Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whats The Straight and Narrow to the FBI/CIA?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats The Straight and Narrow to the FBI/CIA?

I would like to know whats the most accurate way to the FBI/CIA. My ultimate goal is to work for one of these agencies no matter how long it takes. I was wondering whats the first thing I should do from my given background which isnt much but I would like to know what my next move should be.

My background is 4 years in the Marine Corps 1 of which was with Military Police company in Fallujah Iraq. I just got hired with the DOD Police 0083.

I have the GI bill which im ready to use so any degree im ready to get to obtain my ultimate goal. Any suggestions on what I should do next as far as certs or anything I can do from this point to move forward in the right direction. Thanks in advance.

Why do people always lump the FBI and CIA together? They are two TOTALLY different agencies with two TOTALLY different missions. CIA is not a law enforcement agency whatsoever, it is an INTELLIGENCE agency. If you want to get into law enforcement, then FBI (or about 80 other Federal LE agencies) is what you want. If you want to collect or analyze foreign intelligence, then CIA is what you want. Do some research so you know exactly what you're trying to get into...

Comment

I believe the FBI has a list of critical skills in which they need. You might want to focus your education on those skills if you want to pursue a job with them. The FBI requires a 4 year degree to apply anyway.
      What is Perseverance?
      -Perseverance is commitment, hard work, patience, endurance.
      -Perseverance is being able to bear difficulties calmly and without complaint.
      -PERSEVERANCE IS TRYING AGAIN AND AGAIN.

BOP - BPA - ICE

Comment

Originally posted by BD380 View Post
        Why do people always lump the FBI and CIA together? They are two TOTALLY different agencies with two TOTALLY different missions. CIA is not a law enforcement agency whatsoever, it is an INTELLIGENCE agency. If you want to get into law enforcement, then FBI (or about 80 other Federal LE agencies) is what you want. If you want to collect or analyze foreign intelligence, then CIA is what you want. Do some research so you know exactly what you're trying to get into...

Thank you captain obvious for letting me know that the CIA and FBI are 2 totally different agencies with different missions lol... I think you misunderstood my question a little, I don’t know which agency I would like to set my goal for therefore I would like to gather some info as a part of my research. I have been to their sites and a few others and gathered some useful info just wanted some input from you guys. Thanks for your input as well, anything helps.

Im stuck on whether or not to go for my business or IT degree...

EDIT: Thank you THEKANSAN ill have to look this up.

Comment

Originally posted by MORTON View Post
          I would like to know whats the most accurate way to the FBI/CIA. My ultimate goal is to work for one of these agencies no matter how long it takes. I was wondering whats the first thing I should do from my given background which isnt much but I would like to know what my next move should be.

My background is 4 years in the Marine Corps 1 of which was with Military Police company in Fallujah Iraq. I just got hired with the DOD Police 0083.

I have the GI bill which im ready to use so any degree im ready to get to obtain my ultimate goal. Any suggestions on what I should do next as far as certs or anything I can do from this point to move forward in the right direction. Thanks in advance.
          Well a buddy of mine was hired by FBI and completed the process for the CIA Clandestine Services and told me much about them. Both REQUIRE some kind of special skill. FBI usually looks for diverse and unique educations like IT/accounting/foreign policy or the like. The CIA is similar but they usually go after foreign language skills, people who have lived abroad, and also have unique educations. I know the CIA likes em young, they usually go after fresh grad students, ivy leaguers and similar.

And btw, the CIA does have federal investigators, as does the NSA and DIA.

If you want to be a federally, look at ICE. They are big and getting bigger. They are a little easier to get into and have an immense amount of crap they investigate.

Comment

Among those FBI hires are lawyers, accountants, and computer nerds. CIA hires all those, and if you can speak a foreign language like a native, that might be helpful in some positions. One thing common to both agencies is having to follow the bad guys' money trails.

Comment

Thanks guys ill do research on all of this for some reason i thought thast getting my CJ degree would help me but all of this makes sense good thing I spoke to you guys before i started my classes and thanks for that.

Comment

I'd advise getting a degree in something you enjoy vice something you think is going to get you hired because the reality of the situation is you may not be hired by either. I work for a much smaller, less popular, federal agency than both CIA and FBI and we recieved over 2000 applications for less than 100 positions to fill. Not exactly gamblers odds.

Also, while DoD police is a good job, I don't think it is going to make you competative for either FBI or CIA. If your interest is in law enforcement and intelligence, you'd be much better off starting w/ a local PD. Many ask how you can get intel experience in a PD. Recruiting, developing and utilizing informants, analyzing crime trends and working UC ops is intelligence work. You almost certainly won't develop these skills with DoD police. I think you'll find a local PD a better resume builder and the work will be more rewarding.

Good luck.

Comment

I think you need to figure out what you want to do for your career. Since you say you are aware of the two different missions of the fbi/cia then why do you ask which one of those agencies you want to work for.

That is like saying which one should I do? Go to work for X,X, and X attorney's at law or X family physicians.

Comment

And btw, the CIA does have federal investigators, as does the NSA and DIA.
                    They have very few and when they do recruit for those positions, they're filled primarily with senior 1811's from other agencies - not someone trying to crack into federal LE from the outside.

There really is no "straight and narrow" to the FBI, CIA, or any other agency. If there were, it certainly wouldn't be a secret. There would also probably be no one waiting years to get a federal job and no long, arduous, highly-competitive hiring process. To get hired, be prepared to have well above the "minimum" qualifications: an advanced degree and/or a special skill isn't going to hurt. Plus a clean record, patience, perserverence, and a lot of luck.
                    "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

Short answer based on my personal research, and observation (not experience)...High level education like an advanced degree from an Ivy League or comparable college *OR* high level socom operational experience. Both agencies recruit from certain universities, and have recently been recruiting persons with socom experience.

Being a cop is not going to get you anywhere near either of these agencies.
                      Last edited by CUFFS137; 02-28-2009, 03:05 PM.

Comment

One background that BOTH highly desire is counterintelligence. If you re still in the reserves try to do CI/HUMINT for the Marine Corp (in the Marines it is combined). Of course get your college degree, thats the obvious one.

As far as what to focus on for your degree that may satisfy both, I really could not tell you off the top of my head. They can higher just about anyone if that person has specialized and extensive expierence. In some cases degree and GPA are overlooked based on your experience (as said by a CIA recruiter)

One suggestion is to say what you exactly want to do for either agency. Yes you can apply to many Fed agencies to be an 1811, but is the mission they have what you want? Clandestine service? or analyst?

I am sure you have these answers, it is just very general when you say you want to work for either agency is my point.

Best of luck to you

Comment

Originally posted by CUFFS137 View Post
                          Being a cop is not going to get you anywhere near either of these agencies.
                          Bull! I have a Army buddy that had 3 years as a Enlisted MP, when back to his hometown State University and got a degree in Marketing, after graduation he worked for the Federal Reserve and worked as Reserve Police Officer for a small suburb outside of where he lived and after 4 years of experience, applied for and was hired by the FBI on his first try.

So, it can be done.

Also, I've worked with quite a few FBI Agents in my career and not all of them come from Ivy Leauge Schools.

As for the CIA, who knows, who cares. As stated, they are not a FLEO Agency, they are are a Intel gathering agency.

Comment

ignig....is absolutely correct. i personally know and work with several fbi agents that were police officers. yes, they had their degrees, but they were only patrol officers when they were hired.

Comment

I've heard the FBI is big into hiring accountants and lawyers, and both the CIA/FBI like to hire people who can speak a desirable foreign language.

just my .02

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6441 users online. 205 members and 6236 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X