300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crime Scene Investigation

I need a little help guys. I've been applying for jobs in the crime scene area but I don't have any experience or certification. I have an associates in forensic science and I'm working on my bachelor's in criminal justice with an emphasis in crime scene investigation. Some departments want you to have experience or certification. I found a few that just want you to have an associates degree. I notice that Florida has a lot of openings right now for crime scene. I don't want to move too far away from my family; a lot is going on right now. I just lost my grandfather and my grandmother is having problems with my cousin and his father. They are trying to get everything that my grandmother has.

It's hard trying to get a job right now. Most of the agencies here in Georgia want you to have experience or certification. A lot of agencies are having hiring freezes according to a law enforcement academy director that I know. My only option would be to go through his academy as pre-service. He said he would help me get in; the out-of-pocket expenses are high. You have to pay for your uniforms and books; plus your background investigation and fingerprinting. That's a lot of money with the way things are right now. My only option would be to borrow the money, but I don't really want to do that. I would rather pay for it myself. I guess I will have to do what I have to do. I would like to use my degree. I went three years and I don't want to waste that time. It just seems really hard to get a job in crime scene investigation.

If anyone knows any departments that are hiring close to Georgia that would be helpful. Since I don't have experience it would have to be trainee positions or associate degree positions for the requirements.
    www.amyandwandasrants.blogspot.com

I had a collateral assignment in forensics when I was a non-sworn employee at a small department. Forensics can be a little boring unless you work at a higher-speed agency where you have continuous work. Otherwise you'll spend your time looking for prints on cold-burglaries.

http://www.crime-scene-investigator.net/employment.html

You may monitor that website and wait for openings.

Also consider membership in the IAI. http://www.theiai.org/

You may get inside info on openings that are otherwise difficult to find. I know of a few agencies in California that will hire persons with degrees and no experience, but you are often competing with those who do have experience. Hope that helps a little.

Montgomery, AL - http://www.crime-scene-investigator....-08-11-26.html Requirements: High school diploma or GED supplemented by completion of a certified fingerprint course from a law enforcement agency or professional identification association and 2 years of experience in latent fingerprint, 5 years experience in fingerprint classification comparison using the full Henry Classification System or an equivalent combination of education and experience.

Pembroke Pines, FL - http://www.crime-scene-investigator....-08-12-01.html Requirements: All applicants must provide proof of the following at time of Application:
    High School Diploma or GED; Two (2) years full time paid experience in fingerprint identification and classification and latent fingerprint examination.
    Must have completed the FBI Basic Latent Fingerprint School and the FBI Advanced Latent Fingerprint School or their equivalents.
    Must be or able to be qualified as an expert in the field of fingerprint comparisons by the courts and for the State of Florida.

Coral Springs, FL - http://www.crime-scene-investigator....-09-01-02.html Requirements: High school graduation or equivalent and one year related experience. Completion of a Fingerprint Comparison class required. Specialized CSI/Latent Education and I.A.I. LPE Certified prefered, but not required. Submit to Computerized Voice Stress Analysis (CVSA) and extensive background investigation. Practical test may be administered.
    Last edited by Blizzination; 01-27-2009, 01:04 PM.

Comment

I’m in the same boat as you are. I recently graduated from college with a bachelor’s degree and I have been rejected and/or not received a call back for five forensic positions. The reason every time is, “I do not have enough professional experience.” It is extremely frustrating. The only tip I can give you is to try to become a law enforcement officer. I became a jail deputy for a local Sheriff’s Dept. for some experience.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I'm going for an interview the first week of Feb. for a crime scene job. I apply to a lot of positions and I get a few interview invitations. I'm going to keep applying until I get something. Don't give up smith297.

Comment

Well...I went for my interview for crime scene tech. in Manatee Co. Fl. I didn't get the position. I'm pretty bummed out. This is a hard field to get into. I will just have to keep searching and applying. Anyone know of any openings that doesnt require experience please let me know.

Comment

Originally posted by alienbow View Post
            Well...I went for my interview for crime scene tech. in Manatee Co. Fl. I didn't get the position. I'm pretty bummed out. This is a hard field to get into. I will just have to keep searching and applying. Anyone know of any openings that doesnt require experience please let me know.
            Have you considered applying for a Police Officer/Deputy Sheriff position?Limiting yourself to Crime Scene Tech jobs might be self defeating right now. Quite possible that if you landed an Officer slot, or even a non-sworn position, you could transition into Crime Scene work later on.

Comment

Crime Scene Experience

Alienbow,

If you are willing to move I know you would get plenty of crime scene experience working up north with the Baltimore PD. I did 10 years there and was a detective for several of those years. With your education you would get hired and do some time on the street. You would have the chance to see how a crime scene is worked and talk with seasoned investigators and crime lab technicians. Then you could go to an agency of your choosing with that experience. The department also pays for your education 100% (yes that is correct) if you get an A or B. They also have a program with Johns Hopkins University to obtain a Master's Degree. Don't limit yourself by just looking at crime scene positions. Shoot me a pm if you have further questions or want additional advice.

Comment

Originally posted by BPD Once View Post
                Alienbow,

If you are willing to move I know you would get plenty of crime scene experience working up north with the Baltimore PD. I did 10 years there and was a detective for several of those years. With your education you would get hired and do some time on the street. You would have the chance to see how a crime scene is worked and talk with seasoned investigators and crime lab technicians. Then you could go to an agency of your choosing with that experience. The department also pays for your education 100% (yes that is correct) if you get an A or B. They also have a program with Johns Hopkins University to obtain a Master's Degree. Don't limit yourself by just looking at crime scene positions. Shoot me a pm if you have further questions or want additional advice.
                This is good advice if you don't mind being a patrol officer for a few years before going into crime scene. I did the same thing. For my department, crime scene was a commissioned detective position, so there was no way you could do it as a civilian. However, other departments have civilain crime scene positions. So, kinda depends on what you are willing to do.

Comment

There are great advices for you to follow here. I was a CSI Detective for 5 yrs before changing agencies. I started as a police officer and I did that job for 2yrs. During those years, I showed interest to my supervisors to become a CSI detective in the future. I met many detectives and all the aspects of the job while I was in uniformed patrol. One good morning my supervisor called me and gave me the news that I was being selected for Criminal Investigation course. I had an Associate Degree by that time but the 2 yrs was enough experience. You are treated better and have more seniority when they see you have street experience as a cop, trust me. Many of us here agreed that you might consider becoming a police officer first. Good luck and the best for you and your family.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6798 users online. 223 members and 6575 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X