300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kc12 View Post
    What Greenline stated is correct. To get a bit better understanding of the reasons behind the age limit here is extra information. The age limit is set because the agency is hiring people in a career and the natural course of a career is to retire at the end. People hired into positions that have an age limit are actually being hired into a position that has a mandatory retirement age. In the case of an agency that has an age limit for hiring of 36 years old the retirement age is 57, thus allowing the applicant to retire from that position after serving 20 years. The only reason for the age limit is to allow for retirement.

You state the "only reason for the age limit is to allow for retirement".

Can I do the job after 57 ? I think at 57 I may do a better job then I was doing at say 37. Would you not agree ? Don't you think I would know when it's time to retire when my time comes ? According to SS I really can't retire until I'm 65 for full SS benefits. So I ask again what's with this magic number of 37 ?

Thanks
    James P.
    " Never judge others unless you truly know them"

Comment

Can I do the job after 57 ? I think at 57 I may do a better job then I was doing at say 37. Would you not agree ? Don't you think I would know when it's time to retire when my time comes ? According to SS I really can't retire until I'm 65 for full SS benefits. So I ask again what's with this magic number of 37 ?
      It doesn't matter whether ONE person or even a hundred people can do the job after 57. Many others cannot, simply because LE, in general, demands a more vigorous and fit workforce. For that reason, the system was set up to allow LEO's (and firefighters) to retire with 20 yrs. service instead of the normal 30.
      "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

In addition to what Greenline stated, by getting rid of the 57 year old mandatory retirement it will effectively get rid of the 12(d) retirement. There's no reason to give a higher percentage for less years years of work if the employees can work as long as they want.

As far as the workforce, generally the statistics are not on your side. When looking at injury rates, rooks come in first then it drops after a couple years, then the number goes up again around the 10-15 year point as a person becomes more complacent, then the total number of injuries goes down again. Even though the total number of injuries goes down the number per capita, for end of career officers injured on the streets, goes up. At least this was the trend when I was learning about it. It is presumed that by the time a person is at the end of their career they are in some kind of non-emergency type position so they are less likely to get into fights and be injured. This is the reason for the drop in the total number of injuries. The older people who remain on the streets is lower, but they are injured more frequently than their younger counterparts. Like I stated these were the stats when I was learning about them in the last few years.
        But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object, evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new guards for their future security.

For the intelectually challenged: If the government screws the people enough, it is the right and responsibility of the people to revolt and form a new government.

Comment

Originally posted by CityTrashman View Post
          Can I do the job after 57 ? I think at 57 I may do a better job then I was doing at say 37. Would you not agree
          I would agree that you are mentally able to the job, but at 57, try getting into a foot pursuit of any length, or anything else physically demanding (think of Clint Eastwood in the "Line of Fire").

I'm not 57, but I've got plenty of years in and even though I keep myself in pretty good shape, I'd be kidding myself if I thought I can compete physically with a 21 or 31 year old.

The 57 mandatory retirement was designed to maintain a "youthful and vibrant" pool of FLEO's (words to that effect). You may not agree, but the basic premise is not so far fetched.
          They Don’t Think It Be Like It Is, But It Do.

Comment

Don't you think I would know when it's time to retire when my time comes ?
            To answer this question, I'd have to say no. In federal law enforcement, there are tons of people who DON'T know when it's time to go, plus others who may know, but are still hanging on for the paycheck.
            "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7311 users online. 325 members and 6986 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X