300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Miami-Dade Police Dept. or CBP?

I'm struggling with a career decision. If you had the choice between Miami-Dade Police Dept. or CBP(Customs and Border Protection), Which would you take and why?

Originally posted by grullj View Post
    I'm struggling with a career decision. If you had the choice between Miami-Dade Police Dept. or CBP(Customs and Border Protection), Which would you take and why?
    I think the question is what is it you are looking to do on a daily basis. These are completely different jobs and no one can look into your heart and determine the best decision for you.

Comment

CBP OFO or Border Patrol?
      "Officer, you are kinda hot."

"And you are kinda intoxicated."

Comment

How badly do you want to stay in Florida?

CBP is a federal job with 327 ports, 58 international cargo facilities, and 15 international airport passenger pre-clearance facilities. Plus it opens the door toward a lot of other Fed jobs.

I don't know much about MDPD.

Truthfully, I'd take the first job offered. A bird in hand...especially in these times.

CBP is hiring for 11,000 positions in 2009. Somewhere around 4000 of those will be CBPO's.
        Last edited by merlin436; 02-13-2009, 07:49 PM.

Comment

or are you saying Miami-Dade or CBP A&M? OFO and BP are not the only aspect of CBP. A&M in Miami... would be interesting... very interesting and busy.

Comment

Realy???????

Comment

grullj
              A Federal job is always good to have and can be a stepping stone to other major Fed jobs. Great retirement. Now I have alot friends who work for Miami Dade and some love it, and some don't. In the end its all up to you.... but get in where you can both ways you will be happy.

Comment

they are very different jobs

grul i/m retired from nypd and the similarities between working the street as a patrolman or working for cbp other then carrying a firearm and wearing a shield(badge) are few and far. I can tell you walking the beat will keep you busy elevate your stress and adrenlin. Ahh i had some great times chasing perps through the So. Bx,East Harlem, Wash.Heights.I digress no my friend you and only you will need to pull the trigger on this one."10-13 shots fired shots fired south bo. on Grant ave 167st perp is down rush the bush". those were the days:

Comment

Originally posted by nypdout View Post
                  grul i/m retired from nypd and the similarities between working the street as a patrolman or working for cbp other then carrying a firearm and wearing a shield(badge) are few and far. I can tell you walking the beat will keep you busy elevate your stress and adrenlin. Ahh i had some great times chasing perps through the So. Bx,East Harlem, Wash.Heights.I digress no my friend you and only you will need to pull the trigger on this one."10-13 shots fired shots fired south bo. on Grant ave 167st perp is down rush the bush". those were the days:
                  LOL! you sound like you're going through withdraw symptoms! Joking aside NYPDout thanks for your service.
                  Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

Depending on what you are looking for in a law enforcement career. If you want law enforcement then 100% Miami-Dade!!

If you go with CBP and it is Miami Airport or another large airport, LAX, JFK, etc, you will be doing nothing but stamping passports.

Cargo isnt much better if you would get a cargo port.

"Customs" is a little better than the "INS" side. But the emphasis is so skewed to passport issues it isnt even close.

The MDSD has a much better retirement program than CBP. CBP, correct me if I am wrong, is only 1.5% per year. Mandatory retirement at 57. You have to chuck your money away in your TSP to ensure you are not on welfare when you retire. I have/had my money in the I Fund in the TSP and it was $23-24 a share and the last I looked it was down to $13 a share. Lost a bundle. So retirement isnt really a benefit in CBP.

But what it comes down to is the job you are looking for. No one here can really tell you because we dont know you or what you are looking for. But officers are running out of CBP.

But if it is CBP, just be happy you have a job and one that pays decent. A lot of people today cant say that.

Comment

Having done regular police work, I'd pick USBP
                      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                      that we are all that stands between
                      the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

.................................................. ........................
                        Last edited by OVERCBPII; 06-23-2009, 04:14 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7670 users online. 372 members and 7298 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X