300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DHS entry level jobs

Does anyone know what it takes just to get into DHS at a level 5? Not an investigator job, just a 'get your foot in the door' job. If someone has a bachelors degree in Criminal Justice and Criminology and a strong desire to work for the Federal Government, what do they have to do to get a job? Thank you.

It depends on the job.

Go to USAJOBS and look at the openings (you can search by agency). They should all list what an applicant needs to qualify.

Comment

My daughter has been applying for jobs with multiple agencies for a year. I did not expect her to get into one of the investigative training jobs right out of school, but thought getting into an entry level administrative job, wouldn't be that big of a deal. But, it seems to be a big deal. She did not have an internship, she was a DI athlete, on a top 5 team. So she has some other skills that should convert well into the work world, ie. good time manangement, team player, works well under pressure. We had a private company write her first federal resume and ksa's and she just adapts the resume and ksa's as she applies for other jobs. She is really down and I am ready to pull my hair out. Any advice would be really welcome.

Comment

www.borderpatrol.gov for starters.
        "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

Questions

Originally posted by someonesmom View Post
          My daughter has been applying for jobs with multiple agencies for a year. I did not expect her to get into one of the investigative training jobs right out of school, but thought getting into an entry level administrative job, wouldn't be that big of a deal. But, it seems to be a big deal. She did not have an internship, she was a DI athlete, on a top 5 team. So she has some other skills that should convert well into the work world, ie. good time manangement, team player, works well under pressure. We had a private company write her first federal resume and ksa's and she just adapts the resume and ksa's as she applies for other jobs. She is really down and I am ready to pull my hair out. Any advice would be really welcome.
          First off, I know it can be extremely frustrating. Try to be patient ( I know, you would think a year would be enough time). I applied for several DoD civilian police jobs on various military bases immediately after I got out of the military and I couldn't even get an interview. I was a military police supervisor and I was putting in for jobs well below what I was qualified ( I had supervised several people in the EXACT same position that I was applying for). Still... couldn't even get a second look. So, please just bare with the process. It makes zero sense sometimes. She needs to get into two habits: One - apply for everything she qualifies for (seems like that is happening already). Two - forget that you ever applied.

Does she have her heart set on DHS? Or just anywhere in the fed? Many law enforcement jobs are hurting for women really bad and being a college athlete helps.

So, did she actually apply to those police type jobs or did ya'll skip over those and go for the lower level jobs only?

Is she working in a responsible type position right now as while she applies to the Fed?
          Last edited by Ali G; 02-22-2009, 08:01 PM.

Comment

My standing advice, to anyone, is..

If you want to work in federal law enforcement, you need to look at what each agency does and decide what type or law enforcement you want to do: evironmental, immigration, security, drugs, OIG, fish and wildlife, intelligence, military, firearms, explosives, general invesigating, taxes, protective, etc.. Each agency has a specialized area, which may overlap with other agencies, but that is their bread and butter.

Comment

Federal Only? I'd say Border Patrol is an excellent choice.

I started life as a part time local park ranger with a large metropolitan park district. I was making good money and working my way through college. (With the hopes to become a state or national park ranger) I took a $4/hr. pay cut my last year of school to take a state park internship. That paid dividends that I am STILL collecting 9 years later! I was a C/B student most of college. They drilled it into us that internships were the gateway to employment after school. I agree 100%. My wife, straight A's Microbiology BS degree, NO internships. That got her NO job anywhere close to her degree. She tried and tried for a couple years. She's not doing anything related now and it took her several years to figure out a good career path!

Anyway I walked straight into full time employment out of college/internship into the exact career path I wanted. I have parlayed that into a pretty cool job offer from the Feds right now. I am in the process of switching over from State LE to Feds. I have made a good living in a cool career path with the state. If the Fed. thing doesn't work out I will still have a good life ahead of me as a Statie!

An internship or local/county/state LE jobs are all ways to gain experience and build the resume!
              Last edited by buckeyeboater; 02-22-2009, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Thanks for everyone's comments. She just started applying for local LE and of course our local county announced a suspension of their training classes after she passed the written and physical, pending budget issues. But, she will keep plugging.

Comment

It's tough to get straight into fed investigative positions straight out of college. It can be done, especially if the person has a very unique skill like speaking a middle-eastern language, but it is tough. I was in the same position when graduating college. Good grades at a good school, ect. I ended up going local pd and it was the best thing I could have done. Great experience.

Tell her to keep trying. I spent 10 years as a local cop before hiring on with the feds. An opportunity came earlier than that, but it was not the right time to do it. But the bottom line is that we all have to start somewhere, and education + experience is almost always better than education alone.

But just to beat the same drum some others have posted, the Border Patrol is always hiring. If that is something she is interested in doing, she might have a pretty good shot.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8154 users online. 378 members and 7776 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X