Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what law enforcement job has the most action?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Join the National Guard. Have them put you through college, while you simultaneously earn military experience. It'll make you a much better applicant in this competitive field, and it'll gain you some serious life experience.

Don't expect anyone to be easy on you. You came on our forum and disrespected our career choices, by the way you speak of it. Bad first impression.

Comment

A local LE agency in a large inner city will give you more action than you can stand. As far as federal LE no other agency, state local or federal, arrests more people than the Patrol. Honorfirst. But from reading your post I think you should go to college and live life a bit before you consider any job in LE.
      Good Luck

Comment

i know it sounds cliche but thank you all for your responses.

Comment

Originally posted by claymoreman View Post
          yeah i dont know i mean i love justice and want to put away "bad guys" and the whole respect and power thing is what i love and i would love to put drug dealers and mobsters away for life but i also want to just be somewhere that isnt a war zone cause i dont want my leg or arms or head off! lol plus i want to go to college.
          First off many in the military go to college while in the military, plus its 100% paid for and you don't even have to touch your GI Bill. The military has MPs who put away bad guys, sometimes. NO ONE wants to get their leg or arms or head blown off, but its the same as LE, sometimes s--t happens. You are definately no safer putting away drug dealers and mobsters that you would be in the military. The military will force you to grow up a lot, I would recommend to everyone. If you want to put drug dealers and mobsters away for life then you need to be a prosecuting attorney. LE just puts them away, they sometimes get out, and sometimes get just a slap on the wrist for major crimes. If you want to make sure they go away for a long time become an attorney and apply to become a federal prosecutor.

Comment

I agree with all the other posters when they say Military, college then LE. If I was to do it all again, I would have done 20 years in the USMC, then move on to a federal LE job for another 20. I went in the Corps when I was 18 and if I retired after 20 years, I would have been 38, still young enough to hook up with an agency and do another 20. When all is said and done, I would be 58, collecting 2 pensions and enjoying my free time. Just my opinion.
            You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!!

Comment

He said FBI and action in the same post....

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                He does stand-up comedy!

No wait, nvm.. I found him.

Comment

If action is what you seek, then go see your local Army recruiter. PLENTY of action in Afghanistan. Trust me on that. Lots of bad guys, you'll love it.

Comment

Originally posted by madchiken View Post
                    dont get my hopes down tell me they get atleast some action!

Comment

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
                      Not to be a pain, you would have been over the 37 cut off age for most federal agencies...but I know what you are saying and I agree
                      It is my understanding that if you served in the armed forces, military time can be subtracted. Maybe not in all agencies. I know of a Gunny that retired after 20 years and just started in the UD.
                      You can pay for school, but you can't buy class!!

Comment

You can apply for the FBI for the next 20 years, but it wont do you any good unless you have a "critical" college degree. So keep your hopes up, you have plenty of time to figure out were the action is why your in school.

Comment

Originally posted by jb5722
                          if you want some serious action, and to go some place where they will transform you from the clown you likely are now, into a man who has a good chance of getting hired as an 1811, i'd recommend going into the Marine Corp. you'll get plenty of action there, and when you come out, you wont be saying ridiculous crap like "the action is the juice". if your motivation to become a law enforcement officer stems from the fact that you will have power over other people, and you think that will give you respect, then you have no business in law enforcement. you shouldn't need to go to depend on other people's feelings toward you to prove to yourself that you are worthy of respect. I recommend you read Ralph Waldo Emerson's essay "Self Reliance", that will teach you the proper attitude to take.
                          Wow! C'mon, give the kid a break. He is still "starry eyed." I think we all had the same misconceptions based on watching too many movies back when we were kids. Of course, most of us would not have dared to utter the words, "The action is the juice" or (one of my personal favorites) "I love justice." The only difference between this kid and us is 15 or 20 years of experience, immediate access to hundreds of misleading cop movies, and a lack of understanding that the majority of that stuff is BS.

For me, "the action" makes me pick apart everything I did wrong and thank God that the other person didn't take advantage of whatever tactical flaw I identified during my mental review. So honestly, "the action" is kind of a pain in my A##.

Comment

critical skills

Regardless if you want to apply for the FBI or not, the FBI has a list of critical skills that come in handy and would of great value to you. Take a look at the list and set forth to obtaining one or two of the skills. Since you will be attending college soon, working your way up to 300 or even 400 level language courses would be convenient. As far as which language to learn, read my prior post for my opinion, watch the news, be weary of the international politics and state of affairs.
                            For detailed explanations of critical skills refer to:
                            http://www.fbijobs.gov/1112.asp

Comment

Claymore,

This is serious advice. I'm not going to make fun of you right now.

1. Be a good person. Don't lie or steal. Be loyal to your friends and be a good employee. This has two benefits: You won't be thought of as a dirtbag AND you will be able to fill out a background investigation form without having to remember who you ****ed off or owe money to or cheated with their girlfriend. Don't be dirtbag. Stay off the damn drugs. If you have already experimented, don't do it again.

2. Finish college, go in the military or preferably BOTH.

3. Talk to as many different cops as you can and ASK them what they like and don't like about the job. Try to find out what it really is that they do.

**Do not TELL them anything about what you think about law enforcement or they will laugh at you and mess with you. Everything you know about being a cop came from movies. Try to learn stuff from actual cops. Go on ride alongs. Talk to your high school police officers. Seriously try to understand the ups and downs of being a cop. I can tell you that there is no cop that likes his/her job solely for the action. They like the feeling of making a difference and they like being "the good guy." Sure, they probably like a little action now and then, but that equates to about 1% of the job.

If all this stuff seems like too much, then you probably don't have the level of commitment necessary to be law enforcement. If so, maybe come back and revisit it in a few years. I know that seems like a long time, but trust me, it won't seem like that long as the years go by. You won't be a real contender for an LE job until you are 22 or so anyway.

Seriously evaluate your goals here. If you want to beat people up or get in shoot outs, you are going to be a bad cop. But, you would probably be an awesome Marine. If you don't want to be a Marine, then you probably don't like the action as much as you think you do.

Comment

Just FYI, "the action is the juice" is a quote from the Michael Mann movie "Heat."
                                Last edited by Another JD; 01-29-2009, 10:19 PM.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7416 users online. 225 members and 7191 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                                X