300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Norfolk Southern

They are hiring in my area and I checked the old threads about salary but nobody gives figure. Thye just say that NS pays well or is comparable to local agencies. Does anyone know what the pay ranges (i.e. 35-40k, 50-60k) are for a special agent position with NS? Thanks.

As for the starting pay, Ive spoken with some guys who work out of Chicago and stated that the starting pay is around $52,000.
    Last edited by TBauer24; 01-31-2009, 10:54 PM.

Comment

Just went to their page and they're hiring in about 6 different cities. Isn't railroad retirement 30 years?

Comment

RR Retirement

Yes, it is 30 years and 60 years of age. You contribute to federal RR Retirement instead of Social Security. The retired guys I talk to say that it is well worth the wait. I still have about 31 years to go, so I don't know if I can wait that long. I will have about 35 years on when I hit 60!!!

Comment

RR pay

I believe that all the class 1 railroads start off their officers at least $50K a year, depending on experience.

Comment

For those of you that applied have you heard anything?

Comment

Originally posted by Asp1214 View Post
              For those of you that applied have you heard anything?
              I applied for two and got canned from both of them because I wasn't state certified in the states I applied for. Got the emails pretty quickly.....

I was hoping that they would take me because I was state certified and experienced....and let me do the lateral with the state.....but they only wanted folks from that state......

Comment

Im Guessing

Im guessing its because of the economic times everyone is currently in. Why pay to certify someone when they can easily find qualified applicants in that particular state. Just my .02.

Comment

they will certify you, you really shouldn't go through they're website. it's better to go through that department directly. i've been seeing NS hiring non certified applicants a lot lately.

Comment

Well....I applied on line like I was supposed to for the PA and VA areas.....and got an email saying thanks but they are looking for State Certified Officers already and that even though I am MO Certified....they weren't going to bother with it this time around..... Thanks for playing ditty....and apply again if you see something that you are quailified for in MO.....

So.....

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo18b View Post
                      they will certify you, you really shouldn't go through they're website. it's better to go through that department directly. i've been seeing NS hiring non certified applicants a lot lately.
                      NS is not hiring uncertified officers.
                      I don't answer recruitment messages....

Comment

NS does hire uncertified applicants, i've never heard of a uncertified officer. Bearcat if you are interested in chicago let me know. NS has taken out of state certification. it doesn't matter what state you are certified in since you work on private property (i.e. rail line) and under Section 1704 of the U.S. Crime Control Act of 1990 it clearly states that, why do you think it's possible for RR police to go to different states where there is an indecent on their track or in the yard. contact the department directly.

Comment

Job Description:

Norfolk Southern Corporation, a multi-billion dollar transportation company, is currently seeking a Police Officer to work in the Chicago, Illinois area.

POLICE OFFICER

Candidates are required to be certified in the state of Illinois or possess other transferable certification. You must be at least 21 years of age, willing to work various shifts (both inside & out), have good vision, be in good health, have own means of transportation and phone, and willing to reside in the area. Candidates who have public police officer experience are preferred, as well as those who possess an Associate or Bachelor degree in Police Science or Criminal Justice.

As an industry leader, Norfolk Southern offers a salary commensurate with education and experience. The successful candidate will be eligible for a bonus and an excellent benefits package which includes medical, dental, life insurance, 401(k), retirement and tuition reimbursement.

For immediate consideration, apply online today. Special Agent- Chicago

Norfolk Southern
                          EOE

The job posting says it all. You must be certified to be considered. They take certified applicants from other states, but when you transfer from another state you must be able to meet the state standards that you work and reside in. You will then be required to take that states exam to get that states certification. Once you work for the railroad you can work anywhere in the system because of the way federal law works.
                          Last edited by TBauer24; 02-07-2009, 01:12 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Voodoo18b View Post
                            NS does hire uncertified applicants, i've never heard of a uncertified officer. Bearcat if you are interested in chicago let me know. NS has taken out of state certification. it doesn't matter what state you are certified in since you work on private property (i.e. rail line) and under Section 1704 of the U.S. Crime Control Act of 1990 it clearly states that, why do you think it's possible for RR police to go to different states where there is an indecent on their track or in the yard. contact the department directly.
                            Dude...no offense....but....

A. The annoucement clearly states they aren't wanting to hire folks that are certified out of state....

B. I don't want IL....

C. Unless you are in HR with NSCorp....or a VP....I seriously doubt you can get folks jobs....

It is what it is. Why would they say one thing....then do the exact opposite...??

Comment

This seems like an interesting position. Are the duties primarily investigative or patrol? Do Norfolk’s SA’s wear plain clothes or a uniform? Are you issued a take home vehicle? If so is it unmarked or marked? Does anyone have a better idea of what the salaries are other than what has already been posted? I have a good LE job right now and I don't want to get involved in an application process without having all the details first.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11250 users online. 460 members and 10790 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X