300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NOAA Criminal Investigator

NOAA just opened up 1811 postitions at multiple locations at 09 to 12 grades. 09 requires a graduate degree or higher to qualify based soley on education or specialized experience which is defined in the qualifications section of the annoucement. Their definition of experience indicates that an applicant must have past LE experience to apply.

On to my question....is there any leeway with the type of required experience? I have a Bachelor's degree and 3+ professional experience but not in any LE capacity. I have seen this before with other agencies and always moved on b/c I didn't have "specialized experience" the way it was defined by the hiring agency. I was wondering if I've been missing the boat by not applying or am I just out of luck b/c I don't have prior LE experience?

Originally posted by Mr. Belick View Post
    NOAA just opened up 1811 postitions at multiple locations at 09 to 12 grades. 09 requires a graduate degree or higher to qualify based soley on education or specialized experience which is defined in the qualifications section of the annoucement. Their definition of experience indicates that an applicant must have past LE experience to apply.

On to my question....is there any leeway with the type of required experience? I have a Bachelor's degree and 3+ professional experience but not in any LE capacity. I have seen this before with other agencies and always moved on b/c I didn't have "specialized experience" the way it was defined by the hiring agency. I was wondering if I've been missing the boat by not applying or am I just out of luck b/c I don't have prior LE experience?
    Just apply the worst they can say is no and who knows you might win this lottery. Seriously, OIG gigs are luck if you can get in.

Comment

Is this an IG position?

Comment

Originally posted by CJSSA2B View Post
        Is this an IG position?
        Sorry, it is for the dept. of commerce.

Comment

Originally posted by StateChamp View Post
          Just apply the worst they can say is no and who knows you might win this lottery. Seriously, OIG gigs are luck if you can get in.
          Why is that? So many applicants so few openings? Same for Dept. of Commerce jobs ya think?

Comment

NOAA falls under the Dept. of Commerce. NOAA very rarely hires 1811's. When they do, the applicant pool is very competitive.
            "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Belick View Post
              Why is that? So many applicants so few openings? Same for Dept. of Commerce jobs ya think?
              These agencies tend to have a "calmer" environment as opposed to the alphabet agencies. So agents from other agencies tend to apply for these ones to get this type of "relaxed" lifestyle. Could be family reasons or not as much pressure to move from city to city. Therefore, they get agents from other agencies to move over and they tend to give them these slots as opposed to someone who has no LE experience.

I still apply for these spots, but I have the mindset of forgetting about it and moving on with my life, but you NEVER know. Like I said it could be your turn this time to win the "lottery"

Comment

I don't think this is an OIG gig. From reading the job description and researching a bit on their site it looks like you will be enforcing laws related to commercial fishing and other environmental regulations. I don't think you'll be spending a lot of time in the office or working white collar/fraud cases. I could be wrong, maybe somebody can chime in who has worked with agents from NOAA. I agree with Champ, prior 1811s are going to have a leg up on the rest of the pool, not to say you can't get lucky, especially if you have some experience in this field.

Comment

It's not OIG.

Comment

Originally posted by StateChamp View Post
                    These agencies tend to have a "calmer" environment as opposed to the alphabet agencies. So agents from other agencies tend to apply for these ones to get this type of "relaxed" lifestyle. Could be family reasons or not as much pressure to move from city to city. Therefore, they get agents from other agencies to move over and they tend to give them these slots as opposed to someone who has no LE experience.

I still apply for these spots, but I have the mindset of forgetting about it and moving on with my life, but you NEVER know. Like I said it could be your turn this time to win the "lottery"
                    You are correct in saying NOAA is a "calmer" and "relaxed" lifestyle. I know many NOAA agents and many of them are former Secret Service, along with several other Fed agencies but it seems like SS is where a lot of the agents came from.

Comment

[QUOTE=dpd0779;1734579]I don't think you'll be spending a lot of time in the office or working white collar/fraud cases. I could be wrong, maybe somebody can chime in who has worked with agents from NOAA. [QUOTE]

Actually you will be spending A LOT of time in a office working cases, fraud is actually a big crime for NOAA (fishermen saying they caught X amount of fish but actually caught Z amount of fish). Most of the NOAA enforcement field are criminal investigators, however there are a few enforcement officer positions. The enforcement officer positions are more your typical patrol officers, and they do most of the field work. NOAA use to have a lot more enforcement officers until about 10 years ago when they decided they would just pay the states to do more of the traditional police work and NOAA would do more of the traditional investigation work. This resulted in the state fish & wildlife agencies that received the funding having their officers federally deputized as NOAA officers/agents. So NOAA is truely a office based investigative agency.

Any more ?s shoot me a pm.

Comment

I don't have any experience working fish and wildlife enforcement/investigations. My background is drugs and general crime investigations. So I guess the question is do I have a shot? Is there anyone else applying with no prior experience in this field?

Comment

I recently went to a training class with an 1811 from NOAA. He loved it and came on straight out of college.
                          You do not greet death, you punch him repeatedly in the throat until he drags you away...

Comment

I am applying to the Seattle position. Both DEU & MP.
                            I have 3 masters degrees (MBA, MAFM, MPM).
                            I worked CI/CT in the army (E6 Staff Sergeant), and I currently run a team of 5 investigators in the private sector investigating procurement fraud.
                            I have 30% plus disability (10pt preference).
                            They changed the rules for age (37 cut off) does not apply for preference eligible’s, so I am applying at 41.
                            Hope I can get a shot.
                            "From now until the end of the world, we and it shall be remembered. We few, we Band of Brothers. For he who sheds his blood with me shall be my brother." - William Shakespeare ("King Henry V")

Comment

The "calmer" or "more relaxed" description is relative to what fed agency you're talking about and in what context. The only agency I know of that is out running and gunning or making arrests regularly are the guys in the USMS who do the warrant work. Other than that, most 1811's are interchangeable in the sense that it takes a lot of a time to build a criminal case which may end up in an arrest being made - that applies regardless of agency, so the idea that an 1811 from a bigger, 3-letter agency makes more arrests than someone from somewhere else doesn't necessarily hold water.

IMO, as far as people from the bigger agencies seeking out jobs like NOAA or IG's because they are "more relaxed" has more to do with the smaller size of the agency, the lack of micromanagement/greater freedom to do the job, and a big one: the lack of forced transfers or enforcement of mobility agreements. I know a LOT of former USSS 1811's and those were their biggest beefs about USSS - that and the excessive travel and mandatory OT for protective details - not "relaxed" as in equating to less enforcement activity or a safer job.

Case in point: if you want to find a nice collection of people who 1) dislike the government, 2) regularly employ felons, and 3) are almost always armed while "at the office", you can't do much worse than commercial fishermen, whom NOAA agents have regular contact with. So just as an IG 1811 who gets to walk around the 'hood by himself with no backup or dispatch trying to locate and interview some crackwhore, the level of "relaxation" is all relative to what your mission requires.
                              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11070 users online. 380 members and 10690 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X