Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DOD Police Officer 0083 Academy Questions?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DOD Police Officer 0083 Academy Questions?

Just have a question about the 0083 position. I am currently going through the hiring process here at Camp Lejeune and I was told that my report date for the academy on Camp Johnson is March 13th and I was wondering what the academy consist of?? Reason why I am asking is because the only Military Police experience I have was when I went to Fallujah Iraq for 1 year with the MP's and I am going to this academy blind per say as I have no experience with PMO all we did out there was foot patrols and room clearing which I know is way different than writing tickets on base. I just want to do the best that I can in this academy. Any information would help thanks in advance. Also my online classes start in May to get my criminal justice degree so I am pretty serious about this field of work.

I have done some research but I would rather ask those who are in a related field. I have not come up with anything so far, everything I found was posted in 2004 and for Army posts not Marine Corps... Like I said anything would help thanks.

Comment

I just want to thank you guys for all of your help..... Good luck to all of you anyways.

Comment

I don't know what the military academy is like, because they recognized a previous academy when I signed on. It should be a basic l/e academy with PT/DT and a bunch of law, tactics, etc...
        "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

DOD PD officers are civilian cops. They provide police services to various military bases. There are a few such bases in NJ. I expect that they go through a civilian police academy at FLETC.
          They probably then go through some sort of state specific statute training in the state that they are going to work in.

The guys who work at Ft. Dix have all the authorities of, and are generally reguarded as the equivelent of municipal cops. I'm sure if you look into what to expect at any residential police academy, you'll find more info on what to expect.

The job itself is not like being an MP from what I am told.
          Last edited by CUFFS137; 02-24-2009, 11:53 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys its some good info. From what I have seen they do exactly what Marine MP's do I just got out of the Marine Corps Feb 6th 2009 and around sept 2008 is when they started doing the change over left seat right seat here at MCB Camp Lejeune. They are still doing the change over here but you see more and more civilians patrolling in sqaud cars now on base than Marines also there are a lot more civilians at the gates now as well. From what I gather unless proven otherwise it is the exact same job as a Marine MP I.E Marine PMO.

EDIT: Also depending on how you do on your tests and such in the academy would that lead to a "gate" or "post" job vice patrolling or is it sort of like (speaking to prior Marines) Barracks duty I.E "10 of you have gates today and the rest are patrolling" and vice-versa?
            Last edited by MORTON; 02-24-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MORTON View Post
              Thanks guys its some good info. From what I have seen they do exactly what Marine MP's do I just got out of the Marine Corps Feb 6th 2009 and around sept 2008 is when they started doing the change over left seat right seat here at MCB Camp Lejeune. They are still doing the change over here but you see more and more civilians patrolling in sqaud cars now on base than Marines also there are a lot more civilians at the gates now as well. From what I gather unless proven otherwise it is the exact same job as a Marine MP I.E Marine PMO.

EDIT: Also depending on how you do on your tests and such in the academy would that lead to a "gate" or "post" job vice patrolling or is it sort of like (speaking to prior Marines) Barracks duty I.E "10 of you have gates today and the rest are patrolling" and vice-versa?
              I doubt that how you do in the academy effects your job assignment. If such were true, it would lead to a real issue with any unions involved, and would be counter to Navy Policy (although the USMC seems to be setting a fair amount of new ground with their 0083 program)

As to what to expect, I would say dont get your hopes up. These programs tend to be really generic. Just keep your head low, your mouth shut, and Im sure you can make it through. As prior military you should know a fair amount of UCMJ bases law and procedure, so spend a bit of time getting to know the state codes (mainly traffic) and federal laws that are class A or B misdemeanors as that is where most work outside the UCMJ will be needed.

Comment

The Navy base I worked on had contract guards for the gates and the officers worked patrol and other special functions.
                "The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke

Comment

Originally posted by CUFFS137 View Post
                  DOD PD officers are civilian cops. They provide police services to various military bases. There are a few such bases in NJ. I expect that they go through a civilian police academy at FLETC.
                  They probably then go through some sort of state specific statute training in the state that they are going to work in.

The guys who work at Ft. Dix have all the authorities of, and are generally reguarded as the equivelent of municipal cops. I'm sure if you look into what to expect at any residential police academy, you'll find more info on what to expect.

The job itself is not like being an MP from what I am told.
                  Fort Dix is its own beast and does things the way they want. hence forth why they still have DoD patches (as does Monmouth and Picatinny on the army side) and cars. I know Dix used to send their guys to the Burlington county academy but Im not sure if they have done that in awhile. Maybe a Dix (or DoD guy from Jersey) can chime on here.
                  I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

I was on base yesterday and there was a DOD Officer there and I started conversation with him for the short time he was there and I was able to find out a few things from him. The Academy is held on Camp Johnson which I knew already but it is 3 months long. He said that it is really boring but a good "door opener" job. When you go to these "In house" academy's do you get sworn in and the whole nine yards? Will I get the certificates and things I need to transfer to a higher agency later on down the road? The promotional opportunities for this job is only to a GS-7 which is great but once I get to that level I don’t want to be stuck there get my drift.. They have me starting off as a GS-5 which the guy I was talking to said makes more than your average civilian police officer out in town.. Is this true? I wish I had more time to talk to the guy...

Comment

Here we go. Ok, your certs you will get mean jack squat. It sucks, but if you are going to do 3 months for the military, you might as well get a job as a local, making more! Can you make more locally, yes, can you make more working on a military base? Sure. But that's where you will have to check things out and compare. Toping out as a GS-7, well that could mean a Sgt's slot, but as a patroman (gs-5), thats all you may ever get and even after 2 yrs, you may still be a GS-5, step 2.

You may get sworn in , but that's as a Govt employee. Not as a "police officer". Once you leave base or are off of work, you are citizen x.
                      "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Yeah thats what I figured its all I have for right now but your right I was telling my wife yesterday that the academy was the same length as when I went to Marine Corps boot camp and that the certs probably wonldnt mean crap. They probably do this so they wont lose anyone to transfers... I called the HR for Onslow County Police department like 3 weeks ago and got nothin.. I know they are hiring because they lost almost 14 officers to the DOD police here on base..

EDIT: My dad keeps pushing border patrol but I know I don’t have enough experience, I figured working this job for awhile will at least beef up my resume if nothing else you know..
                        Last edited by MORTON; 02-26-2009, 06:08 PM.

Comment

Some choose the job for several reasons. Easy money, yes. But you have to look at retirement, etc. You are not on the LE pay scale or retirement and many local agencies offer some kick-butt retirement and salary, and many other benefits. Some bases do pay ok compared to the locals, but in the end do what you have to for you and the family. Always keep your options open and if this can be your foot into the govt, do it and then choose another "federal" LE agency.
                          "An excuse is worse and more terrible than a lie, for an excuse is a lie guarded."

Comment

Thanks for the support man, Yeah thats what I plan on doing just whats best for right now and then try to transfer later down the road. I also want to get my criminal justice degree while im here in this position. So I dont view the situation as a complete waste you know..

Comment

I am going to ask why CJ? Go for something that will allow you to have a back up plan if LE doesn't work out. Yes any degree is great, but a CJ has it's up and downs. Yes use the GI bill to it's fullest and get what you can out of this job, if it's possible? Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11833 users online. 472 members and 11361 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X