300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• government job advice

Hey I was wondering if anyone here had some advice for me I want to get into the secret service eventually... I'm 18 and have no police record, I've been pulled over once but it was for expired tags and I handled it the next day, I have never drank or done any drugs

I have decent grades a 3.5 and scored a 1720 on my sat and 26 on my act I don't if this matters

I am a three sport athlete I compete in football, track and feild and olympic weight lifting, I am currently 6'3" tall and weigh 230 pounds, again I don't know if any of this matters to you...

I guess I'm just need a little advice, should I get a cj degree? What do you guys think, would secret service be a good match for me?

Thanks for the advice man... and idk about standing around for hours but I have a long time to decide... but I really think I want that cj degree because I want to be in some sort of law enforcement and I figure it will help... what are your thatughts on lapd, I'm thinking of going to california lutheran university wich is 15 minutes from LA...

Comment

If you want to be a 1811 major in accounting, computer science or a something like Arabic studies. CJ is less than worthless. Your better off majoring in psychology or history than CJ.

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys... why is cj worthless. I'm very interested, I'm open to anything thanks guys

Comment

1811? Sorry I'm very new to some of these terms... what would you guys recomend? I really want to be in law enforcement Be it fbi, ice, usss, police, well police first but...

Comment

Thanks for your help man, I am very new to this

Comment

Originally posted by af7ermath View Post
              Thanks for the advice guys... why is cj worthless. I'm very interested, I'm open to anything thanks guys
              It is not that a CJ degree is worthless, however you will learn just about everything a CJ degree teaches you through being a police officer and the academy and advanced training you will receive. A degree no matter what it is is valuable. Get a degree in what interests you and if CJ interests you, then by all means go for it.
              God created some police officers perfect, the rest he put in cars.

Comment

I've posted this before but here it goes again.

Get a degree in one of the following:
                Accounting
                Engineering
                CIS/IT
                Nursing
                International Studies

Any of those degrees and you will never look for work very long. Now, if you want to be a LEO. Get one of the above degrees and go be a cop. Two-three years of that and you will coast through the hiring process. Providing that you keep your nose clean.

My story is more traditional. I got a CJ degree then did several years in the military. I'm about to be hired by the USSS. Just had my home visit yesterday. So TIFWIW

Comment

i double majored in CJ/Poli SCi and im in hiring processes for a few agencies.

i wouldnt say its worthless in the area of LE but yes its pretty worthless in other areas of work.

alot of agencies just require general college credits or a 4 year bachelors

Ive been noticing some fed jobs that are now requiring some grad school credits

Comment

I have a CIS degree and have been out in the corporate world for about 4 years now. I'm looking at getting into a federal job and have had zero bites and am looking into pursuing an MBA. Frustrating...

Comment

Thanks for all the advice... is there anything I can be doing right now? Should I get in touch with my local usss feild office?

Comment

Originally posted by Helo View Post
                        I have a CIS degree and have been out in the corporate world for about 4 years now. I'm looking at getting into a federal job and have had zero bites and am looking into pursuing an MBA. Frustrating...
                        HOw long have you been fishing? It takes a while to get these jobs.

Comment

Thanks for all the advice... is there anything I can be doing right now? Should I get in touch with my local usss feild office?
                          I am a current federal agent (ICE 1811). Because of their protection mission, the USSS is not the typical 1811 job. They also do investigations (bank fraud, identity theft, protective intelligence, etc.) but not as much as other 1811's. I know several current and ex-USSS SA's, and they all say it is a fun job for a while but it burns you out quick. There is a lot of travel and post-standing, which can be fun for a young person but not so much for a married w/ kids person. Many end up leaving after a few years. Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing USSS at all, it is a GREAT agency that is without a doubt the best in the world at personal protection.

If you really want the USSS, you should look into their student co-op program. Back when I was in college, if you got into the co-op, you were practically guaranteed a job upon graduation. The kicker back then was that they only offered the agent co-op position for colleges in the DC area.

My advice is basically to go to college and pick a major that interests you. Nothing wrong with CJ. Basically anything that keeps your interest and most importantly keeps your grades up. It is good to develop a skill like accounting or a foreign language, but it is not a necessity. I don't recommend picking a major just to get a specific job because if you aren't interested in the subject matter your grades will probably suffer.

Also stay out of trouble, no speeding tickets, no drug use, etc. All of that stuff will come out when you go through the background check and polygraph. Find something extracurricular to do (reserve police officer, volunteer fire/ems, etc.) while you are in school to build a resume and make contacts/references.
                          Before science, it was believed that autumn was caused by Chuck Norris simultaneously roundhouse kicking every tree on the planet.

Comment

Hey I was wondering if anyone here had some advice for me I want to get into the secret service eventually... I'm 18 and have no police record, I've been pulled over once but it was for expired tags and I handled it the next day, I have never drank or done any drugs

I have decent grades a 3.5 and scored a 1720 on my sat and 26 on my act I don't if this matters

I am a three sport athlete I compete in football, track and feild and olympic weight lifting, I am currently 6'3" tall and weigh 230 pounds, again I don't know if any of this matters to you...

I guess I'm just need a little advice, should I get a cj degree? What do you guys think, would secret service be a good match for me?
                            I think ICEAGENT hit the nail on the head. 1. Study want you want to study and develop a valuable skill on the side if you can. 2. Go for the co-op program or the USSS intern program. I interned with USSS and it was an awesome and very eye-opening experience; you will gain a better understanding about the agency. Last time I checked, the minimum age req. for the internship was 16. The co-op is even better if you can make it work. 3. Stay out of trouble.

Feel free to message me if you have any questions about USSS. I am now in training to become a SA with another agency.

Comment

OK saying a cj degree is worthless may have been a bit harsh but you see so many people with them it just sort loses its luster after a while. Arabic studies accounting and computer science will all make you a much more competitive applicant for a 1811 position. And while you say you want to be a USSS agent now, that may change down the road once you see what the job is all about. Major in something that will give you the most options down the road. And I stand behind the arabic studies degree. In the coming years knowledge of these animals will become a priority for all LE professionals. And accounting is extremely important in almost all long term investigations. Follow the money and you will find the crime.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5945 users online. 222 members and 5723 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X