300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• interested in st. lucie PD

Hi im just now gaining an interest in becoming a cop. I was wondering if any one knows how hard it is to get into st lucie county?
    Any response is greatly appreciated thank you in advance!

ST Lucie Police Department is currently hiring Police Officers. You can see the vacancy here: http://www.cityofpsl.com/hr/pdf/Police_Officer.pdf

Do you meet the minimum qualifications of becoming a Police Officer? What's your background like?

I see you are located in FT. Lauderdale, FL. Why St Lucie? FT Lauderdale Police is on a hiring frenzy right now, so is almost every department in Broward County.

This forum has a great search feature, and also has a sub-forum for every state. Do some reading, and research online more about different agencies and become a Police Officer.

Comment

I was going to go for city of FT. Lauderdale. But I'm most likely moving to st. lucie and i don't know im up for that drive everyday.

Comment

Ok. How old are you, and what is your education like? Would you like to put yourself through an academy, or be sponsored? If you want to be sponsored, you need to be looking at South Florida, Central Florida, Southwest Florida, and Jacksonville. All depending on your age, experience, and education.

Comment

I am 20 yrs old. I dropped out of school which i highly regret now as everyone said i would. I did obtain my high school diploma through a course i took. As for the academy i would definately rather be sponsored but if it takes my going through personally i don't mind either.

Comment

Alright. As you may know, some departments will take you at 19, 20, or 21. Majority up north is 21. Luckily for you, South Florida, and ST. Lucie will take someone at 19.

If you want the freedom of applying anywhere you want, without having to lock into someplace for couple of years. You can self-sponsor. Financial aid will cover most of your tuition, if you are eligible.

Some hints of advice. Read this forum, and research everything. Work on your grammar, spelling, and punctuation. As those skills are very important in this field. Get physically fit, and take some college courses while you are waiting.

I would recommend self-sponsoring, and taking some Criminal Justice courses. Most academies will grant you 27 credits for completing their course. If you add credits unto that, you can accelerate yourself an A.S./A.A.S degree in Criminal Justice Technology.

For more information on FDLE Approved Criminal Justice Training Centers, visit their website here: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/tra...g_centers.html

For information on Becoming an Officer, and the requirements per F.S.S 943.13, you can find out more here: http://www.fdle.state.fl.us/cjst/off...nts/index.html

Good Luck!

Comment

Yea i know i need to work on grammar, and punctuation. As far as physical I've been workin on that for about two years.

THANK YOU!! I really appreciate the help

Comment

Originally posted by street_sweeper View Post
                Yea i know i need to work on grammar, and punctuation. As far as physical I've been workin on that for about two years.

THANK YOU!! I really appreciate the help
                No problem! Just remember, you need to make yourself a competitive applicant. There can be an agency with ten vacancies, and five-hundred applicants.

My advice? Military (Guard or Reserves), and a college degree. I am planning on the Coast Guard Reserves, while I'm pursuing my degree, and am self-sponsoring. To get in this field, you need to be competitive. I can't stress that enough.

Good Luck, and keep us all posted on your progress!

Comment

There are three agencies in St. Lucie county. St. Lucie SO, Port St. Lucie PD, and Fort Pierce PD.

Which agency are you referring to and what is your specific question?
                  sigpicRemember Daniel Faulkner...

Comment

Originally posted by street_sweeper View Post
                    I am 20 yrs old. I dropped out of school which i highly regret now as everyone said i would. I did obtain my high school diploma through a course i took. As for the academy i would definately rather be sponsored but if it takes my going through personally i don't mind either.

If I've read this thread right, you are a 20 year old HS dropout with writing and physical fitness issues. If that's an accurate picture I can tell you this....there will be no sponsorship and your chances of getting a job at all are slim and none. I am not trying to be harsh, but I'd rather give you accurate information than blow sunshine.

If you get your GED or diploma, you could try corrections with the SO, but hiring in this economy is very tight. You are young enough to make yourself competitive. Finish HS, get some quality work experience, take a few college classes THEN go to the academy. Military may be a good option if you are so inclined.

I can tell you that you don't meet the minimum requirements to get a position with any of the agencies in St. Lucie (or for that matter most) county. Keep in mind...there are minimum requirements and competitive requirements. Once you accomplish the mins, you need to make yourself as attractive to the agency as you can. Be prepared to answer why you dropped out as that is likely to be a red flag on the BI.

Good luck. It's a great career and there are excellent agencies in St. Lucie...I work at one of them.

PM if you have other questions...

Chunk

***********EDIT: I see on a reread that you finished your HS diploma. Good. Keep rolling and building your resume.***********
                    Last edited by chunk; 01-28-2009, 01:39 AM.
                    sigpicRemember Daniel Faulkner...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6726 users online. 292 members and 6434 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X