300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on applying...

I am currently filling out the Secret Service app and when it asks about your past criminal history I am not sure what to put. When I was a freshman in college I was charged with being in a liquor store under 21. I was not trying to buy as I was with someone who was 21 and he was not trying to buy from me. Apparently in Delaware you cannot enter a liquor store if you are under 21, which is different than where I am from (NJ) where you can be in the store as long as you are not trying to buy anything. Anyway so I wasn't arrested or anything but I was given a summons for it and was given probation before judgement. The judge told me if I stayed trouble free for 2 years that everything would be wiped from my record. Now I did this successfully and went to court 2 years later and payed the fee and was told that it was completely wiped. Now my question is if I have to put any of this on my application? Anyone know?

Oh and the penalty for the probation before judgement if I did not stay clean was just to have it stay on my record... not go to jail or anything

Comment

Thanks for the response up on base.. would my probation before judgement have to be listed as yes i've been on probation? I called the police department that all of this was through and they said they didn't know the answer.

Comment

It would be in your best interest to list EVERYTHING including things you are unsure about. During your initial, the Boss will ask you about it and you can be more elaborate. Its best for you to list it than for them to ask you months down the road in the BI. Notice I said "months".

Comment

No Biggie

Originally posted by Up_On_Base
          When filling out any document for background, list it all upfront.

Your charge is not a big deal. Trust me, most federal agents were not all choir boys. What is expected is you tell everything and the truth.

Good luck
          He is correct it will not be a big deal........

Makes me wonder why the cop wrote such a silly summons...........
          "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
          German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

Originally posted by FormerUSAF View Post
            He is correct it will not be a big deal........

Makes me wonder why the cop wrote such a silly summons...........

Because not all Cops work in the East End of the Bad News Like you!!

Former..

Some need to generate anything they can in LOL....
            A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing which is more important than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature and has no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself.
            J.S. Mill

Comment

If you do not list it you can be sure you will be DQ'd later for non disclosure. Be honest about your past. Noone is squeaky clean.

Comment

That is true.........

Originally posted by Statetriple View Post
                Because not all Cops work in the East End of the Bad News Like you!!

Former..

Some need to generate anything they can in LOL....
                LOL..............that is what I was thinking "bored cop"

Statetriple,

Wish I could be a big statey like you ..........LOL
                "No battle plan survives contact with the enemy"

Helmuth Karl Bernhard Graf von Moltke
                German Generalfieldmarshall

Comment

Well I just got off with the court who I went through and they said it is completely off my record. They said not to disclose it because there would be no paper work whatsoever saying I had the summons and that it was removed.

Yes, I agree that it was a pretty stupid summons, but the cops were tough and numerous at U of D. I just couldn't believe I didn't even get a warning. The undercover cop approached me when my friend was getting inline, asked for my id and I gave him my NJ license. He told me that it was illegal to be in the store under the age of 21. I said that I did not know that, that in NJ it wasn't that way, I did not touch anything in the store or have a conversation dealing with alcohol or the store. He wanted to arrest me... I was like you have got to be kidding right?

Comment

up on base: would probation before judgement be considered probation? it was probation to erase it from my record, not jail or anything like that.

Comment

It does not matter if this incident shows up anywhere on paper. Like Up on Base I am former USSS. This matter will probably come up in your polygraph. You can not hide it and should not hide it. It should be a non-issue. Failing to disclose it and having the USSS (or any agency for that matter) find it will DQ you. Honesty is the best policy.

Best of luck in the process.

Comment

Tell the FULL truth. not just what you think will or will not show up. Your past is no big deal as long as you are upfront about it unless you are in your early 20s.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys, I appreciate it. I completely agree, I want to be completely honest through this process. It would be Delaware law, as that is where the incidence occurred. I'm going to guess that this is classified as a misdemeanor?

Comment

and I'm 26 if that matters

Comment

You will probably be ok. Just be upfront about every single thing. What you did sounds like a mis to me but if you really wanted to be sure you could call the county in which it happened and speak with an ada about it. If this is your only bump in the road you don't have much to worry about as far as your BI goes. Best of luck to you.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9589 users online. 453 members and 9136 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X