Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone in Federal Law Enforcement, or anyone who has any knowledge of LE Careers

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone in Federal Law Enforcement, or anyone who has any knowledge of LE Careers

I am a Junior In highschool. I Am currently doing Dual Enrollment classes, and will be starting Full time in College during my Senior year in Highschool...
    But none of that matters too terribly much.

I have been reading responses to other people's posts about what to major in, but I still have no clue. My Goals are basically as follows in reguards to career...
    1) Graduate with Degree
    2) Work in Local Law Enforcement for 3-ish years
    3) Apply to Federal Law Enforcement (which Agency is not known)...

To work for my local police officers, no college is required, but is to work Federal. Most people have been saying that Criminal Justice Degrees aren't worth very much, given that 95% of applicants have this degree. I was thinking majoring in Cyber Forensics, and minoring in Forensic Chemistry... But would either of these be helpful in becoming a Special Agent? And If so, Would I be placed in a specialized unit without choice (Like FBI's CyberCrimes unit)?
    Any help is appreciated

I am a current federal agent (ICE). You are making a good move by planning on going to college. Although it isn't technically required by many local/state agencies, it will help your application stand out. I am against people who say that a CJ degree isn't worth much. It demonstrates interest in LE, will help you make contacts with people in LE, and many of your professors may be ex-LEO which make for good references and people to get career advice from. I don't think major is all that crucial, if you have good grades and get some good LE-related experience while in college (reserves, auxies or internship) you will be fine. College is all about learning how to learn, not so much learning specific knowledge that you will retain. A degree in any major shows committment and perseverance.

If you are interested in computer forensics, by all means that is a good major to have. As is accounting, business, English, any science, any foreign language.

As far as the FBI, I don't believe your skills bear any relation to your initial office/group assignment. You could be a Mandarin Chinese speaker assigned to work public corruption as I understand it.
    Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Originally posted by Ppap13 View Post
      I am a Junior In highschool. I Am currently doing Dual Enrollment classes, and will be starting Full time in College during my Senior year in Highschool...
      But none of that matters too terribly much.

I have been reading responses to other people's posts about what to major in, but I still have no clue. My Goals are basically as follows in reguards to career...
      1) Graduate with Degree
      2) Work in Local Law Enforcement for 3-ish years
      3) Apply to Federal Law Enforcement (which Agency is not known)...

To work for my local police officers, no college is required, but is to work Federal. Most people have been saying that Criminal Justice Degrees aren't worth very much, given that 95% of applicants have this degree. I was thinking majoring in Cyber Forensics, and minoring in Forensic Chemistry... But would either of these be helpful in becoming a Special Agent? And If so, Would I be placed in a specialized unit without choice (Like FBI's CyberCrimes unit)?
      Any help is appreciated
      Not a fed just yet, almost, but I am a state LEO. I would steer clear of CJ if I had it to do over again. Not because I think it is worthless or anything, but because other degrees are worth more.

If you are planning on getting into local LE, then what you major in is less important because your experience is going to carry you more than your education.

With that said, I would major in Accounting if I were in your shoes today. With an accounting background and 3 good years of LE experience, I think you would be in the most competitive position, and that goes for almost any agency.

Another great one would be international studies/affairs/relations.

I was told personally by the FBI AC that I should think about obtaining a masters in IA. Take that for what it is worth.

All that said, I should be a USSS agent very soon and I majored in CJ.....go figure.

Comment

Congratulations for Joining USSS. Thanks for the responses...

Comment

If you want to be a criminal investigator (special agent) major in accounting or computer science. But only major in these areas of study if you really like them. These two majors are sought after in jobs that do a lot of investigations. Often many federal law enforcement agencies will hire you right after you graduate with no experience if you have a 3.7 gpa or higher. I don't agree with that policy but it is what it is. Study hard whatever you decide to major in and stay out of trouble. Good luck.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10977 users online. 480 members and 10497 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X