300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Get the Ball Rolling

Hello. New member here. I am currently active duty Navy for the past 7 1/2 years. An excellent service record, my honorable discharge will be this December.

I've been following leads on USAjobs, RecruitMilitary, FBIjobs, ad nauseum and am looking to finally make the leap into law enforcement and stop leaving the country for weeks to months at a time.

Can someone please link a thread on this website (I'm sure there is one, but in my search, I haven't found "the one") on how to start applying? I really enjoy reading some of the posts here, especially on the "Rookie Corner".

I'm sure I'll have more questions, but I've already found a few answers in my searches.

I've been doing law enforcement applications for the past 3 years. It is a long and arduous process, but you must stay diligent!

I recommend checking in with your local PD's where you plan on residing. Go on ride-alongs and learn about the department and how they do things. This will also give you talking points in the oral interview.

Biggest thing is don't quit looking. Sometimes you don't get in on your first application. I've done 5 applications at 4 departments and it looks like i'm finally getting on.

Best of luck to you in your search. Welcome to O.com. There is a wealth of knowledge here that will make you laugh, cry, ponder and may someday save your life.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently trying to have my Secret security clearance upgraded to Top Secret before I get out (I'm trying a rate conversion that requires a TS). Will this help me at all?

Comment

It might speed things up, which is nice.

From what I understand (which isn't much) the DOD clearance may or may not be transferred to other departments. I know for instance, a clearance from the Department of Commerce would not transfer to DOD.

The point is, your clearance would not hurt, but double check with the departments you are interested in (I'm assuming Fed depts, since those are the only ones where a TS clearance are really going to help.)
        This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Very good. Thank you very much. I will continue the research.

Comment

Okay, the list of required documents:

1) Copy of state-issued driver's license - DONE
            2) Copy of Social Security card - DONE
            3) Certified copy of driving record from state currently license - ORDERED TODAY, takes "at least 2 weeks"? Damn you, DMV!
            4) Last two pay check stubs - DONE
            5) Sealed credit report from Experian - I have the phone number, is that the best way to go about ordering?
            6) Certified birth certificate - DONE
            7) Official high school transcripts, GED or Diploma, all official college transcripts (official transcripts must be delivered to police department in sealed envelope with institution's letterhead on envelope) - Would a copy of MY diploma work, or do they normally need BOTH the diploma and transcripts?
            8) DD-214 long form (If still in military, letter from Commanding Officer stating applicant in good standing, how many years of active service and will be honrably discharged prior to completion of hiring process) - I'm out in December, and eligible cadets will be informed by October/November, academy starts in February. I will inform them of this.
            9) Copy of marriage license - DONE
            10) Certified copy of divorce decree/addendums - N/A
            11) Letter/document on department's letterhead confirming present Law Enforcement employment - N/A

Comment

Originally posted by Zion View Post
              Thanks for the reply. I'm currently trying to have my Secret security clearance upgraded to Top Secret before I get out (I'm trying a rate conversion that requires a TS). Will this help me at all?
              Not really. You'll lose it when you ETS anyway. Any LE agency will still do their own BI, regardless of your prior clearance.

Comment

Originally posted by Zion View Post
                Okay, the list of required documents:

1) Copy of state-issued driver's license - DONE
                2) Copy of Social Security card - DONE
                3) Certified copy of driving record from state currently license - ORDERED TODAY, takes "at least 2 weeks"? Damn you, DMV!
                4) Last two pay check stubs - DONE
                5) Sealed credit report from Experian - I have the phone number, is that the best way to go about ordering?
                6) Certified birth certificate - DONE
                7) Official high school transcripts, GED or Diploma, all official college transcripts (official transcripts must be delivered to police department in sealed envelope with institution's letterhead on envelope) - Would a copy of MY diploma work, or do they normally need BOTH the diploma and transcripts?
                8) DD-214 long form (If still in military, letter from Commanding Officer stating applicant in good standing, how many years of active service and will be honrably discharged prior to completion of hiring process) - I'm out in December, and eligible cadets will be informed by October/November, academy starts in February. I will inform them of this.
                9) Copy of marriage license - DONE
                10) Certified copy of divorce decree/addendums - N/A
                11) Letter/document on department's letterhead confirming present Law Enforcement employment - N/A
                I know in Illinois you can go to your local DMV and get your certified driving record that day. That is if you can put up with being at the DMV.

What dept./agency were you looking at?
                This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Sir,

I'm looking at the Austin PD. I'm currently in a small town outside of Buffalo, and our DMVs are slow beyond belief.

Comment

The experience you've listed would in my opinion make you a top candidate for the department.

Any federal security clearance for a local department is not going to be of much use, at least officially. On the other hand, seeing that on an application may look nice, especially with all the other experience that you have.

Point is, you will most likely still have a background check done.

Good luck!

Comment

Thanks. I put up a resume on RecruitMilitary.com (as well as others) if anyone would like to take a look. I could definitely use some pointers.

There are Brazilian Jiu-jitsu schools in Austin, which is excellent to hear. I'd love to get back into it if I were fortunate enough to get accepted into the academy.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9169 users online. 434 members and 8735 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X