300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Preferred Naval Fields?

If I were to join the navy, which field would look more attractive to prospective employers, Shore Patrol or Naval Intelligence? Or is military experience generally good all around?

What employers? Intel will probably do more for you with certain federal agencies for the foreseeable future. The higher security clearance that someone may have working in intelligence won't hurt either.

Comment

I was actually considering the NYPD.

Comment

Originally posted by Mal View Post
        Or is military experience generally good all around?
        Bingo!

A good discharge, good references from your leaders, good credit, perhaps some college (if you are able to), and the willingness to move where the jobs are when you get done are keys.....

Intel is good if you want to go into some Fed stuff.....and even in the NYPD if you stay in the Reserves once you get done with your Active Duty commitment....as NYPD has a HUGE Intel Section.....Yeah, you need a hook....but do your job on patrol, make some good collars, and you might be able to get into the unit with a Intel background..... Language Skills on top of Intel would be golden as well.....

MA (Navy Law Enforcement) is good as well but if you will actually do LE is another matter as the Military (as a whole) is going to towards civilians doing the work....and what you need to know to be a LEO will be taught to you in an academy....

Just my .02 cents...

Comment

If I were to join the navy, which field would look more attractive to prospective employers, Shore Patrol or Naval Intelligence? Or is military experience generally good all around?
          Shore Patrol isn't what you are thinking it is. Shore Patrol is made of volunteers from any rating that keep a watch on other Sailors when at a port.

The LE aspect of the Navy are Master At Arms. However LE is being phased out and the job is focused on Anti-Terrorism and Force Protection. Gates, security reaction teams, harbor patrol units, counter surveillance, physical security ect.. when at a CONUS or OCONUS base. Convoy security, detainee ops, assitance to civil affairs teams, embedded training trains ect... when deployed to a combat zone. Or deployable units like Riverine Squadrons or Maritime Expeditionary Security Teams www.necc.navy.mil if you want an idea of what they do.

Comment

One more note there will always be some bases that do have LE work for MAs but expect to work alongside with DoD Police. I'm at one of those bases and most of our department is DoD Police. I personally enjoy working with civilians, and the experience is great as I have done alot of real LE work here. So if you want to do LE don't let the "phasing out" bother you too much. It's not impossible to get it.

Comment

Is intelligence pretty good all around or are there better fields in the navy for law enforcement?

I already have a BA in CJ from a good university, but I decided to jump into the navy and get some credentials because even though my background is squeaky clean, after reading through the NY forum, I feel terrifyingly unqualified.

Comment

Is intelligence pretty good all around or are there better fields in the navy for law enforcement?

I already have a BA in CJ from a good university, but I decided to jump into the navy and get some credentials because even though my background is squeaky clean, after reading through the NY forum, I feel terrifyingly unqualified.
                Intel does just that intel. They do not do LE. Don't get me wrong the Navy stood up a new unit called Naval Expeditionary Intelligence Command that does some interesting things. It's definitely a step outside of typical Naval intel. However it's not LE. If you want a top secret clearence and want to do LE at some point go MA and ask about the PRP program. The training is great but the job is extremely boring. You guard nukes. TS required and you can always get a billet where you do LE later.

Comment

I don't actually want to do law enforcement in the NAVY, I just want to know what fields impress civilian departments most, specifically, the NYPD.

Comment

I don't actually want to do law enforcement in the NAVY, I just want to know what fields impress civilian departments most, specifically, the NYPD.
                    What I have heard time and time again is that anything in the Military impresses a civ dept. It's not so much what your job is in the Military. You will deal with a chain of command in the Military and your ability to work in your position in that chain of command and execute orders when told is what a civ dept. will mostly look at. Again thats what I've been told by many civ LEOs.

Comment

Get the college credits and the nypd will hire you. Its not a hard job to get once the economy gets better. Guys have been running away from that job since the days of zeros. And then Ray kelly came along and ruined the job.
                      And your experience won't mean anything. Its all about the hook on otj. Capt or better. Take the ncpd and scpd on the island and the PAPD. Much better jobs with much better pay.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                        Get the college credits and the nypd will hire you. Its not a hard job to get once the economy gets better. Guys have been running away from that job since the days of zeros. And then Ray kelly came along and ruined the job.
                        And your experience won't mean anything. Its all about the hook on otj. Capt or better. Take the ncpd and scpd on the island and the PAPD. Much better jobs with much better pay.
                        What do you mean by the days of zeros? And what do you mean "ruined the job"? And what are the NCPD and SCPD and PAPD? I'm not familiar with the acronyms.

Edit: I'm not being facetious, I honestly don't know.
                        Last edited by Mal; 02-03-2009, 09:40 PM.

Comment

I would NOT choose a military job field simply to "impress" someone - I've seen it backfire too many times. Someone thinks that a particular MOS will get them into a particular civilian job later on, but they end up not really enjoying the job, not having their heart in it, or sometimes just hating it outright. Being half-*****ed at something in the military because you don't like it isn't going to "impress" anyone, regardless of what the job is.

Pick something you truly want to do in the military and excel at it - don't pick something that you think will look good to someone else.
                          "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

I would suggest the men's department of the navy ... the Marine Corps!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11881 users online. 478 members and 11403 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X