Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs for non- US citizens

Hey everyone,

I know this a fairly common wish for people so I apologise if my questions have already been answered a number of times, I just can't seem to find anything too specific to what I'm looking for.

I'm seriously considering a move to the United States once I have graduated from university, but I still wish to go into law enforcement. I've done as much research as I can and have found the states that do not require US citizenship to be hired, but I was wondering what my chances are of actually gaining employment, in what is already a very competitive field, as a non-US citizen. I have no family ties to the US either so appreciate the difficulty of even being granted permanent residency.

Also, do any federal agencies or state police accept applications for sworn positions from non US citizens? Do any of you know of any foreign nationals who have been appointed?

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.

Tony.
    Last edited by Tony1989; 01-17-2009, 09:50 AM.
    It's not the badge that is most important, but the heart behind it.

Gonna be a tough one. Permanent residency is your first hurdle, and once you have that, only a very few departments will accept applicants who are not US citizens.

Federal agencies will not accept apps from non-us citizens. That's a given. States are the same. The departments that will are likely non-accredited and very small.

You'll have to get a green card (exceptional skill worker or lottery) and then apply for citizenship five years later.

I'm a naturalized US citizen who came to the USA from the UK 20 years ago. It'd be like a US citizen interested in working for MI6...

Comment

Tony, everyone will tell you that its tough this and that.

i've been living in US since '96 and been going to school since a little kid.... JUST recently I got my work permit, and I will be moving to Colorado from FL because they are one of the few states that will allow non citizens (a work permit is sufficient) to get a job. some depts require citizenship, but over half just say 'legally work in US' i've called and asked to few to confirm.

so, if you want to do this and do LEO, (like me) Colorado is place to go. your other options are Chicago PD, and Alaska I believe (or and Hawaii) Colorado made most sense to me, so that is where I'm going.

Comment

Originally posted by JI603 View Post
        Gonna be a tough one. Permanent residency is your first hurdle, and once you have that, only a very few departments will accept applicants who are not US citizens.

Federal agencies will not accept apps from non-us citizens. That's a given. States are the same. The departments that will are likely non-accredited and very small.

You'll have to get a green card (exceptional skill worker or lottery) and then apply for citizenship five years later.

I'm a naturalized US citizen who came to the USA from the UK 20 years ago. It'd be like a US citizen interested in working for MI6...
        not entirely true. like I said in my previous post, colorado is one place you can do this without even a green card. CO is accredited, and is not small (take Colorado state police for example)

Comment

not entirely true. like I said in my previous post, colorado is one place you can do this without even a green card. CO is accredited, and is not small (take Colorado state police for example)

here is CSP

http://csp.state.co.us/SEL_MQ_DQ.html

Applicants do not have to be US Citizens to apply, however, an applicant must have documentation that allows them to live and work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services. Documentation is specified by the Form I-9 issued by the Department of Homeland Security.
          look at my threads, and go through them.... i've been doing my research on this topic

Comment

Thanks for the answers guys they're much appreciated.
            I've found some older posts in the forums with say that there are 14 states which don't require US citizenship to be appointed- of these Colorado looks like a great bet for me too!
            Eyildiz and JI603 it's a great advantage to be able to speak to people who have been there and done exactly what im considering -can I ask you how you got the whole process of moving out there started? Im only in my first year of university so if there is anything i can do now that would be great.

Tony

Comment

Do you speak any foreign languages?

Comment

If you want to stay here and be a cop why don't you try to become a citizen? College takes yrs to finish. By the time you are out you will be well on your way to becoming a USC.

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                  If you want to stay here and be a cop why don't you try to become a citizen?
                  ??
                  Because u need to be permanent resident for 5 years to be eligible to apply for u.s. citizenship. (2 exeptions: marry a u.s. citizen or join the u.s. army; the time to be eligible to will be foreshortened to 3 years)

The hardest part will be getting a greencard. (I'm trying for years...)
                  International Police Exchange Programs

Comment

Originally posted by eyildiz View Post

here is CSP

http://csp.state.co.us/SEL_MQ_DQ.html

look at my threads, and go through them.... i've been doing my research on this topic
                    No point in arguing with you if you're sure of your research, but I stand by my earlier post.

The only way one can come to the USA and work is with an H1B Visa (special skills, like I posted) or by winning the green card lottery. Sure you can marry a US citizen or come for the seasonal work, but those are the two ways.

If you come on an H1B working for, say, Sun microsystems and then decide you want to become a cop, you'd lose your employer visa-sponsor, and have no right to work here...

The other way is to convert your visa to Green Card/Permanent Residency, and then apply for citizenship -

Your sig line says you're in the process for a Colorado agency, so good luck to you.

I do find it strange that COSP would hire someone who doesn't have a green card, and so their time in the USA is temporary and limited by an H1B Visa to 5 or 6 years... more time requires a green card and permanent resident status.

Comment

What is your current immigration status tony1989?
                      Last edited by SHU; 01-20-2009, 08:39 PM. Reason: i

Comment

No i don't speak any foreign languages to a high enough level to really be able to note them- though i do speak french well enough to get by if need be!

SHU I'm a British citizen and I havn't started down the road of getting my green card or anything else just yet.

How does just getting a work permit and getting a green card/permanent residence differ then?

I can see already how complicated this would all be!

Tony.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony1989 View Post
                          No i don't speak any foreign languages to a high enough level to really be able to note them- though i do speak french well enough to get by if need be!

SHU I'm a British citizen and I havn't started down the road of getting my green card or anything else just yet.

How does just getting a work permit and getting a green card/permanent residence differ then?

I can see already how complicated this would all be!

Tony.

Consider the many classes of people in the US:

Holiday visitors w/visa, or from countries with visa waiver status.
                          H1B worker (5 or 6 year validity, to perform a job that can't be done by a US citizen)
                          H2 Visa - agricultural/temporary seasonal laborer.... short time visa
                          Student
                          Permanent Resident w/right to work.
                          Naturalized US citizen

You get a green card by first getting an H1B Visa, working for a company who then sponsors your green card application. After you've had your green card for 5 years you can apply for citizenship.

If it were easy, half of eastern europe and all of mexico would be here.

Comment

If it were easy, half of eastern europe and all of mexico would be here.
                            But Tony n me r from western europe and we don't speak any spanish...
                            So give us a Greencard, please...
                            International Police Exchange Programs

Comment

thanks for the response again JI603.

will any police departments sponsor a green card application?

I agree with you thomas on this one!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7043 users online. 261 members and 6782 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X