300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New guy looking for opurtunities.

Hey guys, im new so i ask to bear with me.
    i just got out of highschool in june, and i was with the explorers -called Cadets in my town for almost a year. ive had over 120 hours of community service in highschool, and job experience at gamestop if any of you are wondering.
    I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen could direct me in the right direction.

From what ive seen the Town of Davie, South Florida. is taking applications and the only thing i have a faint idea of, is that i need to take the CJBAT.
    Any help appreciated. thanks in advance.
    http://daviepolice.com/
    Last edited by MaverickCowboy; 02-09-2009, 02:11 PM.

First off let me say welcome to the forum.

Do you want to go Federal or do you want to stay at the local level?

The reason I ask is more and more Federal agencies are requiring you to have a 4 year college degree and/or experience!

Comment

It appears that both openings (certified and non-certified) require 60 hours of college classes as a requirement. Don't know if you have that (I'm guessing if you just graduated from HS that you don't).

If thats the department you want to work for, get the college you need and go for it. If not, I would wait until you are 21 (seems like that is the minimum for many depts.) get some experience and stay clean. You are going to have background checks and maybe polygraphs to pass, so you don't want any past discretions biting you in the butt.

Also, like dotcomer said, if you wait awhile, get some more education and work experience, you can check out Federal LE positions.
      This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

Originally posted by dotcomer View Post
        First off let me say welcome to the forum.

Do you want to go Federal or do you want to stay at the local level?

The reason I ask is more and more Federal agencies are requiring you to have a 4 year college degree and/or experience!

im looking to stay local.
        Is there any local agency that does not require college?

Comment

Originally posted by CHItoDC View Post
          It appears that both openings (certified and non-certified) require 60 hours of college classes as a requirement. Don't know if you have that (I'm guessing if you just graduated from HS that you don't).

If thats the department you want to work for, get the college you need and go for it. If not, I would wait until you are 21 (seems like that is the minimum for many depts.) get some experience and stay clean. You are going to have background checks and maybe polygraphs to pass, so you don't want any past discretions biting you in the butt.

Also, like dotcomer said, if you wait awhile, get some more education and work experience, you can check out Federal LE positions.
          what kind of college would this require?

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickCowboy View Post
            Hey guys, im new so i ask to bear with me.
            i just got out of highschool in june, and i was with the explorers -called Cadets in my town for almost a year. ive had over 120 hours of community service in highschool, and job experience at gamestop if any of you are wondering.
            I was wondering if any of you fine gentlemen could direct me in the right direction.

From what ive seen the Town of Davie, South Florida. is taking applications and the only thing i have a faint idea of, is that i need to take the CJBAT.
            Any help appreciated. thanks in advance.
            http://daviepolice.com/

I'm sorry I can't give you any specific information. I can tell you that google is your friend. You can find a lot of info on google!

General LE advice:

You are probably looking at a two year or longer wait before you can get on with a PD (maybe I'm wrong). But, use that time to build a background/resume that will put you above the other people.

You have an advantage: You already know what you want to do and you have an idea (so far as I can tell) of where you want to do it. Either finish college or go into the miltary... or both. But, realize that you are working toward being a cop, so when your friends say to "take a hit", you might want to rethink that. When you want to just drop a job with no notice, you might want to give them two weeks notice and stick with it so you don't have any splaining to do when the background investigator asks.

If I was in your shoes I would go in the Air National Guard and do a job as far removed from security forces/military police as possible. Being military law enforcement is not more of a draw than any other job within the military. However, you will be more likely to get deployed if you do a combat related job or military police type gig. PDs usually don't care about that stuff because they are going to teach you that anyway. Do something that will let you continue with school and not take over your life.

Go through the training and go finish college. As you are doing that, learn about the job of being a cop. Go on ride alongs. Get to know some cops. Find out what they like and don't like about it. Try to do things that will set you apart from the other applicants ( learn a second language, see if you can volunteer to work in some are of the criminal justice system like victims services, social service, even courtroom administration, get an internship through your college to do something related to LE).

There are lots of applicants that wish they would have known what to do back when they were your age. Don't blow this opportunity! Go to school, get some relavent experience, stay clean, hit the gym occaisionally, learn how to communicate orally and using written language, and be a good person. You will get picked up.

Comment

These guys are dead on Maverick.

A lot of us wish we knew back then what we know now and could start fresh out of high school. Man, we would all set the world on fire!

I would say join an ROTC program and definitely start college. Even if you don't go the LE route college will benefit you in the long run.

You may be able to get on some kind of reserves or cadet LE program while your in school. Also campus police is always hiring. There is plenty of experience you can obtain while getting that higher education.

Comment

Brilliant words. as far as settling, i'm a bit hesitant on burning money for college due to plans on moving to Bozeman Montana and attending MSU as well to get a pilots license. right now i'm Unemployed because i was layed off, so were my other coworkers . so i'm hurting for employment right now. moneys short and i got a pickup truck thats eating me up here. i guess ill just have to incorporate college right now. my neighbor is a cop and hell sit with me and discuss ,so ill have a little better perspective there.
                Last edited by MaverickCowboy; 02-09-2009, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MaverickCowboy View Post
                  what kind of college would this require?
                  If you need 60 hours look into Juco. If you want to get on with the Feds, most likely a 4 year degree in something.
                  This is for all you new people. I only have one rule: everyone fights, no one quits. You don't do your Job i'll shoot you myself.

Comment

If you need 60 hours look into Juco. If you want to get on with the Feds, most likely a 4 year degree in something.
                    i have Florida prepaid college plan, but i want to use that for MSU. curious as to how i can manage that.
                    also what is Juco?

Comment

There is always more than one way to skin a cat...

I'm not 100% sure, but I think if you have a Florida prepaid college plan then you have to use it for a Florida state school, don't think it transfers out of state. (Probably wrong, google has lied to me before!)

If you have the money there, via the prepaid plan, then use it. Go to school either part time or full time. Get an education whether 2 year or 4 year.

The military is also a good option. Not everyone likes school, and for LE the experience you would get is valuable.

Maybe another option (just some crazy brainstorming) is to check out the corrections field. Some corrections depts. do not require a college degree and take younger candidates. Again, I'm not saying to settle, but I'm sure many correction officers would say they have gained invaluable experience in dealing with criminals. This could be used to make a leap to full time police officer in your future.

Comment

Their are federal LE jobs that do not require a BA but many do. If I were you I would look at going to college or a community college. Good Luck. And at your age in this economy you cannot afford to be picky. If you want a job now you will likely have to be willing to move to get it. With the feds you will be moving for sure.

Comment

I don't know about Border Patrol, but I believe BOP correctional officer positions require a four year degree. I may be wrong.

Comment

I don't know about Border Patrol, but I believe BOP correctional officer positions require a four year degree. I may be wrong.
                            I use to work for the BOP as a C/O and I now work for the BP as BPA. Neither require a degree but the BOP, at least where I was hired, would not hire you without at least 1 yrs experience as a C/O, deputy or military. But you can get hired at both agencies without a degree. I have a BA but a lot of my coworkers do not. I'd suggest you consider the BP if you want action. But you will have to move for the USBP. Don't even consider the BOP (aka KGB). Terrible hug a thug management.
                            Last edited by SHU; 02-11-2009, 11:15 PM. Reason: n

Comment

BOP is hiring right now, but minimum qualifications (at lease according to usajobs) was a four year degree, or three years experience.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11714 users online. 482 members and 11232 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X