Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

current or former 0080

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • current or former 0080

    Was wondering if you would not mind posting a short day to day OTJ? I am just curious of exactly what it may consist of. I know what I have read and what the job is perceived to be like, but I want someone else’s perspective.
    Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by superninjap3 View Post
    Was wondering if you would not mind posting a short day to day OTJ? I am just curious of exactly what it may consist of. I know what I have read and what the job is perceived to be like, but I want someone else’s perspective.
    Thanks
    Errr....you're going to have to be more agency specific.....as there are a ton of folks classified as 0080 and do totaly different jobs....

    Such jobs could be: Contract Administrators/COTRS (some armed and some not....depending on the agency), Physical Security (some armed/some not), Force Protection/Anti-Terrorism (some armed/some not), Personnel, LESOs and K-9 with FPS (armed of course), Executive Protection (armed), EP Drivers (armed), COMSEC, Disclosure, Security Officers for Organizations, Police Chiefs for the VA(armed of course), etc.....

    And yes, I am sure that I am missing some.......

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
      Errr....you're going to have to be more agency specific.....as there are a ton of folks classified as 0080 and do totaly different jobs....

      Such jobs could be: Contract Administrators/COTRS (some armed and some not....depending on the agency), Physical Security (some armed/some not), Force Protection/Anti-Terrorism (some armed/some not), Personnel, LESOs and K-9 with FPS (armed of course), Executive Protection (armed), EP Drivers (armed), COMSEC, Disclosure, Security Officers for Organizations, Police Chiefs for the VA(armed of course), etc.....

      And yes, I am sure that I am missing some.......
      lol sorry how about Physical Security Inspector

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by superninjap3 View Post
        lol sorry how about Physical Security Inspector
        Once again....which agency...? Even the PSI folks are different from agency to agency......

        Some might be assigned doing COTR stuff, some might be doing inspections of buildings/ammo points/motorpools/armsrooms/TOCs/Commo Areas, some might be doing pre/post construction inspections.....They might be assigned to COMSEC security.....

        Once again, just depends on the agencies mission.....submissions...and all that...

        Comment


        • #5
          Oops, sorry Bearcat I read your first response wrong. Ok, from the top, Homeland Security--LESO--FPS--Inspector. There we go, that should be in the ball park at least.

          Comment


          • #6
            And as long as the thread started out kinda "generic," how about Navy? There are two vacancies listed not too far from me. One is at an air station, the other I'm pretty sure is at a company with DoN contracts.

            Something tells me the daily activities at those might be more than a little different from each other.
            --
            Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by superninjap3 View Post
              Oops, sorry Bearcat I read your first response wrong. Ok, from the top, Homeland Security--LESO--FPS--Inspector. There we go, that should be in the ball park at least.
              I PM'd two of the FPS guys on here to answer this. I haven't worked around FPS in over a year....and my info could be off.....

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by RR_Security View Post
                And as long as the thread started out kinda "generic," how about Navy? There are two vacancies listed not too far from me. One is at an air station, the other I'm pretty sure is at a company with DoN contracts.

                Something tells me the daily activities at those might be more than a little different from each other.
                Errr....the only two open Navy ones I saw were in Hawaii and Bahrain.....

                The others are positions that the Navy (for some damn reason) will do year open annoucements for different bases......and if they need to fill a slot, they look to see who has applied and go from there.....

                As for the Navy....just like the Army and what I stated above....it could be PerSec, Physical, COMSEC, Crime Prevention (kinda a Navy only thing), Alarm systems, etc.....

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Bearcat357 View Post
                  I PM'd two of the FPS guys on here to answer this. I haven't worked around FPS in over a year....and my info could be off.....
                  Thanks, I am eager to hear what they say.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by ten08
                    is an 0080 an LEO?
                    They can be. Actually, ANY OPM Series can carry a weapon and have arrest powers.....Just have to get them from somewhere....

                    Most of the times it comes from Special US Marshal Deputization....

                    I have seen DOJ/DHS/Dept of VA/Dept. of Commerce/Dept of Trans/Dept. of AG/and a few others have 0080 positions open for Executive Protection....that were Special Deputized. Commerce even covers their folks under 6c retirement.....

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by superninjap3 View Post
                      Was wondering if you would not mind posting a short day to day OTJ? I am just curious of exactly what it may consist of. I know what I have read and what the job is perceived to be like, but I want someone else’s perspective.
                      Thanks
                      In short, FPS LESO's are uniformed law enforcement officers who specialize in Physical Security of Federal buildings and installations. They are responsible for the security assessments on assigned buildings and help determine security measures, inspect security guards, meet with building security committee's, etc.. They have to have knowledge in security systems, such as magnatometers, video monitoring systems, key card security measures, etc. Their days consist of handling the number of buildings assigned and investigate crimes committed and complete investigations, make arrests, write incident reports, etc.. It simply combines police officer with a Security specialist.
                      God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by ten08
                        Within the VA officers are 0083 but supervisors (Chiefs) are 0080. That is a problem with my HR 218 Status, is an 0080 an LEO?
                        0080 is a law enforcement officer depending on which agency they work for. In FPS, 0080 LESO's are law enforcement officers and derive their authority under Title 40-1315.
                        God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FPS1588 View Post
                          It simply combines police officer with a Security specialist.
                          I would toss in that some places are a lot busier than others. I know from working with FPS in DC, the 0080s were not only doing their inpsections/surveys but humping calls....a lot of calls.

                          Hell, they had a couple of Inspector's driving their paddy wagon (at one time) because they were so down on folks.....

                          I went to a conference in the Midwest and bumped into a couple of Inspector's and they hadn't been in uniform in years....and hadn't taken a call for service in years.....due to the fact they were in a area that didn't have a lot of buildings and an area that didn't have a lot going on.....

                          And yes, they were planning on retiring there because of that and not really wanting to move on....

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 7920 users online. 373 members and 7547 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X