be memorizing things to say in certain situations. In reality, the training you get for spanish really should be supplemented with some other form of training, i.e. Rosetta Stone, livemocha.com, tutoring once you get to the station, etc.
          You are correct. The training you will go through is NOT enough. You should bite the bullet and buy the entire rosetta stone now and get a head start. Even then its still not enough but you will get by. The academy will teach you enough to make an arrest and some officer safety but you will be lost when it comes time to interview someone if you are called on to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
            You are correct. The training you will go through is NOT enough. You should bite the bullet and buy the entire rosetta stone now and get a head start. Even then its still not enough but you will get by. The academy will teach you enough to make an arrest and some officer safety but you will be lost when it comes time to interview someone if you are called on to do so.
            Just to follow up with this, I've been given access to a copy of Rosetta Stone for free while at the Academy.
            "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11601 users online. 457 members and 11144 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X