Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I work in Grand Forks Sector.. not as BP but deputy in border county.. anyways Border Patrol Agents hear are mostly bored 24/7 and follow us around to calls so they have something to do. Sector here they have had no calls since Dec 13th to date.. Feb 1... They have hourly status checks so they are required to wake up every hour... some just find a spot that nobody can get to and they sleep... And they can't perform traffic stops unless they see some buddy run border which never happens, only way they can do anything is if a Deputy gives them permission on radio, or they get a border related call.. And yet they still want to double there force in the sector.. LOL... Bureaucracy in action

but I guess they pay good
    "What the problem is?"

Comment

I am not a Border Patrol Agent, but I did sleep at a Holiday Inn Express last night ...

Actually, I have had the opportunity in my career to work with BPA's on both the southern and now the northern border. I agree with the sentiments mentioned by Brandon as far as how the "old guys" who had to wait for years to get up there regard the "new guys" who are getting to go right out of the academy. I have yet to meet anyone up here who is that new, but there are some who were only on for a year or so before moving north. If you don't mind being thought of that way, no big deal I guess. Though I can't imagine that NOT having served on the southern border will ever help you if you want to get promoted and have to compete with guys who have BT/DT down there, but that will surely be part of the tradeoff for getting a plum duty station fresh out of the academy.

I do think a lot of the new guys I've met up here feel that they are somehow "missing out" on some things because of the difference in enforcement tempo between the north and south. Something to consider if you're one of those people who get into law enforcement for the "action."

My personal opinion, part of what makes BP agents so special and so experienced is what they get on the busy southern border. I'm not so sure I'd want to give that up in order to get a great duty station right off the bat. Yeah, the agency is allowing people to do it, but I think that's mainly a recruiting decision - not one made based on enhancing an agent's experience level.

Also, I think the thing that makes former BP agents so sought after in federal law enforcement is the massive amount of experience they get, and I don't think you'll get that up north: you'll probably get some (unless you're in Bottineau, ND ), but I doubt as much as the guys in almost any southern border station. Just food for thought.

But of course, you have to do what you have to do, especially if duty location is a deal-breaker for the family unit. Sometimes you just have to give up career opportunities for the good of those you care about, which is why many people take jobs they might not be ecstatic about, to begin with.

As I said, though, I am not a BP Agent - these are just personal reflections from working with them over the years.
      "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

I applied for both the SW border and Houlton, ME sector, have the test 2/24

I honestly wouldn't mind 'paying my dues' in the SW, but if I can get into Maine after 15 months that is preferable from a family standpoint than being on the SW border and never being able to transfer.

How popular is the Houlton sector among applicants and transferees?

Comment

Originally posted by mcdoogs View Post
          I applied for both the SW border and Houlton, ME sector, have the test 2/24

I honestly wouldn't mind 'paying my dues' in the SW, but if I can get into Maine after 15 months that is preferable from a family standpoint than being on the SW border and never being able to transfer.

How popular is the Houlton sector among applicants and transferees?
          Well for those in Maine it's very popular. The testing dates were all filled up as soon as the announcement came out.

Comment

I switched from NM to Spokane Sector. I understand being an FNG at NB may be a bit unfair to some of the guys who have served. I don't make the rules, but if they aren't VRPing these days, I'm happy to be going to the snowy NW 'early'. Though some of us haven't been BP for 10 years, many of us have extensive experience in military, etc. Personally, I am excited at the option of ONLY a 50 hour week so I can spend some time with my (newborn) family. Good luck to all, SB & NB.
            trainee

Comment

Though some of us haven't been BP for 10 years, many of us have extensive experience in military, etc.
              I'm sure it's a good gig if you can get it, but I was talking about being inexperienced as far as actually BEING a Border Patrol Agent - if you only serve on the NB, I think you'll miss a lot of the experience that's gained down South, and military experience is vastly different from federal law enforcement. But like I said, if they're allowing it, go for it.
              "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

I think it is safe to say that people who want to go to the NB right off the bat are looking at the job in a very different manner than those of us who have moved across the country to our permanent duty station. You have to have different goals as far as what you want to do on the job if you are going to the NB a couple of months after the academy. They are not going to be doing much title 21 or making many aps but they are closer to home and they do not have to deal with living around the southern border. Each to his or her own but I think it is safe to say they will be viewed differently by those who work on the southern border. I wish them all the best of luck regardless of where they work.
                Last edited by SHU; 02-16-2009, 10:34 PM. Reason: n

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6078 users online. 206 members and 5872 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X