Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOD Police Officer 0083 Academy Questions?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well let me start by saying im new to the law enforcement field and I know its something I want to do but at a higher level which I know will take awhile but I figured a CJ degree would help me towards that goal...

Comment

And it can also hurt you. Unless you plan on going into the private sector/or corrections, a CJ degree these days in LE and I mean local and Feds, doesn't exaclty help you any. Now a business degree, yes. Just a thought.
      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Business degree never thought of it like that really. I just figured Criminal Justice degree was like right up the law enforcement's alley. My wife's cousin did four years in the Marine Corps and then did 3 years at jacksonville police dept got his criminal justice degree and now he works for the FBI. My goal for now is FBI and I just thought that might be the fast track... I also thought about getting my IT degree but that wouldnt really help me in LE would it?

Comment

FBI as a special agent? If so, check out their website and other forums or even on here as a CJ degree is not the way to go with the FBI. Accounting, IT, Business or even foreign lang. is awesome in their eyes. Yes some LEo experience will help. Marine Police (civlian), yes, maybe. IT can help you in LE as their are computer crimes, etc.
          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Thanks for the info I will probably get the IT degree because before I joined the Marine Corps I was working on that degree so will just finish it. I will check out their website as well.

Comment

You were right. I went on the FBI and CIA websites and their requirments mostly include degrees in: foriegn lang, accounting, business, and IT. On their sites it said nothing about a CJ degree period. I think IT degree is the way to go because there is so much else you could do with it the only thing that sucks is the fact that tech. is always changing so getting your certs every year would be alot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by CUFFS137 View Post
                The guys who work at Ft. Dix have all the authorities of, and are generally reguarded as the equivelent of municipal cops.

They don't and aren't. They have the most minimal powers off base while on duty, and I am talking right outside the gates. The have ZERO powers off duty, and they turn in their weapons at night. They have no statutory arrest authority, and can't carry under HR 218. They are more like armed security guards and nothing like a municipal cops.

Comment

^^^
                  Not according the the NJ Statutes book (2007 edition) that I'm looking at which lists DoD police officers (who have attended an NJ PTC approved police training academy) as having full peace officer status, at all times, throughout the state. If this has been changed, or updated (it hasn't) then my bad.
                  Last edited by CUFFS137; 02-28-2009, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MORTON View Post
                    EDIT: My dad keeps pushing border patrol but I know I don’t have enough experience, I figured working this job for awhile will at least beef up my resume if nothing else you know..
                    You should listen to Dad. Border Patrol training, and experience is pretty respected at the federal level. There are a great many opportunities just within that agency (highly reguarded tactical team), and they are under ICE which has loads special agent positions if, after getting some time in, you still want to go that way.

Comment

Originally posted by CUFFS137 View Post
                      You should listen to Dad. Border Patrol training, and experience is pretty respected at the federal level. There are a great many opportunities just within that agency (highly reguarded tactical team), and they are under ICE which has loads special agent positions if, after getting some time in, you still want to go that way.
                      Sorry but BP is not part of ICE, it's under CBP. To get an 1811 gig with ICE, you do not need to be BP or even and Ice Agent with ICE!

Comment

^^^
                        My bad. I got my federal structure messed up.

I know you don't have to be a BP agent to get hired as an ICE agent, but was making the point that BP experience may be looked upon favorably if trying to attain that position (LE, and linguistic skills, smuggling interdiction vs. smuggling investigation, etc.), and they are both DHS agencies...That much I know (unless that chnaged without anyone clearing through me first!).

Comment

Most BPA's that have gone to ICE have came on as Deportation Officers, not IEA's. Some have however. You do not need prior LE experience to become an ICE Agent. Special Agent, it helps.

Comment

Originally posted by irishlad2nv View Post
                            Most BPA's that have gone to ICE have came on as Deportation Officers, not IEA's. Some have however. You do not need prior LE experience to become an ICE Agent. Special Agent, it helps.
                            You say "ICE Agent," and then "Special Agent." Are you refering to two different jobs? I know about DRO, and IEA. Is there an ICE agent, and a different special agent position? A ton of ICE guys use our range. Cool group, but I have no idea what each guy does. I know there are guys with various titles all grouped together at the same field office.

Comment

IEA Detention Removal Operations= immigration enforcement agent = ICE agent
                              ICE Office of Investigations = Special Agents = 1811

2 different jobs

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8274 users online. 392 members and 7882 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X