Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is this going to effect my career choice?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this going to effect my career choice?

My dream career has always been law enforcement even as a young kid, in the past couple years it has really come to face where it is indeed the career I want to pursue for my life. I have always been a good kid albeit a poor highschool student, I ended up dropping out in 10th grade and acquired my GED. I am currently 23 and in the process of attaining my BA in Criminal Justice.
    At the age of 18 I bought my first motorcycle and with that came the group meet-ups and unsavory type of people. That year I was riding with a large group of riders on the local highway and everyone passed a highway patrol unit at a high rate of speed. I was young and stupid and pumped up with adrenaline and it was just a poor use of judgement on my part.
    I was arrested with two felony arrests, one being a really bad fake ID I had so I could get into some clubs here.
    At court time all felonies were dropped and I was convicted of Gross Misdemeanor Conspiracy To Commit Reckless Driving. I was sentenced to 1 year probation, of which I completed 6 months early.
    This is the only time in my life that I have had any run in with the law other than a couple minor traffic violations, I still have 0 points on my driving record and have never had a suspended license.
    Now this incident was 5 years ago and my question is; is my felony ARREST going to DQ me or do they only base it off actual convictions?
    My local departments only ask if you've had any felony convictions but I know when my BI starts my packet he will see my arrests also.
    I am also in the process of getting my charge expunged if that makes any difference.

I appreciate any advice you guys give me, positive or negative. Thank you!

Originally posted by Drav View Post
    My dream career has always been law enforcement even as a young kid, in the past couple years it has really come to face where it is indeed the career I want to pursue for my life. I have always been a good kid albeit a poor highschool student, I ended up dropping out in 10th grade and acquired my GED. I am currently 23 and in the process of attaining my BA in Criminal Justice.
    At the age of 18 I bought my first motorcycle and with that came the group meet-ups and unsavory type of people. That year I was riding with a large group of riders on the local highway and everyone passed a highway patrol unit at a high rate of speed. I was young and stupid and pumped up with adrenaline and it was just a poor use of judgement on my part.
    I was arrested with two felony arrests, one being a really bad fake ID I had so I could get into some clubs here.
    At court time all felonies were dropped and I was convicted of Gross Misdemeanor Conspiracy To Commit Reckless Driving. I was sentenced to 1 year probation, of which I completed 6 months early.
    This is the only time in my life that I have had any run in with the law other than a couple minor traffic violations, I still have 0 points on my driving record and have never had a suspended license.
    Now this incident was 5 years ago and my question is; is my felony ARREST going to DQ me or do they only base it off actual convictions?
    My local departments only ask if you've had any felony convictions but I know when my BI starts my packet he will see my arrests also.
    I am also in the process of getting my charge expunged if that makes any difference.

This question can only be answered by a crystal ball bro... With no felony convictions and one misdomeanor five years ago, you should meet minimum quals and therefore my advice would be to apply. The BA degree will be a plus. Alot depends on agency hiring practices, your accomplishments and ability to sell yourself and your competition. If you have 10 as qualified applicants for 10 slots with no prior record, you may not get hired. If you are the best candidate of the bunch, even with a record, you may.

All you can do is drop paper and see bro. Whatever you do, don't make any attempt to rationalize or minimize your past behavior. State the facts and if asked, explain what you've done since to improve yourself and how today you are a better person because of it. Good luck.

M.

Comment

Nobody's perfect. Being that the felonies were reduced you won't get "disqualified". The only thing that will hurt you is the competition. Now those guys probably won't be without incident themselves but they might, and that would put you at a disadvantage.

Comment

I can help you !!!

I can help you get that arrest expunged, although Law Enforcement can stills see it, you do not want if something happens in your career for the media to pull it up. Just PM me and I can help get it taking care of......Just keep applying ..........

Comment

Originally posted by Drav View Post

Fill me in a little (if you wish) on the charges. I've never heard of "Conspiracy to commit Reckless Driving", and I'm unaware of a fake ID charge being a felony. Please understand that I'm not accusing you of lying, but I'm a little confused concerning the "felony"(s). Moving on. All of the previous said, the charges are serious, and will have to be disclosed. You seem to know that Expungements do not really exist where LE Background Investigations are concerned. Most, if not all agencies will be interested in any original charges, whether Felony/Misdemeanor. Any related information is certainly pertinent. It's impossible for me to state whether any specific agency will hire you. That decision will have to be made by them.

Comment

Regarding the felonies, a large number of the cyclists took off, anyone associated was charged with Felony Evade/Elude, which was reduced to the Conspiracy I believe.
            I was also charged with Felony Reckless Injury/Death because I hurt my ankle getting off the bike..this charge didn't make a whole lot of sense and didn't even make it to court.
            For the ID, it was originally charged as Gross Misdemeanor False Identification but they later tried to change it to Felony False Government Document or something to that effect, trying to make an example out of me because they thought I was running with a local group of riders that frequently ran from the police and stole bikes. I proved that wasn't the case (it was my first motorcycle and I had it for like a week, still had my temp tags on it) and they dropped the ID charge completely also.

NHP does not like the sportbike scene here and for good reason, there are a lot of people who enjoy starting pursuits just to run from the police. Simply put, NHP thought I was one of them but in reality I was a barely 18 year old kid who had his first streetbike and went on a ride with the wrong people. It's no ones fault but my own and I accept that, I had the humbleness to approach my arresting officers at court and apologise.
            I made the mistake getting the fake ID and looked up to all the guys doing the wheelies down the highway until I saw their true colors with a hard lesson for myself.
            I'm not going to try and justify what I did, just trying to give you perspective as to what it actually was. If it keeps me from a future in law enforcement so be it, I'm mature enough to accept that.
            I'm just hoping that my mistake during the time I let my dream career slip past my better judgement doesn't keep me from it forever.

Comment

It will be a bump in the road for you. Some departments may not hiring you due to the felony regardless of the dropped charges but some may. Thing is the economy is bad and a lot of people are applying for jobs in LE. Also 5 years is not a real long time since the incident but it has been a while. Some agencies that are hard up may take a chance on you. But you very well may have to relocate to get that first job. Good luck and give up the bike.

Comment

I got the bikes off the street after that incident and only own non-streetable race bikes...track only

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12232 users online. 544 members and 11688 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X