300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FBI question

I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread so I'm starting my own with another FBI qualifying question for an ill-informed newb...me.

I will qualify for entry into the FBI's physical sciences critical skills category in a couple of months. At that point I will have the 2yrs professional work experience in a physical science discipline and the physical science degree.

I have been debating whether to apply for a local PD position to give myself some LE experience before I apply for any Fed LE job. Now from what I've read on the FBI site one must have LE exprience beyond the patrol realm (must be investigative exp) to qualify under the LE critical skill. However, that option puts me in a race against time being that I'm in my early 30s now and that it may take 4yrs to gain 2yrs of investigative exp through a local PD.

My question is would any amount of local PD work put me at a greater advantage of qualifying or being hired beyond what I will have in in a couple of months with my physical science critical skill?

Thanks in advance for the responses?!

Originally posted by Mr. Belick View Post
    I didn't want to hijack anyone else's thread so I'm starting my own with another FBI qualifying question for an ill-informed newb...me.

I will qualify for entry into the FBI's physical sciences critical skills category in a couple of months. At that point I will have the 2yrs professional work experience in a physical science discipline and the physical science degree.

I have been debating whether to apply for a local PD position to give myself some LE experience before I apply for any Fed LE job. Now from what I've read on the FBI site one must have LE exprience beyond the patrol realm (must be investigative exp) to qualify under the LE critical skill. However, that option puts me in a race against time being that I'm in my early 30s now and that it may take 4yrs to gain 2yrs of investigative exp through a local PD.

My question is would any amount of local PD work put me at a greater advantage of qualifying or being hired beyond what I will have in in a couple of months with my physical science critical skill?

Thanks in advance for the responses?!
    Everyone is going to just tell you to put in your application anyway and see what happens. Sometimes the FBI hiring process can take a long time. It in the mean time you could try to work at a local PD to get LE experience and when FBI comes knocking make the switch.

Comment

Why not apply with the FBI and look for state level investigative jobs? Maybe your degree would come in handy doing investigations for the SC Nursing Board or Dept of Agriculture. This investigative work doesn't even necessarily need to be a sworn position. Talk to your state Attorney General's Office or Secretary of State to see what jobs they might have available.

You have a background in a hard science. What about forensics with a local or state crime lab?

What about contract Background Investigation work?

I see so many guys that are interested in investigative work who see Patrol and some Fed job as their only options. I say get creative with it. You have a skill set established with your degree and work experience. Use it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8432 users online. 466 members and 7966 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X