300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stimulus Plan

Will this new "plan" that passed this weekend help jump-start U.S. LE job creation (and maintain current positions) Thanks

not if they spend $ 30 MILLION on the California Slat Marh mouse and another Billion plus on the "Happy Train" from Disney to Las Vegas.

Just more PORK spending

Comment

Originally posted by GreatLakeState View Post
      Will this new "plan" that passed this weekend help jump-start U.S. LE job creation (and maintain current positions) Thanks
      I think it will, I have a few buddies looking at a number of Fed agencies and they were told that once this plan came through they would have money for more postions. With that said only time will tell.
      You do not greet death, you punch him repeatedly in the throat until he drags you away...

Comment

Originally posted by PigsdoFly View Post
        I think it will, I have a few buddies looking at a number of Fed agencies and they were told that once this plan came through they would have money for more postions. With that said only time will tell.

I haven't heard anything about the stimulus plan opening more FLEO positions. The only thing that may, is an end to the continuing resolution (CR) that has many agencies running on bare bones. With that said, here are some of the FLEO agencies that are going to receive money via the stimulus package:

Department of Agriculture - Office of Inspector General $22,500,000
        Department of Commerce - Office of Inspector General $10,000,000
        National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Office of Inspector General $6,000,000
        Department of Justice - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000
        NASA - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000
        Defense Department - Office of Inspector General $15,000,000
        Department of Energy - Office of Inspector General $15,000,000
        Department of the Treasury - Inspector General for Tax Administration $7,000,000
        General Services Administration - Office of Inspector General $7,000,000
        Small Business Administration - Office of Inspector General $10,000,000
        Department of Homeland Security - Office of Inspector General $5,000,000
        Bureau of Indian Affairs - Office of Inspector General $15,000,000
        Environmental Protection Agency - Office of Inspector General $20,000,000
        Department of Labor - Office of Inspector General $6,000,000
        Department of Health and Human Services - Office of Inspector General related to the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology $17,000,000
        Department of Education - Office of Inspector General $14,000,000
        Corporation for National and Community Service - Office of Inspector General $1,000,000
        Social Security Administration - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000
        Government Accountability Office salaries and expenses $25,000,000
        Veterans Affairs - Office of Inspector General $1,000,000
        State Department - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000
        Department of Transportation - Office of Inspector General $20,000,000
        Department of Housing and Urban Development - Office of Inspector General $15,000,000
        National Science Foundation - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000

Yes, alot of OIG's. But who knows what it will be used for. Mainstream agencies like DHS will be receiving money, but it appears to be specifically earmarked for buildings, radios, and equipment (inspection systems, etc.). However alot of money will be going to state and local LE through grants and other federally run programs...

To see a breakdown of where your tax dollars are going:
        http://www.propublica.org/special/th...st-of-spending

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalFed View Post
          I haven't heard anything about the stimulus plan opening more FLEO positions. The only thing that may, is an end to the continuing resolution (CR) that has many agencies running on bare bones. With that said, here are some of the FLEO agencies that are going to receive money via the stimulus package:

Department of Agriculture - Office of Inspector General $22,500,000
          Department of Commerce - Office of Inspector General $10,000,000
          National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration - Office of Inspector General $6,000,000
          Department of Justice - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000
          NASA - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000
          Defense Department - Office of Inspector General $15,000,000
          Department of Energy - Office of Inspector General $15,000,000
          Department of the Treasury - Inspector General for Tax Administration $7,000,000
          General Services Administration - Office of Inspector General $7,000,000
          Small Business Administration - Office of Inspector General $10,000,000
          Department of Homeland Security - Office of Inspector General $5,000,000
          Bureau of Indian Affairs - Office of Inspector General $15,000,000
          Environmental Protection Agency - Office of Inspector General $20,000,000
          Department of Labor - Office of Inspector General $6,000,000
          Department of Health and Human Services - Office of Inspector General related to the Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology $17,000,000
          Department of Education - Office of Inspector General $14,000,000
          Corporation for National and Community Service - Office of Inspector General $1,000,000
          Social Security Administration - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000
          Government Accountability Office salaries and expenses $25,000,000
          Veterans Affairs - Office of Inspector General $1,000,000
          State Department - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000
          Department of Transportation - Office of Inspector General $20,000,000
          Department of Housing and Urban Development - Office of Inspector General $15,000,000
          National Science Foundation - Office of Inspector General $2,000,000

Yes, alot of OIG's. But who knows what it will be used for. Mainstream agencies like DHS will be receiving money, but it appears to be specifically earmarked for buildings, radios, and equipment (inspection systems, etc.). However alot of money will be going to state and local LE through grants and other federally run programs...

To see a breakdown of where your tax dollars are going:
          http://www.propublica.org/special/th...st-of-spending
          Interesting, I didn't realize that many angencies would be effected, thanks for the info.
          You do not greet death, you punch him repeatedly in the throat until he drags you away...

Comment

Originally posted by tactical208 View Post
            not if they spend $ 30 MILLION on the California Slat Marh mouse and another Billion plus on the "Happy Train" from Disney to Las Vegas.

Just more PORK spending
            Have to love Pelosi and her love for the RATS!

Comment

While its unclear whether the bill will do much of anything in terms of local and state law enforcement, Federal LE has been hiring for tons of positions.

Bill or no bill, the Feds need people and will find the money for them somewhere.
              This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Originally posted by CHItoDC View Post
                While its unclear whether the bill will do much of anything in terms of local and state law enforcement, Federal LE has been hiring for tons of positions.

Bill or no bill, the Feds need people and will find the money for them somewhere.

Yes and no. Certain positions/agencies have high attrition rates, so they are literally always hiring (BoP, CBP, TSA, etc.) out of need to retain minimum staffing levels. However some positions within certain agencies which some people consider 'coveted' don't have the money to hire, period. A good indicator is looking at the 1811 series on USA Jobs. Yes, there always some openings, but the number of actual openings are fewer and as a 'cost savings' measure many shops are low balling and only advertising GS 5/7/9 spots. Not many GS13's (who are current 1811's) are willing to take that much of a drop in pay just to switch agencies. For example in California there are only four 1811 listings for GS 5-13. And two of them are advertised as GS 7/11 spots. And if you don't have status, there is only one opening...

Comment

this plan does not directly affect the CR or the budget a specific agency is operating on. it may have a small impact on some hiring but not much. remember this is a 1 time payment. so you can not create a lot of positions from this if you can not work them into your budget over the next few years. some money will be used to bring back programs that have been cut, focus on diff case work that agencies have had to put on the back burner etc. this money is going to be stretched very very thin. there are a lot of agencies that need this just to continue doing what they were doing maybe a year ago or so. dont get me wrong, some of this money will go to creating some le jobs but as stated before you are not going to see the increase in job annc. that you may be hoping for.

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalFed View Post
                    Yes and no. Certain positions/agencies have high attrition rates, so they are literally always hiring (BoP, CBP, TSA, etc.) out of need to retain minimum staffing levels. However some positions within certain agencies which some people consider 'coveted' don't have the money to hire, period. A good indicator is looking at the 1811 series on USA Jobs. Yes, there always some openings, but the number of actual openings are fewer and as a 'cost savings' measure many shops are low balling and only advertising GS 5/7/9 spots. Not many GS13's (who are current 1811's) are willing to take that much of a drop in pay just to switch agencies. For example in California there are only four 1811 listings for GS 5-13. And two of them are advertised as GS 7/11 spots. And if you don't have status, there is only one opening...
                    I do agree...to a point.

High attrition posts are always hiring, in every field...basically everywhere, not just the government. But there are good LE positions out there if you look. Capitol Police is still testing and hiring. I know US Mint Police was hiring. USSS-UD always seems to be looking. Not to mention the giant FBI hiring wave that is going on. Those CIA guys always seem to be looking too (but you didn't hear that from me ).

Those higher pay grade jobs may be few and far between, but I'd argue that they always are, despite economic conditions. When I graduated college (oh so many years ago) and started looking for government jobs (most of which I was in no way qualified for) the only ones that were abundantly available were GS 5/6/7.
                    This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Originally posted by CHItoDC View Post
                      I do agree...to a point.

High attrition posts are always hiring, in every field...basically everywhere, not just the government. But there are good LE positions out there if you look. Capitol Police is still testing and hiring. I know US Mint Police was hiring. USSS-UD always seems to be looking. Not to mention the giant FBI hiring wave that is going on. Those CIA guys always seem to be looking too (but you didn't hear that from me ).

Those higher pay grade jobs may be few and far between, but I'd argue that they always are, despite economic conditions. When I graduated college (oh so many years ago) and started looking for government jobs (most of which I was in no way qualified for) the only ones that were abundantly available were GS 5/6/7.

I guess I have a different perspective as a current federal employee vs. someone who is trying to become a federal employee. I'll agree that places like USSS/UD and Capitol Police are hiring, then again they experience turnover at levels, which require more continuous hiring of entry level folks. However when you get to the GS-13 level (and up) in the 1811 series, there are not as many open positions out there. USA Jobs is a good indicator. Sure there are positions open here and there, but not at the pace you saw just a few years ago. Again just my two cents as a current GS-13 1811.

Comment

Fair enough. As a current federal employee I'd say you probably have a better assessment of the situation, especially if are looking to move up. Hopefully things will turn around, stimulus or no stimulus.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5235 users online. 226 members and 5009 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X