Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FEDeral agencies question Please!

hey guys;
    I have a question for some people please. Im about to graduate from college in april with my B.A, and two minors, and my grades are good. Im not Leo certified, nor any LEO experiance. I plan to apply to CBP, and would like to know if there are any other agencies with that i could get into that will take qualified students out of college. WOuld someone give me a few they would recommend please. Also, I wanted to apply to FDLE, florida department of Law enforcement, but according to what i read thier not hiring. Anyways, i hope someone could help me out, thank you again for your time and consideration.

Federal Jobs with 20 to 25years to retire

FBI, Federal Air Marshals, ATF, DEA, Bureau of Prisons, State Department all these agency will hire you right out of school with no experience

Comment

911, are you serious? today the only agency you listed that is likely to hire someone out of school with no experience is BoP......

FBI SA..no way (not even eligible..you need 3 yrs full time work exp)
      FAM...maybe qualified but wont be competitive
      ATF SA....not competitive
      DEA SA...most likely of the Alphabet suit agencies to consider however most likely would not be a competitive without a foreign lang....
      State SA.....um a 4 year degree alone with no exp is no where near enough....you might get to the oral interview stage however it would be unexpected to make it past this stage with no exp....

uwf....you best bet is to look or 0083 (police officer) positions and CBP officer positions.....

I would say CBP would be the most likely to hire someone in your sitauation....

there are other agencies to think about to CIA SPS (CIA Police), FBI Police, DHS FPS, and maybe a few others......
      Last edited by imallset2; 02-17-2009, 08:27 PM. Reason: i cant spell....

Comment

Originally posted by 911fedz View Post
        FBI, Federal Air Marshals, ATF, DEA, Bureau of Prisons, State Department all these agency will hire you right out of school with no experience
        Not exactly.

FBI with a few rare exceptions requires 3 years of full time work experience, not necessarily in LE, but three years in whatever field you're in to get "life experience" before they will hire someone as a Special Agent. In the areas where they do make exception it's still very rare for someone to get hired without some life experience beyond their academics.

ATF, DEA, and DoS/DS, technically can hire people straight out of college, but again it's VERY rare as they also want people with life experience, beyond college. Again, that's not limited to LE experience, but the most competitive candidates have a resume that includes something beyond just a college degree.

Can't comment on FAMs and BOP, as I don't know enough about their hiring practices to guess. I know a few people in those agencies, but not enough and/or well enough to have gained any insight into how likely it is to get in straight out of college.

Comment

Thank you

Thank you guys, i appreciate the honesty, I already applied to the CBP, and after reading this ill think ill stick with them federally. I also applied to the JSO, my local agency, my professor was a Lt. there and told me about them, and they seem great. So i think think ill need to apply to more than 2 places, i hear they will keep you busy enough~! What is the CBP test like, is i difficult, if i study do most people pass, just have no clue about it.
          My professor also told me that FBI< CIA, DEA, ATF, FAMS, really only take experiance LEO's, and even then, they like Bachelors, they will SOMEtimes take out of college, but you have to have like a 4.0. to REALLy have a shot. So yeah, CBP seems it, but he said there a great jumping off point, and a great agency. I heard also, they are selective, but fairly easy to get on, if you pass everything okay cause they need people. Man, i just want a shot somewhere in Law enforcment.

Comment

and based on what i see in the USA jobs, isnt border patrol and CBP the same, i dont see two different jobs, and both bring me to the same place, so its the same agency correct?

Comment

Originally posted by uwfsam2000 View Post
              and based on what i see in the USA jobs, isnt border patrol and CBP the same, i dont see two different jobs, and both bring me to the same place, so its the same agency correct?
              Border Patrol is part of CBP, however being a border patrol agent and a CBPO are different positions. If you want aggressive enforcement activity and a lot of action, go with BP hands down. I say this on the board all the time, but ICE and DEA hire a lot of ex-border patrol agents, because the experience you get chasing drug smugglers and aliens is unparalleled anywhere else. The downside of BP is that you will generally have to go to the SW border first. CBP has stations nationwide, you can be at a land crossing, a seaport or an airport.

In response to your original post, it is tough (but not impossible) to land a Special Agent spot right out of college. Your best bet is probably USSS and Diplomatic Security, they seem to hire inexperienced people more than other agencies. Still tough spots to land without prior LE/military. I always say apply if you meet the minimum qualifications. It is good experience to start going through the hiring process, and you never know, might just slide in there.

In addition to Special Agents, ICE also has Immigration Enforcement Agents. This is more of an entry-level position and is a good place to start if you are interested in FLE. The announcement is posted periodically on usajobs. Other good entry-level fed jobs are USSS-Uniformed Division, Capitol Police, U.S. Park Police, and U.S. Marshals Detention Enforcement Officer (DEO). All good places to get experience and many, many people have gone on from those jobs to special agent jobs with FBI, DEA, ICE, etc.

Definitely don't overlook local/county/state LE jobs. If you go to a large city department and do well on patrol for a few years, you have a chance to become a detective. Once you have investigative experience plus a B.A., you will be a top candidate for a federal agent position.
              Last edited by ICEAGENT; 02-17-2009, 10:06 PM.
              Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Well, thank you again guys, you all have given me alot of places to start and research. IS Immiagration Enforcement Hiring now? That does seem good place, the others ill have to do more reseach on. QUick question though, when i filled out my BP application, it had me select northern US or SW U.s. I really didnt think it mattered in my chances of getting hired, and they will put me where they need me correct? I selected Northern, but i hope that didnt hurt my chances to be hired, I just didnt Know.

But great, i have lots of places to look up now, that makes me happy, and thank you.

Comment

You guys with just a bachelors need to get real. Most agencies are swamped with applicants so they are going to toss your resume out without something extra. Your best bet is to join the military and take graduate classes while you are in. When you get out you will have respectable work experience and maybe even a graduate degree.

Comment

CIA
                    Sigh.

The CIA IS NOT a Federal LEO Agency! It is an Intelligence Agency.

That is all.

Comment

But their police of have federal jurisdiction because of the land!!!

I do believe they are also trained at FLETC, someone correct me if I am wrong!
                      "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                      German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

Originally posted by FormerUSAF View Post

CIA SPOs have to complete the UPTP at FLETC. They seem to be hiring. I applied on a whim and was asked to complete an online test, and send some paperwork back in DEC. I was invited to attend a informational session in March.

Comment

My professor also told me that FBI< CIA, DEA, ATF, FAMS, really only take experiance LEO's, and even then, they like Bachelors, they will SOMEtimes take out of college, but you have to have like a 4.0. to REALLy have a shot.
                          Let's just say your professor is greatly exaggerating the situation.

First, CIA is an intel agency. Yes they have a handful of LE personnel who handle security, and internal investigations, but they are not primarily a LE agency. I'm not sure about their hiring of uniformed personnel, but the few GS-1811s they have are usually experienced investigators. They have too few of them to spend time training an agent from the ground up.

Second, it is completely incorrect to say FBI, DEA, ATF, and FAMS only hire experienced LEOs. They hire from a diverse set of backgrounds, including people with no LE experience. They do occasionally hire people straight out of college, but those hires are based on having a unique background (such as interning with a LE agency during college), and do not need to have a super high GPA. However, it is rare for a traditional college student to be hired straight out of college with no full time work experience.

I'm sure your college professor means well, but he really doesn't know what he's talking about if he really said that to you.
                          Last edited by SA13; 02-18-2009, 08:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by FormerUSAF View Post

No offense, but I believe he was talking about CIA in itself and it is not a LEO agency. Most folks seem to think of the uber secret squirrel stuff as being LE for some reason and it's not.

Yes, they have uniformed Police Officers at Langley that do a host of LE related jobs but it's mainly a Force Protection mission. And yes, they are FLETC trained.

Comment

Originally posted by Jarhead1302 View Post
                              Your best bet is to join the military and take graduate classes while you are in.
                              Again, it's unrealistic to make blanket statements such as this. While prior military people make a healthy minority of the people I've worked with over the years, the reality the majority of my coworkers do not have a military background. There truly are diverse backgrounds among the fed LEOs I work with, both at the agencies I worked at, and the agencies we worked with on investigations. To say that one particular path is the "best bet," is horrible advice. As there is more than one way to skin a cat, and what's "best" for one person may be the "worst" for another.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10357 users online. 465 members and 9892 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X