Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I shot them an email to find out what the next step should be, and got this as a reply:

Good morning,

This is in response to your email inquiry.

Numerical ratings are based on a scale of 70 to 100. An additional 5 or 10 points are incorporated in the rating of applicants who qualify for veteran's preference. Your relative standing on the register will constantly vary due to additions to and suspensions from the Register.

Once your name appears on a certificate of eligibles you will be contacted by the institution via email.

You should contact the institution(s) you selected on your application to inquire about current or anticipated vacancies.

Contact numbers for institutions can be found at our website: www.bop.gov

Your application will remain in our inventory for a period of one year.

If you require additional information, please contact us via telephone at 972-352-4200 or via email GRA-HRM/BOP-HIRES@bop.gov.

Thank you for your interest in the Federal Bureau of Prisons.
    Originally Posted by Law100
    Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

Originally posted by pappabacon View Post
      I shot them an email to find out what the next step should be, and got this as a reply:
      Interesting, I say one of us calls the Victorville institution and find out if they are stil hiring. I hope we all go in together.
      LASD
      Written Test 10/08
      Oral Interview 10/08
      Turn in packet 10/08
      Background Investigator 12/08
      Polygraph 12/08
      Coopers Test 1/09
      Ride Along 1/09
      Jail Tour 1/09
      Background Submited 4/01/09

Comment

I called HR last week and no one answered. I tried throughout the day and eventually ended up leaving a message. I also called Texas and they told me to call the institution. I guess it is just the typical federal waiting game. However, the title URGENT NEED of correctional officers should probably be removed from the website because it is misleading. My buddy just got out of the Marines last summer applied with ICE and he was at FLETC a month later so I guess it is up to the hiring authority whether they want to move or not
        Last edited by buffb27; 04-10-2009, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by DOJ21811 View Post
          I worked for the BoP and then lateraled to another agency. They looked at that as great experience and I got my LE retirement coverage started. The BoP is not a horrible job, you ARE outnumbered by inmates but what correctional facility is not? If you do your job and treat the inmates like human beings, you will never have any issues. I worked at a medium and penitentiary for almost 3 years and was never touched by an inmate. Apparently you are interested in the position so I recommend you take the job to get the time started, get into the feds, get the benefits and good pay, and ignore the naysayers. The BoP is full of people who talk bad about their position but never try to go to school to promote, they never try to lateral, transfer out, or basically get out of working inside custody. I am glad to be out of there because a lot of the times dealing with the staff is worse than dealing with the inmates. I learned early on that I needed to ignore staff, keep my mouth shut and do my job.
          Translation,

Political suits who won't back you and cheese eating staff to work with (with some exceptions). I will however say that it will get your foot in the door in the Fed system. There's a reason most people try to get out of custody. It sucks......
          The post above does not constitute legal advice, nor should be construed as such. These are the private opinions of a private citizen and do not represent the opinion nor official capacity of any law enforcement agency.

Comment

Stay Away

I have to agree with the first posts in this thread. I am a former CO for the BOP. It was the worst most mind numbing job I have ever held. I have to say that my time as a state CO was better than a fed. Be prepared to be looked down upon at FLETC. Your training isn't one third of what the CPB officers get and everyone at FLETC knows it. Basically it is a job for the less educated/experienced person to get their foot in the fed door. If you have education look elswhere. The BOP does not care about their people and will treat you like a number. I resigned to take a local LEO job and have found a 100% difference in professionalism. The BOP leaves alot to be desired. The upside is you are considered a Federal Law Enforcment Officer and are entitled to carry off duty. The downside is the BOP does not issue badges and all you get is a cheesy little laminated card that says Justice Department. Don't expect a cop on the street to look at this id and take you as a Fed, it's a cheap id. You can get whats called a cred holder at FLETC that has a BOP medallion that looks official lol.

Comment

Originally posted by DDixon1000 View Post
              I have to agree with the first posts in this thread. I am a former CO for the BOP. It was the worst most mind numbing job I have ever held. I have to say that my time as a state CO was better than a fed. Be prepared to be looked down upon at FLETC. Your training isn't one third of what the CPB officers get and everyone at FLETC knows it. Basically it is a job for the less educated/experienced person to get their foot in the fed door. If you have education look elswhere. The BOP does not care about their people and will treat you like a number. I resigned to take a local LEO job and have found a 100% difference in professionalism. The BOP leaves alot to be desired. The upside is you are considered a Federal Law Enforcment Officer and are entitled to carry off duty. The downside is the BOP does not issue badges and all you get is a cheesy little laminated card that says Justice Department. Don't expect a cop on the street to look at this id and take you as a Fed, it's a cheap id. You can get whats called a cred holder at FLETC that has a BOP medallion that looks official lol.
              i'm at FLETC and what a true statement regarding BOP. lol
              the first in line at the chow hall. and yes my instructors, other classes, etc all make fun of em. but if you want to get in with the Fed G, then go for it. i believe they have a 3 week academy?

Comment

Thanks for the advice. Trust me, its not my first choice but beggers can't be choosy in this current economy. That makes me laugh that everyone bags on the BOP. I can understand that the training has alot to be desired but I find it mind boggling that everyone dogs them. I am not standing up for them by any means because I am not a BOP member, but how could you insult someone that is surrounded by 100-150 dangerous individuals on a daily basis while being unarmed? I understand the training is ridiculous but wouldn't the experience while working in a pen make you a better LEO?

Comment

Go for it man, Just to Go to FLETC is an experience I will never forget, even if it was for the BOP.
                  I found the BOP to be great and the guys I worked with were tight and still are.
                  Funny thing is, I almost went back, and I'm not young.

STOP that fed clock, it's the most important thing.
                  Start your career there and then go where you want.

Comment

Originally posted by ask80 View Post
                    the first in line at the chow hall. and yes my instructors, other classes, etc all make fun of em.
                    That's pretty pathetic. I haven't seen one agency that didn't have at least a couple of clueless, doofy looking students, but part of professionalism is to keep your thoughts to yourself.

BOP training at FLETC is 3 weeks - so what? Do you really think that 13 weeks at CITP or the few weeks of mixed basic police training program is all that thorough given the nature of the job? My city police academy was 26 weeks.
                    They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Originally posted by buffb27 View Post
                      I called HR last week and no one answered. I tried throughout the day and eventually ended up leaving a message. I also called Texas and they told me to call the institution. I guess it is just the typical federal waiting game. However, the title URGENT NEED of correctional officers should probably be removed from the website because it is misleading. My buddy just got out of the Marines last summer applied with ICE and he was at FLETC a month later so I guess it is up to the hiring authority whether they want to move or not
                      DOING WHAT!?!? I've been in the ICE waiting game for over a year and things have gone VERY smoothly with me. I've got a handful of friends that were SF and still didn't get in any faster...what did your "friend" apply to do? Did he apply before he was out?

Comment

If you want to start the fed time don't wait just because the cred's dont look official. The fact is that you are a real law enforcement officer, and you have been appointed by the Attorney General to do your job as a real law enforcement officer. You train for three weeks and get paid then most federal agency so if you can get hired do it, start that fed time now. You will see when you transfer to another government agency you will see how far ahead in time you are then some. Remember start that clock, don't wait......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11245 users online. 457 members and 10788 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X