300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BOP Hiring Process

Anybody how long it takes to get hire by BOP. I live in La and seen they are in high demand for Correctional Officers at Victorville. How much work do I have to do get hire? What is the Salary in the LA area?
    LASD
    Written Test 10/08
    Oral Interview 10/08
    Turn in packet 10/08
    Background Investigator 12/08
    Polygraph 12/08
    Coopers Test 1/09
    Ride Along 1/09
    Jail Tour 1/09
    Background Submited 4/01/09

If the bureau calls you, take it to start your law enforcement time. Its a great job to start off. Cal starts around 48,000 to 52,000 you can check im not sure, but you can always transfer to another agency. I also know that Cal county and state joints get paid more. But you can always tranfer to another federal Agency. Also check opm.gov and go to salary and go to LA cost of living the bureau will start you off as either a GS-5 or GS-6.

Comment

COLT 1911: Bro do yourself a favor and stay far away from the BOP. I was a Correctional Officer at a facility in NY for over a year and it was the worst job I ever had. The BOP does not take care of their people and in fact make it extremely dangerous. At my facility it was 1 Officer per 96-120 inmates at any given time. The BOP doesn't recruit the most upstanding citizens either, therefore you find yourself working with Inmates in CO uniforms...

Comment

I two was a C/O for the BOP in NYC and I'd have to agree with the post from above. But if you want to work in fed LE it is a start. Its how I started off. MCSO80 did you work at MCC?

Comment

I can attest that the previous 2 posts are spot on. If you can manage a couple of years there it will be a good stepping stone. There are some great folks who work in the BOP. However, they are outnumbered heavily by cheese eaters and political suits. Your better off going county or state.
          The post above does not constitute legal advice, nor should be construed as such. These are the private opinions of a private citizen and do not represent the opinion nor official capacity of any law enforcement agency.

Comment

It seem like BOP might not be a bad start. How long did it take from the day you applied to the day you start working.
            LASD
            Written Test 10/08
            Oral Interview 10/08
            Turn in packet 10/08
            Polygraph 12/08
            Coopers Test 1/09
            Ride Along 1/09
            Jail Tour 1/09

Comment

Originally posted by Colt1911 View Post
              It seem like BOP might not be a bad start. How long did it take from the day you applied to the day you start working.
              Took me a month. That's blazing-fast for the Gov. You're already in Cali- go for the Patrol.

Comment

Originally posted by LS1 View Post
                Took me a month. That's blazing-fast for the Gov. You're already in Cali- go for the Patrol.
                I am in the process with LASD but hiring seems to have slowed down. I just want to have other resources.
                LASD
                Written Test 10/08
                Oral Interview 10/08
                Turn in packet 10/08
                Polygraph 12/08
                Coopers Test 1/09
                Ride Along 1/09
                Jail Tour 1/09

Comment

I worked for the BoP and then lateraled to another agency. They looked at that as great experience and I got my LE retirement coverage started. The BoP is not a horrible job, you ARE outnumbered by inmates but what correctional facility is not? If you do your job and treat the inmates like human beings, you will never have any issues. I worked at a medium and penitentiary for almost 3 years and was never touched by an inmate. Apparently you are interested in the position so I recommend you take the job to get the time started, get into the feds, get the benefits and good pay, and ignore the naysayers. The BoP is full of people who talk bad about their position but never try to go to school to promote, they never try to lateral, transfer out, or basically get out of working inside custody. I am glad to be out of there because a lot of the times dealing with the staff is worse than dealing with the inmates. I learned early on that I needed to ignore staff, keep my mouth shut and do my job.

Comment

Originally posted by DOJ21811 View Post
                    I worked for the BoP and then lateraled to another agency. They looked at that as great experience and I got my LE retirement coverage started. The BoP is not a horrible job, you ARE outnumbered by inmates but what correctional facility is not? If you do your job and treat the inmates like human beings, you will never have any issues. I worked at a medium and penitentiary for almost 3 years and was never touched by an inmate. Apparently you are interested in the position so I recommend you take the job to get the time started, get into the feds, get the benefits and good pay, and ignore the naysayers. The BoP is full of people who talk bad about their position but never try to go to school to promote, they never try to lateral, transfer out, or basically get out of working inside custody. I am glad to be out of there because a lot of the times dealing with the staff is worse than dealing with the inmates. I learned early on that I needed to ignore staff, keep my mouth shut and do my job.
                    How long did it take for you to get hired?
                    LASD
                    Written Test 10/08
                    Oral Interview 10/08
                    Turn in packet 10/08
                    Polygraph 12/08
                    Coopers Test 1/09
                    Ride Along 1/09
                    Jail Tour 1/09

Comment

I too, applied for victorville man over a month and a half ago and have heard nothing. But don't sweat it, the feds sometimes take their time. I was ****ed because I only scored an 86 for both 5-7 but that is without my 5 points Veteran time and it says it is subject to verification. hit me up man, hopefully we will be going to Glynco together.

Comment

Originally posted by buffb27 View Post
                        I too, applied for victorville man over a month and a half ago and have heard nothing. But don't sweat it, the feds sometimes take their time. I was ****ed because I only scored an 86 for both 5-7 but that is without my 5 points Veteran time and it says it is subject to verification. hit me up man, hopefully we will be going to Glynco together.
                        Bump on that. I applied Feb 9, I scored a 79 on the GL-6, and a 85 on the GL-5. It says I can still change my answers until the announcement closes IN DECEMBER. Does that mean that they aren't doing anything until then?
                        Originally Posted by Law100
                        Note to everyone: notice how respect I am

Comment

SHU: Yeah I was at MCC, where were you, MDC?

Comment

Be advised that it is a rigorous 3 weeks at the academy.......LOL sorry couldnt help that, when I was at FLETC they even beat the CBP guys to the lunch line and I thought CBP was, well nevermind. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by MCSO80 View Post
                              SHU: Yeah I was at MCC, where were you, MDC?
                              Yeah I was at MCC. By chance were you military police before you got on with the BOP? I might know you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7976 users online. 451 members and 7525 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X