Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Spirit of Adventure" vs "Spirit of Service"

Hi all.

I am completeing an application for a police department and i have to write a couple of essays. i got three of the four handled and done. my question is on the fourth.

the question is- Describe the roles of “Spirit of Adventure” and “Spirit of Service” in your view of modern policing

i cant seem to get a clear definition of these two terms. i searched the internet and only found them mentioned in a couple of things but no clear definitions.

thanks for any help.
    If guns cause crime, all of mine are defective.

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
    Thomas Jefferson

anyone else?

"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who are not."
    Thomas Jefferson

Comment

My advice is to break down the phrase, and look up the words spirit, adventure, and service in the Webster’s Dictionary. As you define these terms and decipher its implied meaning to you, select life experiences that are applicable and personal.

Hope that helps.

Comment

i am not asking for answers to the question. the question is what role do they play. i did not ask that question. i merely asked for a definition of two terms that i am unfamiliar with. thanks anyways

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

What police department is this for?

Comment

interesting question

I appreciate a department that provides this kind of question to its applicants. It's a question that gets at the philosophical reasons behind why a person might want to do this job.

I also understand how this question might sound ambiguous to an applicant.

My suggestion is similar to what some other's have offered here: talk about what "service" means to you (e.g. serving the community, helping to safeguard people's rights and property, etc.) and combine that with the notion of "spirit of adventure" and what that represents for you.

At its core, it sounds like the question is trying to get at the motivation for a person to apply for a LE job. Some do it for the excitement, others for the sense of giving back to the community at large and helping people. I tend to think that to be successful in this field, it makes sense to have a little of both in a candidate. However, that's just my opinion and of course, you have to give your own thoughts on this question since its your job application.

I respect the poster that believes that asking the forum for advice on this question equates to cheating on a test. That is one way to look at this, but I feel a little differently. Nowhere on a job application does it state that you can't ask a person for advice or clarification on how to answer a question. Furthermore, that question is very ambiguous. It merits clarification and I think that if someone takes the time to ask for help, that shows a number of admirable qualities: namely that the person is humble enough to admit they don't have the answer and could use some assistance, and that they have a desire to provide a thoughtful answer. I'm sure there are others that answered that question without giving it much thought and they will not get hired, and that is a good thing.

Comment

Thank you very much for your response. I answered it the same way you explained it. I also agree with you on the reason for me asking. Thanks again for your response.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8221 users online. 377 members and 7844 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X