300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CBP Officer vs Border Patrol officer?

I read a lot about how CBP officers are not enjoing their jobs, is that happening too with Border Patrol agents? or their working conditions or managment are better?

BP is more traditional LE work. Depending on where you work can be very high speed. We have several BPA's on the site. PM some of those guys and they can give you more detail on the Patrol.
    Don't tase me bro!!

Comment

Why PM, then no one else learns...

Comment

Originally posted by ESCARLATA View Post
        I read a lot about how CBP officers are not enjoing their jobs, is that happening too with Border Patrol agents? or their working conditions or managment are better?
        It is what you make it! I'm a CBPO and love my job! You're always going to have some folks not enjoying what they do.

Comment

Originally posted by mi562 View Post
          It is what you make it! I'm a CBPO and love my job! You're always going to have some folks not enjoying what they do.
          +1

Sure, CBP could be better, but it's been moving in the right direction lately. Things are much brighter than they used to be, say 3 years ago.

I've noticed that a lot of the folks who dump on CBP are folks that don't seem to fit in anywhere. They're the kind of people that if they were to be given a big box of gold ingots as a gift, they'd moan about the weight.

Comment

You should pick whichever job you are most interested in. Of the two, Border Patrol is most like conventional LE but it is still very different than being a cop. In the BP you get to do actual field work, including tracking people, jumping large groups of people in the darkness, traffic stops and their ensuing bailouts, etc. I really enjoy BP work, and I like to describe it as "adult hide and seek". Most Border Patrol stations have checkpoints as well, and checkpoint duty (at most stations) is not too bad as you have the opportunity to catch a lot of dope, hidden aliens, and fraud docs. I would say that BP checkpoint duty is somewhat similar to working CBP at a land border.

CBP officers work strictly at fixed ports of entry, but that can include land border POEs, airports, seaports, and mail facilities. I know that at the busy land border POEs like San Ysidro they catch a lot of dope and aliens, and that seems like that would be interesting work. I don't know if the seaport or mail facility thing would be my cup of tea, but you should ask someone on here who works for CBP to tell you more about those duties.

As far as pay goes, both jobs have a GS-11 journeyman level. The difference is in the way you are paid for overtime. Border patrol gets 25% AUO, and you will work 50 hours per week, but you are pretty much paid straight time for your AUO hours. CBP pays double time for OT I believe, but OT is not guaranteed. If you are at a busy port where OT is available you will probably make a little more as a CBP officer. Also, you will probably have a little more choices in duty stations with CBP.

I would recommend Border Patrol because I think the work is more enjoyable, however, I am sure there are others that would recommend CBP. IYou have to decide which job is more to your liking.

Comment

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
              Last edited by brandonthelaw; 02-15-2009, 09:12 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10116 users online. 380 members and 9736 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X