Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Border Patrol Agent - NB Take 2

Hey Guys,

I already know there is a BPA thread open, but I would like this one specified to those applying for the Northern Border. That way us NB applicants don't have to go on a hunt for information.

Anyone applied for this new announcement? I have compressed testing in Orlando, FL on Feb 14. Geo Preference: Buffalo, NY

I have compressed testing February 10 in Buffalo, NY.
    Geographic Preference: Buffalo Sector
    ---------------------------------------------------

Comment

Drew, are you from Buffalo? I was looking at the notice, it states 15 months down at SB is required (10 months after training is completed) before transferring back to the NB. Is that accurate?

Comment

Yes, I'm from the Buffalo area.

Yes, it is 15 months on the SB and then you are transferred to your NB station

Comment

went to college up near you. you a sabres fan? duff's fan?

Comment

Is there a current opening for the Northern Border? I am scheduled to take the exam in mid February in Buffalo but was only allowed to select Texas, Arizona or California during the online application.

Comment

Originally posted by slami View Post
              Is there a current opening for the Northern Border? I am scheduled to take the exam in mid February in Buffalo but was only allowed to select Texas, Arizona or California during the online application.

Yes, if you go a little into the new application it will have a screen where you can select the NB sector you would like to apply for.

Comment

Originally posted by 500pearl View Post
                went to college up near you. you a sabres fan? duff's fan?

I went to Canisius.

Love the Sabres, but believe it or not, I've never been to Duff's go figure lol.

Comment

Originally posted by audi0xpl0de View Post
                  Yes, if you go a little into the new application it will have a screen where you can select the NB sector you would like to apply for.
                  Thank you, sir. This is fantastic since I much prefer the Northern Border to the Southern Border.

Off topic - is Duff's the one on Sheridan Dr.? I think I pass it every time I go to the car dealer and have yet to stop by, but I hear amazing things about their wings.

Comment

Anyone venture to guess what the most sought after NB Sectors will be? Im guessing Buffalo, Blaine and Spokane will be the top three in which applicants choose.

Comment

Heads up

There is considerable angst expressed from many senior agents who have wanted to go north for several years against this program that sends nuggets up there almost immediately. For years, the NB has been thought of as a privilege that salty dogs can put in for in order to spend the waning days of their career in (for most NB stations) a quieter, less stressful environment near their hometowns.

The source of the contention lies in the fact that the last process for tranferring agents north ran into trouble with the union, which believed that it was an unfair process. Consequently, the administration has gone over the head of the union, and has now (apparently) pulled the option for moves north for senior agents at least for the foreseeable future. These NB stations are not undermanned for lack of agents' interest in transferring there (except stations in Maine, Montana, and North Dakota), but rather for lack of agreement on how the transfers can be accomplished (funded). There are many agents stuck on the SB who want to get back home to the NB for a variety of reasons. Many of these agents will be your instructors at the academy and your FTOs and Journeymen if you eventually get back to your station. Despite what you may hear elsewhere, the academy and the post-academy training is no joke. My class suffered nearly 50% attrition at the academy, and several more have been fired/quit since getting back to their stations. If you put in for a NB slot and get selected for the position, you will have a target on your back during your entire time down here and I can assure you that your experience will be even more miserable than the average nugget. Good luck nonetheless. No one can blame you for your choices, I'm just giving you a heads up for the potential consequences should you choose to shirk what many agents believe is your necessary time (several years) on the line (SB).
                      Last edited by brandonthelaw; 02-15-2009, 09:07 PM.

Comment

Nb

I took the test, and passed, back in October. I had the oral board and medical scheduled, but due to family reasons, I had to back out.
                        But now with those issues resolved, and the NB option, I re-applied and I'm starting the process over, with the exception of the test obviously.

Oh, and I applied for Grand Forks Sector, and I'm hoping to get one specific station there.

Comment

I'm also in the FTU on the SW Border and I agree with most of what you are saying but I say let them go. If anybody is applying to the patrol and they want to be close to there home and they have the chance to do it with this program I say let them go. I don't want anything to do with the northern border and I'd probably quit if I had to go there but I don't think anybody should hold it against them for going there but some probably will. But even if you are not going to the northern border people are still going to treat you like crap so go ahead and do it if you want the cold. But I strongly suspect that the agents up on the northern border will probably treat them even worse than the agents training them on the southern border for quite some time.
                          And in my sector, a PAIC told some of my fellow trainees that when they were finished with their probationary period he would not stand in their way as far as a unpaid move to the northern border.
                          Last edited by SHU; 02-16-2009, 10:35 PM. Reason: j

Comment

But SHU, the experience you gain in the next 18 months is more than most NB trainees will see in their entire career. Especially at your station, with the checkpoints and the large area and terrain we cover.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                              But SHU, the experience you gain in the next 18 months is more than most NB trainees will see in their entire career. Especially at your station, with the checkpoints and the large area and terrain we cover.
                              I totally agree with you. They will not have the opportunity to learn the job in the same way a agent would around here. In one month a journeyman agent at my station probably does the same amount of aps that the average agent on the NB does in a couple of years. But a lot of these guys who want to go up north, if they can't go, they will probably quit. And most people I know do not want to go up there but that maybe different in other sectors. I don't have a answer to it. All I know is I like where I'm at and I would start looking for another position if they forced me to go up there. I suspect many of the agents in the sector we work in feel the same way but I know some do not. I've had enough cold weather in my life. But I would not stand in the way of anybody who wants to go home. I do know that PA take home pay goes a lot farther up north but its still not worth it to me. Money is not everything. I'd rather spend my days off at the beach.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8066 users online. 378 members and 7688 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X