X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• USA Jobs Resume Question

Hi,

Quick Question, sorry if I'm out of place. But:

How much "work experience" do you include on your USA Jobs Resume?

Do you go back 5 years; 10 years?

I am a recent college grad - I have a full time job now in the Travel Industry, but over the years I've had the typical summer & School Year Jobs (Lifeguard, Camp Councilor, Retail Store Associate etc.)

Another question, do you include Self Employment.

I run a small computer repair business on the side - I obviously pay taxes on it and believe it or not, I make more money from the computers than I do from my current full time job!

I don't want to make my resume too long, but at the same time, I don't want to say (or not) say something that may come back and spark question later.

What do you think? Thanks! :=)
    Last edited by paul354; 01-21-2009, 12:23 PM.

Originally posted by paul354 View Post
    Hi,

I am a recent college grad - I have a full time job now in the Travel Industry, but over the years I've had the typical summer & School Year Jobs (Lifeguard, Camp Councilor, Retail Store Associate etc.)

I run a small computer repair business on the side - I obviously pay taxes on it and believe it or not, I make more money from the computers than I do from my current full time job!

I don't want to make my resume too long, but at the same time, I don't want to say (or not) say something that may come back and spark question later.

It's a resume. You want to put your best foot forward.

Comment

You should tailor the resume for the job you're trying to get. It's not an SF-86, so work that doesn't apply in terms of experience could probably be left out. If you were in a leadership/management position I would leave it on, but stocking shelves as a summer job(which I did plenty of) is not something I would put on there. A resume coming right out of college may not be that impressive for some, in terms of work experience, but after a few years that will change.

Comment

Originally posted by paul354 View Post
        Hi,

I would avoid a putting a resume on the USA Jobs resume builder. You would be better off getting a Government resume professionally done PDF style and submitting it through the how to apply section.

As for the length of the resume. Most government style resumes are very thorough and require information you normally would never put on a standard or professional style resume which tend to make them 4 or 5 pages in length maybe longer.

I also would recommend 10 years back unless you have experience relevant to the job beyond that period.

Just a thought...

Good luck

Comment

+1 to KIDFIRE
          Government resumes also serve as an application AND in lieu of an intial interview-- alot of the time, agencies have to narrow applicants down to a "qualified" list, justify their selections, then decide who to interview... so the more info you include the better.
          That being said, does anyone have recommendations for professional resume writers?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 11960 users online. 474 members and 11486 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X