300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secret Service Uniform Division or Border Patrol

I am about to be presented job offers by both the Secret Service Uniform Division and Border Patrol Agent positions (so I hope). What I would like to know and have input from is which is a better job for an entry person just getting into Law Enforcement. I am not concerned about salary as I am the skills learned, transferring to other divisions, Top Secret Clearance, and day to day duties. I hope that some agents could respond and share there experiences or thoughts. I like 'some' action and not a standing boring position unless it leads to better things. Thanks

You can look at the other thread "Thoughts on a Good Predicament" to get some similar insight into the USSS UD position. It feels good to know your hard work has culminated into job offers; but its a lot of self induced pressure trying to make the final decision taking everything into account. Best of luck!
    In God, whose word I praise, in God I trust; I will not be afraid. What can mortal man do to me? Psalm 56:4

Comment

BP. Get some good experience right off the bat.

Unless youre trying to go SS SA, then it might be easier coming from UD (no idea if thats true or not.)

Comment

my other half of CITP was USSS and they told me it's quite difficult to be picked up for USSS SA from UD. they said it's usually like 2 former UD's per USSS SA class. fortunately the other half my CITP class had 5 former UD peoples, which they said were unusually high.

from what they told me, it was not action packed. lots of security and ID checks and pressing green/red buttons. lol.

Comment

Thx all for the input so far. I guess I am leaning towards one that has a full career path with options to move around/up etc. It appears that the SSUD position is very basic LE with lots of 'slow time'; although I clearly understand the need for their job and duty. If anyone is an BPAgent would love to hear if they made the right choice and how they like things so far, how long in specially the newbies there. Thx

Comment

Anyone care to comment on which is more marketable as far as moving on after 1-3yrs assuming one felt the need to move on or that it wasnt what they had hoped for? I have not heard from anyone as to what they have done after leaving the USSS-UD or Border Patrol as to if they were picked up by another agency, gained unique skill set, or if they just were happy and stayed...

Comment

Originally posted by headcrash View Post
              I am about to be presented job offers by both the Secret Service Uniform Division and Border Patrol Agent positions (so I hope). What I would like to know and have input from is which is a better job for an entry person just getting into Law Enforcement.
              I am curious if you have made a choice or got any offers yet?
              USSS UD
              Applied: May 27th, 2009
              Passed POST: July 13th, 2009
              Initial Interview: July 23rd, 2009
              Conditional Offer: August 3rd, 2009
              Panel Packet: August 6th-12th, 2009
              Panel Interview: August 26th, 2009
              Polygraph: November 5th, 2009
              Rejection Letter: December 19th, 2009

Seattle PD
              Applied: July 6th, 2009
              Civil Service Exam: Sept. 12th 2009
              NOR: Passed, 86.18%

Comment

I also had the oppurtunity to either do bpa or usss ud. After looking into everything I decided to go USSS-UD and terminated my app with BPA. My decision was based on the training I gain with the USSS UD, the USSS training is much better than BPA. I actually heard that from the lady who did my background for the BPA. That really made my decision for me. Also, Being able to travel, based my decision off of people who have worked UD and people who have work BPA, I also have a friend who just started BPA and he hates it, and last but not least the pay is much better. Ive heard of people leaving BPA during training if something else came available. Now with that said, Im not knocking BPA at all. Its a real tough job and you will gain some real good experience. A lot more action than UD. And as far as people saying its not likely to move from UD to SA couldnt be any less true. Most of the USSS SA's Ive met were former UD's. I just recently got the call for UD I start August 13th. I plan on being ERT in two years. Work that for a while then do SA. Good luck to you man.
                Turned in application - Late Decemeber
                Had intial interview - Early January
                Took post - Mid January
                Panel interview - Late January or early Feburary
                Polygraph - Early March
                Medical exam - Mid March
                Drug screen - Late March
                Lasik Eye Surgery - April 1st
                Home vist - Mid April
                Medically cleared - July 1st
                Got the call - Mid July
                Off to D.C - August 12th

Comment

hey guys i am just trying to get some info..on a specific area.

a little about me here.. i have worked security for about 3 years back in the mid 90's. i have worked my longest tenure as a Resident Asst. in a dorm for a university in Washington DC. I have had 3 jobs where i passed the Federal background checks : post office/home security installation training and the latest was at LGA airport in NYC i am a pretty solid straight shooter all around .

I have always wanted to get in law enforcement since iwas a kid but for the life of me it has not ever happened due to life in general and going with the destiny it takes me. Once again i am at the law enforcement high again as in the days of Chips, Hunter, Miami vice and the likes that i grew up watching.

One major plm contributed to my perhaps "dilemma" ...is that i am partly deaf in one ear and fully deaf in the other. That was always a bridge that i couldnt cross physically speaking at least. I was wondering if USSS UD could be a possibility as i read on their website that all applicants would get a fair shot at the positions (so to speak) without regards to disability, race ,creed etc etc. i see USSS UD also raised the age limit to 40 which would give me a little more time to pursue this goal as i am newly 36 this year. Age was a factor as i felt by the time all came through i would be over the limit -hence disregarding "age limit at 37" agencies Any info or knowledge would be greatly appreciated thanks.

SS

Comment

one other thing ...on the website it (as all seem to have) mentions having to pass a medical testing . should i get this far and fail is that rule merely saying i have a right to fight the decision to not hire me due to deafness?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7627 users online. 243 members and 7384 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X