300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Detrimental Character Issues

I am just now beginning to take Police tests in my local area, but am beginning to wonder what type of character flaws or things I've done in the past can affect my chances of being hired. To be honest, my biggest concern is having bet on sports for the past few years. In anyone's experience or opinion, could this be a problem in being hired? Also, are there any other common practices that hinder employment? Sports gambling was the only one I could think of that applied to me, but I was curious if there were others that I have been guilty of that I did not think of.

Heavy handed. Ahole. Can't think w/o a drink. The list is endless but your involvement in organized crime could prove fatal if you were making your bets with a book maker. Associations with organized crime is usually looked down upon in law enforcement circles. Just a weeee bit.

Comment

Thanks for the reply....I wouldn't consider this organized crime though....just a local guy taking relatively small wagers ($50, $100) on his own...if that would still be a problem, would you recommend "leaving" that out of the application process or be up front about it....would a BI be able to check this out?? thanks again

Comment

Originally posted by ROSchwoe
        The fact you have to ask this brings your integrity into question, but that's another issue.

Tell the whole truth. Different departments have different standards, so if one department says "no", it's not uncommon for a different agency with different hiring standards to say "yes." However, I know of no agency that will accept an applicant once it's discovered they lied on a past application. The whole reason for the background investigation is to determine if applicants are lying or withholding information, so you do yourself a great disservice towards getting a job in this field if you choose to risk doing so.
        Agreed...

Stop all activity at once if you are serious about a career in LE. Most people have no clue how difficult it is to get hired in LE. There is a reason for that. They will find out everything. Stop any HINT of that kind of behavior, and NEVER lie or withhold information.

Comment

Typical auto-DQs would be for things like dishonesty or even the semblance of it; past behaviors/actions of moral turpitude; recent criminal activities or associations; etc...

In CA, P.O.S.T dictates hiring standards. There should be a similar set-up in your state. Check out CA standards here:

http://www.post.ca.gov/Hiring/Peace_...egulations.asp
          Focused Recruit

Comment

Well, all I will tell you is this. I have been hired by a state agency and will soon be hired by the USSS. And neither agency once inquired about gambling. Not saying that yours will not. But none of mine did.

Comment

I agree that any semblence of involvement should have been ceased yesterday. If asked, tell the truth and don't even think about omitting an answer. However, if not asked, I wouldn't volunteer it.

Comment

I don't think gambling will get you caught up unless it has caused major debt or bad credit. That's what background investigators are looking for. Debt and bad credit are major indicators of responsibility and if they feel that your gambling is causing you to be irresponsible then you will most likely be disqualified. In positions where you will be required to carry a TS/SCI clearance, investigators are concerned with whether or not your bad credit or debt will make you liable to blackmail. Hope that helps.

Comment

Do not leave things out!

Originally posted by MST120886 View Post
                  Thanks for the reply....I wouldn't consider this organized crime though....just a local guy taking relatively small wagers ($50, $100) on his own...if that would still be a problem, would you recommend "leaving" that out of the application process or be up front about it....would a BI be able to check this out?? thanks again
                  If these were legal bets, and you are not obcessed with it, you should not have a problem. But to be deceptive, and intentioally leave things out with be a big problem.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7166 users online. 206 members and 6960 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X